Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:26:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

You're drunk, you're a girl, you've just been chucked by your crap boyfriend, it's raining outside it's Friday and mascara's running down your face...

Started by Ciarán2, May 16, 2007, 08:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciarán2

...so what are you listening to?

That's the question I've been asking myself today. The obvious answer to the question is "You'd be listening to Gabrielle! We've all seen Bridget Jones' Diary!" But Gabrielle's a bit shit. i'm looking for a bit of a chat about tear-drenched girly pop. Largely, this has been inspired by my new found love of Candie Payne's new single "I Wish I Could Have Loved You More". She was on Later... recently, you can watch here clip here...

So that put me in mind of Dusty at her best. I've been playing Dusty for a while now as I go about my business. "The Complete A and B Sides 1963-1970" and "Dusty In Memphis" to be precise. But this is a bit of a genre, isn't it? Weepy girl-pop. It was big in the 60s I think, because I'm immediately put in mind of Lesley Gore's "You Don't Own Me" and "It's My Party". The Shangri-las were a bit too tragic to fit the category. I mean they were singing about death most of the time. The kind of heartbreaks they sang about were often of the fatal cardiac arrest variety, one suspects. No, what I'm getting at here is the being-chucked and getting pissed to drown your sorrows type thing. Nothing too "sassy" or bolshy.

Laura Nyro's probably a bit too heavy for what I mean. The likes of Dusty, Sandy and Cilla did this stuff best. Cilla's "Anyone Who Had A Heart" is brilliant, better than Dionne Warwick's version. ABBA's "Knowing Me Knowing You" fits the mould too. "Walking through an empty house, tears in my eyes/ Here is where the story ends, this is goodbyyyyyyyeeeeee..." That's a great line.

Your thoughts (and recommendations), please!

daisy11

Dusty definitely, but this is fab:

Susan Cadogan's Hurt so Good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fASRDQ6QQA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mCGWWI7tuw

So good, I had to post it twice.

Sorry C, not quite maudlin enough for your thread but it's a wonderful song.

Ciarán2

Oh no, that's definitely a good one. Lover's Rock generally is good - that's the music you play in between the long sobbing-bouts, while you're catching your breath and opening a new bottle of cheap wine. (Sorry about these cliched generalisations...) Am I right in thinking Pete Waterman plugged that record in the UK?

daisy11

No idea about the P Waterman connection, the guy who introduced it to me had the original, ah what a record collection he has ...

monkhouse terror

Hurt so Good is fantastic. Even though I am the mostly manly male young testosterone fulled man in the world who likes trains and diggers and listens to stuff like lightning bolt it is one of those songs i constantly return to when i feel all girly and emotional and all that shit and it never fails in fulfilling its task of letting me wallow around like a big menstrual 30 year old middle management type

My suggestion for the thread: "You don't own me" by Lesby i mean Lesley Gore (hurr)

EDIT: ok i read the rest of the first post and this was mentioned. but whatever, you didn't provide a VIDEO did you? eh! there you go, divvunt complain

CaledonianGonzo

Facetious answer?  She's listening to 'I Will Survive', like a boot stamping on a human face - forever.  Or Robbie Williams's Angels.

Unlikely, but more tasteful answer?  Dionne Warwick.

Anyone Who Had A Heart or Are You There With Another Girl?, for preference:

Or, if said girl happens to be in Jamaica, she's listening to this wondrous, wondrous cover by Dawn Penn.  Been looking for an excuse to post this for ages.  It's maybe too jolly for heartbreak, but the lyrics tell a tale of woe and infedility.  Gonna dupe it up in SDJ as well, cos it's ace:

http://rapidshare.com/files/31686119/14_Are_You_There.mp3

Edit:  ha ha.  Ciaran foretold Anyone Who Had A Heart as well.

CaledonianGonzo

OK, after getting scooped up there, I'll try again.  Marianne Faithfull with 'As Tears Go By':

http://rapidshare.com/files/31687088/As_Tears_Go_By.mp3

Adorable as she was, it was probably wasted on the interviewer in this clip:

Bit of a flat performance, but you get the idea.  Nico was certainly watching.

Cack Hen

A bit cheesy? Well, the synth is a little bit much, yes, but even that's charming. I dunno, I just think it manages to be really simple but really, really beautiful at the same time. Lord knows I've spent enough time playing this and wistfully thinking about somebody else. Actually, I've just realised this probably doesn't fit here because it's a more song about wanted love rather than a lost love (although I reckon there could easily be a case for the latter)

It's the lyric, 'won't you ever know that I'm in love with you' that does it for me. Again, simple but comforting.

Goldentony

Hmm this came into my mind when i read the title, the stuff about rain and mascara and all that shit goes together perfectly with the song.

lazyhour

Just listened to that Candie Payne track.  Hmm, we already have a Broadcast, and (when it goes a bit crapper) we already have a Morcheeba.

What is point?

Or am I missing something?

Nice idea for a thread, though, even for those of us who haven't read or seen Bridget Jones' Diary because we have sense.

clareQuilty

I don't know about the girl bit but I think this is a rather nice song and has a similar sort of sentiment to the one you're getting at (I think)

CaledonianGonzo

daisy11

Some of the above are lovely, but she's drank the wine, had a clothes swap with friends, moaned and ranted and is now hurt/angry sooooo it's 'Ciao' , the Jarvis/Lush duet.
Sorry can't find it on youtube but I have the CD somewhere, I could try and get techy and use that sendit thingy.
Here's Ladykillers instead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CozaPTqCC5Q

daisy11

And now she's just had an apologetic text from him so after playing, Dusty's 'Breakfast in Bed', her ex comes over and he, great manipulator, puts this on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-v__QK2h0

She breaks down and goes back to sobbing.

clareQuilty

Lush, I had a major crush on Miki Berenyi. I still do probably. 'Ciao' is actually my least favourite of their songs but even then it's still a blinder.

'Light From A Dead Star' though, still gives me chills listening to it. Beautiful stuff.

samadriel

And if I seem to be confused
I didn't mean to be with you
And when you said I scared you,
Well I guess I scared me too
But if it's love you're looking for
Then I can give a little more
So if you're somewhere, drunk passed out on the floor
Joey, I'm not angry anymore

...Sorry.