Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:56:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Started by Emma Raducanu, May 21, 2007, 05:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

39 years ago, what was our vision of 2007? Washing machines, cars for all, dvds, popular internet, mobile phones, mp3 players, foreign package holidays, meals for one, laptop music, tesco?

What will 2046 be like? What will have been invented?

I hope for jet packs, shared dreaming adventures and for marriage at birth.

Totem Hokum

Nueral cloning - being able to make a copy of your mind to paste into a fresh body, a physical clone of yourself in your prime.

Saygone

It will be a slightly too long, slightly too confusing homage to film noir but everybody will be asian.  And there will be a train of memories that serves as somehting of a deus ex machina but ultimately explains nothing.

Sivead

It's about bloody time they made proper hoverboards, we were promised! And a robot mum.

chocky909

I think it'll be like 1984. The book I mean, not the year. Now that WOULD be awful.

Neil

Fuuuccck, I've been meaning to start almost the exact same thread!  I'd best get on with my "the practicalities of being a ghost" one sharpish.

And see, I knew someone would say hoverboards.  People always say hoverboards!  

I think there'll be advances in music, where it will be more closely tied with images.  And then we'll have to erect a statue to Jeff Minter.

lactating man nips

I think life will be much the same as today except oil will be ridiculously more expensive and computer games will have much better graphics.

Uncle TechTip

Someone always says "complete meal in a pill" too (usually me). But what those crazy futurists in the 60s didn't consider is how this product would take off, since people generally wouldn't want to end the whole experience around meals (the "meal experience", if you will). However the range of dried/prepacked/processed foods is now enormous, astronauts and soldiers have a remarkable array of choice, so maybe their predictions did come true in some form.

Peking O

This book might be of interest. I haven't read it, but it's along the same lines as some of the comments in this thread:

And here's a review:

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2007/05/12/jetpack/

Deadman97

T-shirt available here which might be of interest to the OP:

Personally, I believe in thirty years things will be the same only shittier- we'll have a more expensive, dirty and stressful world but that'll be the only difference.

Neil

The thing is that advances tend to creep up on you, really, and I think you end up mostly noticing them when you look back years later.  It's just too easy to take things for granted.  The internet is a perfect example, I think it's astonishing what you can do with it.  I remember being amazed when South Park came out that people were making perfectly watchable RealVideo files of it and putting them up for download right after they came out.  They were 35 megs or so, and I thought wow, this'd be a great way to spread Brass Eye.  Then you zoom forwards a few years, and not only is pretty much every single TV program ripped and uploaded right after broadcast, it's also done in bloody good quality.  

And the way it's changed my music listening has been a revolution.  I can sit here and listen to music from any point in it's recorded history!  At the click of a button!  You can sit and listen to streaming wax cynlinder encodes, or download absolutely tons of 78rpm records.  That's fucking AMAZING to me.  Simlarily, you can go onto those sites where they host books that have gone out of copyright (Guttenburg project?), and download loads of classics.  Then I can wirelessly squirt them over to my DS, and keep a bundle of them on there for whenever I feel like flicking through them.  

Even that you can log onto sites and forums like this now, and see embedded YouTube videos...I find that incredible.  And the stuff people are uploading, I mean I can go and watch old soundies, fantastic live performances, unreleased footage that people have had sitting about for donkeys etc etc.

But I reckon all this lovely stuff in the future will be really closely monitored... I think we will live in more totalitarian times.

Neil

Quote from: "Sivead"And a robot mum.

Although it was a new one of the inventor that I was actually looking for. I did just find a video of that woman one moving though.  Another vid here.  

And, ah, here's what I was after:

link
QuoteSeems like Hiroshi Ishiguro decided that if he's going to be a roboticist he might as well be a total badass about it, and has developed an "angry eyes" version of himself, the Geminoid HI-1. Other than a few Parent Trap inspired shenanigans we're sure he pulls on fellow researchers at ATR Intelligent Robotics and Communication Laboratories near Kyoto, Ishiguro is mainly using the bot to teach his classes for him, and creep out students with lifelike movements such as blinking, "breathing" and fidgeting. The bot can be remotely controlled via a motion capture system that tracks Ishiguro's mouth movements and allows the bot to speak his voice -- or that of an assistant if he's feeling particularly listless. The incredible realism comes from silicone molds cast from Ishiguro's own body, similar to the process behind a certain female resident of the uncanny valley, and is a bit of an experiment in the viability of telepresence. Ishiguro wants to find out if he can really command the attention of a classroom with a mere robot doppelgänger, but we're sure he doesn't mind skipping that commute either.

EDIT:  Better article here.

Huzzie

Quote from: "Neil"
Quote from: "Sivead"And a robot mum.

(picture)

Although it was a new one of the inventor that I was actually looking video of that woman one moving[/url] though.  Another vid here.  

"Video: Lifelike Robot Waves Away Skeptics"

Haha. I read that as "Lifelike Robot waves like s*****c"

Cack Hen

Real Dolls on the NHS.

(Disclaimer: This post is in no way linked to posts I may have made in the 'Your Virginity' thread. Yet.)

ccab

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"But I reckon all this lovely stuff in the future will be really closely monitored... I think we will live in more totalitarian times.

I completely disagree, I think society is as totalitarian now as its going to get and by 2046 a backlash will well under way - the powers that be will have a steadily more difficult task concealing their sciences & agendas... until the next totalitarian season in history.

By 2046, most forms of cancer will have been cured and SENS therapies will either be close or at least under serious discussion. Genetic engineering will be commonplace and congenital disability will begin to vanish from the developed world.

With any luck, by 2046, Tony Blair will be dead.

