Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:49:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

General Comics Chat (plus My Faith In Frankie)

Started by Mister Six, February 04, 2004, 11:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

A jealous god or a boyfriend back from the dead. Who would YOU choose?

Hello there!

Before Cook'd and Bomb'd exploded, I started a thread to encourage all you lovely lot to buy a comic book called My Faith In Frankie, a rom-com tale of teenage love and hot sects.

Frankie Moxon has led a charmed life thanks to Jeriven, her personal god. But now she's fallen for the gorgeous (and once dead) Dean Baxter, and things are going horribly wrong. Can Jeriven reclaim his only worshipper? Can Frankie finally get a sex life? And can Dean avoid dying again?

Find out in this four-issue miniseries ISSUE 2 OUT THURSDAY 4th FEBRUARY.

Oh, and I suppose you can talk about other comics too.

king mob

Try Mark Millar's The Unfunnies, its odd but has Mark's dodgy influences all over it, worth a look though.

Ronster

I read the thread from before Mister Six and when I was picking up my comics last night picked up the first two issues of Frankie...really enjoyed so thanks for that one!

Good read all round

Pilf

king mob

This might not really mean much for those who've only been reading comics a few years or know much about the history of comics but Julius Schwartz has died today in New York.

Schwartz was responsible for the Silver age of comics from the 50's & revived Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman & jump starting Superman & Batman from the 50's camp hell those characters fell into.

The link above gives links to fuller biographies, its worth checking out how much of a debt people owe him today.
Sadly with his death theres not a lot of the real pioneers of comics left alive, Will Eisner is the only one that springs instantly to mind.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "king mob"This might not really mean much for those who've only been reading comics a few years or know much about the history of comics but Julius Schwartz has died today in New York.

Schwartz was responsible for the Silver age of comics from the 50's & revived Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman & jump starting Superman & Batman from the 50's camp hell those characters fell into.

The link above gives links to fuller biographies, its worth checking out how much of a debt people owe him today.
Sadly with his death theres not a lot of the real pioneers of comics left alive, Will Eisner is the only one that springs instantly to mind.

Well Stan Lee's still alive, and whilst much (self) hyped, I think he could quite rightly claim to be a pioneer in the comics field.

king mob

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"
Quote from: "king mob"This might not really mean much for those who've only been reading comics a few years or know much about the history of comics but Julius Schwartz has died today in New York.

Well Stan Lee's still alive, and whilst much (self) hyped, I think he could quite rightly claim to be a pioneer in the comics field.

Stan is a pioneer but nowhere in the same league as Schwartz or Eisner, Stan's gift was the gift of a good salesman in that he sold the ideas the likes of Kirby, Ditko, Steranko etc within his own hyperbole.
He also rode the coat tails of Schwartz & ripped off several of his ideas ( F.F was J.L.A/Doom Patrol & the revival of Namor & Captain America among others) but he did start the competition with D.C that inspired Schwartz to keep on his toes & vice versa.
Steve Ditko is still alive as are Neal Adams & Jim Steranko but the original pioneers are now very thin on the ground.

king mob

Just a reminder that the annual Bristol Comics Festival is this coming May & that tickets go on sale very soon.

Theres this competition, which some of you may want to enter, closing date is March 1st.

El Unicornio, mang

for me, the late 80's/early 90's were the best time for comics. Marvel and DC were coming up with some fabulous dark storylines for their superhero titles, books like Hellblazer and Sandman were coming up, and independent publishers were springing up all over the place with really interesting comics about American culture.  Plus, the whole manga thing was crossing over thanks to the genius of Otomo's Akira and there were some fab movie tie-ins like Aliens and Terminator.
After that, I started to lose interest as the cross-overs got silly and the general look and feel of comics just became a bit too computery and staid. That said, I  really need to do a bit more investigating I think.

Mister Six

Speaking of manga, I picked up Junji Ito's Uzumaki book 1, the bizarre tale of a small Japanese village that has become infected by spirals taking the form of clouds, whirlpool and strange mutilations. Over the course of six episodic chapters, the people of Kurozu-Cho find themselves facing horrible obsessions, twisted love, a girl with a portal in her face and a really bad hair day. Think Eraserhead with a plot and you wouldn't be too far off.

