Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:17:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fuck, There's a Spider In My Room...

Started by SOTS, May 01, 2007, 12:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

Quote from: "chumfatty"The absence of evidence is not evidence itself.
I'm not suggesting it is, but if there's no evidence for something, there's no reason to believe it's true. The onus is always on the affirmative to provide the evidence, or else the reasonable position should be that the claim is not true.

buntyman

Think yourself lucky its only spiders you have to worry about. I've not long moved back home with my parents and they were completely oblivious to the fact the house is overrun by mice (living next to a large field and a river is the excuse but little consolation). Every time I hear scurrying and scratching in the night, I fear for the safety of my beloved comics and LP covers. I caught about 12 in my room the first couple of weeks I returned home but it seems to have quietened down a bit since. Nothing is more unsettling than being woken up in the middle of the night by high-pitched squealing from a mouse struggling for survival in a trap four feet from your bed.
I'm probably digesting two or three of the bastards a week in my sleep, think I might have to go on a diet and stay at some spider infested houses for a while.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If you have a mug/pint glass and paper/mag to hand, scoop it up and chuck it out of the window.

In the absence of such equipment, don your finest walking boots and stamp the bugger into spidey heaven.

buntyman

Think yourself lucky its only spiders you have to worry about. I've not long moved back home with my parents and they were completely oblivious to the fact the house is overrun by mice (living next to a large field and a river is the excuse but little consolation). Every time I hear scurrying and scratching in the night, I fear for the safety of my beloved comics and LP covers. I caught about 12 in my room the first couple of weeks I returned home but it seems to have quietened down a bit since. Nothing is more unsettling than being woken up in the middle of the night by high-pitched squealing from a mouse struggling for survival in a trap four feet from your bed.
I'm probably digesting two or three of the bastards a week in my sleep, think I might have to go on a diet and stay at some spider infested houses for a while.

Quote from: "Artemis"
I'm not suggesting it is, but if there's no evidence for something, there's no reason to believe it's true. The onus is always on the affirmative to provide the evidence, or else the reasonable position should be that the claim is not true.
Depends if you're talking about  scientifically verifiable spiders or transcendent spiders.  Please see various other threads for full details.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Artemis

Yuck, that's horrible! I stayed with a friend in Shanghai last September who had absolutely no problem at all with the fact that there were lots and lots of cockroaches in her shabby apartment. Every time I would be about to drift off to sleep, I'd hear their scuttling, and in the end I just stayed awake until I could be sure that they were all dead, and there was no way any more could get into my room. The walls must have been completely infested by them. It still makes me shudder to think about it.

Artemis

Quote from: "sick as a pike"
Quote from: "Artemis"
Depends if you're talking about  scientifically verifiable spiders or transcendent spiders.  Please see various other threads for full details.
I'm talking about scientifically verifiable spiders, as I'd have thought was obvious. I always find it a bit incongruous when somebody tries to introduce the abstract as part of this kind of argument. Like you said, probably best stick to other threads on this subject though ;-)

Uncle TechTip

I have an irrational fear of people who post big long words without any spaces, which makes the page stretch, and they don't even notice what they've done.

buttgammon

Quote from: "Uncle TechTip"Ihaveanirrationalfearofpeoplewhopostbiglongwordswithoutanyspaces,whichmakesthepagestretch,andtheydon'tevennoticewhatthey'vedone.

Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Idon'tthinkthatworkedproperly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the midnight watch baboon

I wouldn't worry, SOTS, it probably just came in to lay its (possibly freakishly genetically altered) many spider eggs and then trotted off to get a digicam.

Mr. Analytical

"Maaaaaarge... there's a spider near my car keys!"

surreal

Hmmm... better seal up your back door too according to this:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1263904,00.html

QuoteSpider Alert! False Widow Numbers Grow

Updated: 11:49, Thursday May 03, 2007
Global warming is helping a poisonous spider brought to the UK from the Canary Islands to thrive in our back gardens, it has emerged.

The false widow spider is growing in numbers after it first started to arrive in banana shipments from the Spanish islands around 1870.  This is being put down to the increased temperatures in the UK.

Michael and Pam Willis recently found one of the spiders - often confused with the deadly black widow - in the garden of their home in Verwood, Dorset.  Mrs Willis, 62, said: "It was black and shiny, not like a normal, hairy spider.  "It's terrifying if numbers are rising. I'm worried about our grandchildren."

Stuart Hine, of London's Natural History Museum, said: "There has been a dramatic increase over the past seven to 10 years, no doubt due to global warming. They survive winters to mate.

"There are probably tens of thousands, and in a few years they will be in every garden in the south of England and more will be spotted higher up the country."

The museum's web site says the frequency of Steatoda nobilis bite reports is increasing as the species spreads in the south and east of England.

The spider's bite is not deadly but can cause swelling and severe pain.

buttgammon

I think I'm going to kill myself now! Just not in the bathroom because there's a spider on the ceiling in there.

Uncle TechTip

OH NOES thinkofthechildren!!! Oh, actually it only causes swelling. Big deal.

buttgammon

But it looks horrible!

And I've got a swollen jaw now. You don't think one bit me while I was asleep last night?

Jemble Fred

Go and take a hot bath, that'll burst it.

SetToStun

Quote from: "the midnight watch baboon"Spidereggslaidinyourjaw!

Given your track record, if it's going to happen to anyone, it'll happen to you first. You're like our little danger barometer, you are. Keep us informed...

Durr, okay then! Now I work for a private hospital I should get good free treatment. Am off ill today though, in me third week there so mightn't be there long.

Lady Beaner

I've been in this flat for a little over a year and have not seen a single spider... until this morning! half awake in bed and staring at the ceiling, I see a tiny blob ahead of the lighting fixture. I pop my specs on and there it is. A fucking spider. I didn't panic, I just sort of looked at it, got out of bed and had breakfast in the living room. I have just come back and the fucking thing has disappeared.

*looks around*

Holy fuck, it's above my head on the ceiling as I type this! See you later!!

Jemble Fred

You're right to be afraid, he might have a gun.

Cack Hen

How can people just leave rooms with spiders in as if that's some sort of solution? They have to be exterminated so you know it can't be lingering. Last year a really nasty looking garden spider escaped my magazine whack, so I filled the room with a whole can of bug killer and sealed the doors.

Yeah, that's right, you won't beat me, spiders. I will gas you out.

Lady Beaner

Well, it's currently taken a detour and is heading towards the top end of my bed. I cannot kill the fucker either as my ceiling is too high. I did get the hoover out to suck up the fucker, but just discovered that the hoover is fucked. Every time a stray hair falls out of the band and hits my neck I am jumping!

chocky909

The Plaque Goblin

I heard they crawl into our ear holes during the night.

Lady Beaner

OK, so it's still in bedroom.. ooh close enough to kill.. hang on!

Right, it's finally gone.

Anyway, I was out with someone last night and I was talking about my spider bedroom predicament. He told me that when he was 8 years old he woke up one morning and felt something itching him in his ear. Oh yes... he pull a spider out of his ear!! BLEURGH! Understandly he is now fucking terrified of them. So, apparently it does happen!

surreal

Quote from: "Lady Beaner"Understandly he is now fucking terrified of them. So, apparently it does happen!

...and the chances of getting him back to your spider-infested room dropped to zero too... never mind eh?

Lady Beaner

The Plaque Goblin