Also, the Chinese will be apparent as the world's main superpower, and their culture will begin to be more pervasive - there'll be chinese superstars we can all name. America will already be blase about it's last hurrah 20 years earlier when it put a man on Mars. The west will still be at loggerheads with the muslim world and a handful of atrocities will be commemorated in London each year. There'll hav been another major middle eastern conflict with a less certain outcome. We'll all be comfortable with the alternative political rules observed by Iran, South America and Russia.

The global warming fundamentalists will be quieter and chagrined at a slightly colder world. The world's greatest minds will discover at last that temperatures on our planet are actually controlled by the Sun.

But technologically, who knows? I'm sure the internet will be infinitely vaster and stranger, and gadgets far more subtly integrated with our bodies.

And culturally there'll be a huge appetite & demand for more sophisticated films & music. When the rush of technical & FX innovations is over, there'll be a small cultural rennaissance, & by 2046 everyone will be aware of it.

It'll be ace, but who wants to be an old man?

Peking O

Quote from: "ccab"With any luck, by 2046, Tony Blair will be dead.

I thought you said cancer would be cured by then?

thangewverymuchandgoodnight

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Medical science will mean that 60 becomes the new 35, which will be good as we'll probably all be working until we're 90.

As long as advances in genetic engineering mean that I can have superpowers without mutating into a hideous manbeast, I'll be happy.

chocky909

Quote from: "ccab"The world's greatest minds will discover at last that temperatures on our planet are actually controlled by the Sun.

Yeah, who needs an atmosphere eh?

buttgammon

People will still be looking for Maddy McCann, the greatest person ever to have lived in human history who is now in her forties and making every single person on the planet cry on their yellow ribbons even more as every nanosecond passes.

Artemis

I agree with Neil - technology just creeps up on you and you hardly realise the revolution until you've got hindsight. The internet isn't really an invention per say, but as a revolution, it's the 'wheel' of the information age, no question.

Helicopters still make me go 'wow', video iPods are a thing of wander, too. I guess the technological advance that's made me pause for breath most over the last few years was the first time I paused live television. I don't quite know why, but man - it blew me away.

Is this an omen of things to come?

How will technology advance, then? Minority Report is a really interesting movie in this regard. Apparently Spielberg met with several leading 'Think Tanks' to get an insider's view on what the future might look like. Certainly individualised 3D advertising in public spaces is something I can see happening, as is an under the skin, scanable chip for all things financial. The Christians have been saying it for years, although they also thought the barcode was the symbol of the antichrist at one point.

Neil

Quote from: "Artemis"video iPods are a thing of wander, too.

Good job, or they'd be useless.

QuoteI guess the technological advance that's made me pause for breath most over the last few years was the first time I paused live television. I don't quite know why, but man - it blew me away.

YES!  I found that too when I got a freeview with a builtin hard disc.  And then I could come back and spool through the adverts in order to catch up and 'go live' again, very cool.

I was at my sisters last week and was looking at the 4OD thingy she has built into her NTL box or whatever.  And that was good, tons of shows you could just watch, Absolutely, Adm and Joe, Planet Earth etc.  Then I tried to get some music up, and there was TONS of bands and music videos.  But, uh oh, they were all being flogged.  You had to pay 49p or something for each one.  So then I got the message, and saw that this is what jutl is always talking about...they're trying to get you used to getting stuff in this manner, so they can then charge you for it.  And the big thing is that you DON'T OWN IT anymore!  You are merely renting this stuff out for a day or for a limited number of plays, and then it deletes itself, and you have to pay when you want to see/hear it again.

Fuck that!

Artemis

I'm starting to suspect that one of the negative ramifications of the internet is going to be the gradual shrinking into non-existence of the Public Domain, when it comes to ownership of just about anything. The larger corporations are desperately trying to shift our understanding of ownership of material, from it being free for all as soon as its 'put out there', to being under strict control of it's creators, authors, distributors, etc. and that any ownership by the public is strictly temporary and only by express permission. As it has stood for many a year, when material reaches about 50 years old (I think), all copyrights loose their power and it just becomes 'available material'. We're already seeing a move towards a reversal of this convention, with the news, here, that copyrights will stay for much longer with their current owners. As corporations move to buy archives and apply for new and extended copyrights, will we see the steady decline in the free access of the very information the internet initially gave us access to?

The steady growth of DRM, licences and media files that effectively destroy themselves after a brief rental period will likely grow and the first 20 years of the internet will be seen as it 'finding its feet', or seen another way, it will be the period the corporations define and lobby for new legislation that give them the best position in the battle to own the 'net.

Neil

Any more ideas, folks?

Glebe

Flying Taxis and Cafe 2000, where Max Headroom Bushes and Bin Ladens serve Diet Evian.

Labian Quest

I tend to go along with the people who are predicting that the cost of fuel is going to make transportation of just about anything so expensive that we will have returned to much more localised industry and food production, local shops for local people, etc.

Toad in the Hole

Quote from: Totem Hokum on May 21, 2007, 05:57:28 PM
Nueral cloning - being able to make a copy of your mind to paste into a fresh body, a physical clone of yourself in your prime.

You might want to give Michel Houellebecq's book 'The Possibility of an Island' a go.

My guess is RTE will still be showing Reeling In The Years.

Glebe

Yeah, they'll play Tainted Love-The 2020 remix over images of Bertie Ahern Jnr. getting elected....

Milo

I know people have been saying it forever but with the advances being made I think we'll be able to say goodbye to major illness by 2046. Or, at least, to static illness like cancer. Things that can evolve like HIV and other wossnames might stay ahead of the curve but I think a massive amount of things will be virtually abolished.

I wonder what people thought our medicine would be like 39 years ago.