The art steers away from the big eyes/sweat drops style associated with Manga and instead delivers scratchy, semi-realistic characters that make the sudden moments of surreality (a boy's spine twisting around 360 degres, an earwig with a man's face screaming for his former wife to kill herself) all the more disturbing. I'm intentionally avoiding all the best surprises partly because I don't want to diminish the shock value and partly because no prose, no matter how well written, could compete for sheer fucked-up value with the scenes found in this book.

Sensibly, publishers Viz Communications have reversed the book so that it no longer reads right-to-left (which is the Japanese way, of course) and whilst the translation lacks flair, the deadpan delivery adds to the oppressive sense of futility.

My only real complaint is that the stories are too reliant on the spiralling horror (pun intended, of course) of life in Kurozu-Cho, and not enough with the characters themselves. Certainly, the two protagonists - Kirie and Shuichi - get plenty of page time, but very little is really revealed about their pasts, and their only real function is to provide a focus for the story. Still, I've heard that the books (three in total) become far less episodic and more character-based as the series continues, so I'm really looking forward to the next book.

Tokyo Sexwhale

I was into Marvel Comics (AND NOT DC AT ALL) in the 1980's, until they started hiking their prices regularly (they were 25p each when I first started (c.1983)) and £1.50 by the time I gave up in the early 90's.

What's more they started publishing them every two weeks, instead of every month, and I found I was only buying them out of habit by then.

So, what's this about Peter Parker being a clone?

Harfyyn Teuport

I've not been collecting much at all recently. All we've got here is Planet Ace, a forbidden planet/ACE chain member that's well-stocked and staffed by decent people but with no real support for lines like America's Best Comics or My Faith In Frankie. Its entirely supply and demand as well, and because it's so rare to find things of interest that are left when the real dedicated "i'll see you at 6am" fans have been and gone, I often end up just picking up little one shots.

Two series I've been attempting to follow though have been;

SMAX THE ADVENTURER by Alan Moore and Zander Cannon

and
1602 by Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert

They've both been going really good. Smax is a spinoff adventure for Smax, a huge, strong, angry , bright blue cop from Top Ten in his journey to his homeland, a world of magic. It's a slight departure from Top Ten, which was my favourite on the ABC line but still maintains the brilliance, with a much more light hearted and comical feel. 1602 is much more well known I'm sure. Basic premise is marvel characters in the year 1602. That's all. It is very intriguing, it's a real slow burner, I'm not really fully sure what's going on yet. I love the art on it and the writing is good as well, but my lack of knowledge within the Marvel universe has left me wondering what exactly is going on. If anyone else is reading it I'd like to know who the quick bloke working for the Spaniards is??? I finally worked out that 'Rohjaz' the native American guide is Captain America, as in 'Rogers', and him being a *real* American.

Anyone else have any thoughts on those two?

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "Harfyyn Teuport"1602 is much more well known I'm sure. Basic premise is marvel characters in the year 1602. That's all. It is very intriguing, it's a real slow burner, I'm not really fully sure what's going on yet. I love the art on it and the writing is good as well, but my lack of knowledge within the Marvel universe has left me wondering who certain types are supposed to be. If anyone else is reading it I'd like to know who the quick bloke working for the Spaniards is??? I finally worked out that 'Rohjaz' the native American guide is Captain America, as in 'Rogers', and him being a *real* American.

Anyone else have any thoughts on those two?

I've not read 1602, but I guessed it was Quicksilver.  And that's confirmed by this:

http://www.shadowcatblue.com/1602/characters.html

Macerate and Petrify

Quote from: "Mister Six"
Still, I've heard that the books (three in total) become far less episodic and more character-based as the series continues, so I'm really looking forward to the next book.

They certainly get less episodic, but don't expect much more depth in the characters. It just gets progressively more ridiculous and then comes to a mighty anti-climax in my opinion. Its a good story though, and the film is good for a laugh.

Ronster

I've really been enjoying Smax - I loved Top Ten and this has been great as well

Marvel 1602 I have been reading but after the initial set up sort of wore off havent been that impressed...still got to read it to the end now havent I!

I enjoyed the latest Emma Frost spin off looking at her growing up - and the Ultimates has carried on being entertaining if frustrating with the later and later release dates!

The new Marvel series Secret War starts this week and the early reviews have been very positive - from what I understand its about things happening in the background of the Marvel universe - will pick it up and give it a butchers

Oh yeah and really enjoyed New Frontier the new DC title taking Green lantern back to the days when Hal Jordan was growing up - beautiful bold artwork and interesting read so far - hope it keeps up

Mister Six

Quote from: "Harfyyn Teuport"I've not been collecting much at all recently. All we've got here is Planet Ace, a forbidden planet/ACE chain member that's well-stocked and staffed by decent people but with no real support for lines like America's Best Comics or My Faith In Frankie. Its entirely supply and demand as well, and because it's so rare to find things of interest that are left when the real dedicated "i'll see you at 6am" fans have been and gone, I often end up just picking up little one shots.

You CAN get them to reserve and order comics for you, you know. It's what they do.

Harfyyn Teuport

Yeah, I know, but I tend to be a very casual shopper. And I don't trust them particularly. Said they could get me From Hell by Christmas, waited til 2 weeks into January and they said they couldn't get hands on it. Would only give me store credit, and I didn't fancy waiting 3 months to get what I spent for so I was left with browsing the shelves for something of interest. Picked up a few Tom Strongs and a big bastarding PREVIEW.

king mob

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"I was into Marvel Comics (AND NOT DC AT ALL) in the 1980's, until they started hiking their prices regularly (they were 25p each when I first started (c.1983)) and £1.50 by the time I gave up in the early 90's.

What's more they started publishing them every two weeks, instead of every month, and I found I was only buying them out of habit by then.

So, what's this about Peter Parker being a clone?

Ehhhhhh lad, when i were a boy it were 5p a comic & were all DC round our way.

Anyhow, the Spideclone story is amazingly complex & quite shite but if you want the story click here.

Godzilla Bankrolls

The new Secret Wars (which I'm yet to read) seems like a way to cash in on the 80s series, as it has nothing to do with the original (Bendis probably agreed to use the title just so he could do the story), and whilst the artwork looks great, every one is quick to cream themselves when an artist in the Alex Ross vein comes along.

Anyway, if you like the America's Best stuff, read Rick Veitch's Greyshirt trade. It's overflowing with ideas, great art and characterisation, and still manages to keep the original Tomorrow Stories stuff in continuity. It's one of those comics that leave you gasping (literally or metaphorically) after finishing it.

king mob

The problem with the Alex Ross clones is that they cant actually draw comics, they have pretty pictures that look great but fail to tell the story clearly.Artists seem to have forgotten some of the basics which is really sad & can i just say i cant look at Ashley Woods work without thinking Bill Sienkiewicz should go round his house & force him to rip eat every panel hes ripped off from him.

I know the irony that Sienkiewicz started out ripping off Neal Adams but Ashley Wood annoys me & he cant tell a story so blerrrrghgh to you

TotalNightmare

Hello to you.

Now, me, frankly has been been a ComicBook Guy by any stretch...

But i may now. I am a HUGE Ghostbusters fan and dedicated loyal follower and so when i heard that a new mature Ghostbusters Comic is on its way to help GB celebrate its 20th birthday this year, well...  could have cried.

The comics are set straight after the first film and continues as if the cartoon series and sequel hadnt happened...

Which i think is good.

If you want to know more, go here...

http://www.88mphstudios.com

and look in the Projects section of the website...

I hope to farts that it rocks.

king mob

Quote from: "Harfyyn Teuport"Yeah, I know, but I tend to be a very casual shopper. And I don't trust them particularly. Said they could get me From Hell by Christmas, waited til 2 weeks into January and they said they couldn't get hands on it. Would only give me store credit, and I didn't fancy waiting 3 months to get what I spent for so I was left with browsing the shelves for something of interest. Picked up a few Tom Strongs and a big bastarding PREVIEW.

If you tire of giving the evil that is Forbidden Planet your money try these guys.

http://www.comix-shop.co.uk/

They do  standing orders & mail you your books bagged & boarded if you like that kind of thing.

Mister Six

Just to get all geeky here (I mean... moreso), what's with the modern shiny, easily tearable bags? Where have all the sturdy, stretchy, "fit six comics at a time" bags gone? Have they vanished forever?

And big hurrahs to that Ghostbusters comic!

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "king mob"The problem with the Alex Ross clones is that they cant actually draw comics, they have pretty pictures that look great but fail to tell the story clearly.Artists seem to have forgotten some of the basics which is really sad & can i just say i cant look at Ashley Woods work without thinking Bill Sienkiewicz should go round his house & force him to rip eat every panel hes ripped off from him.

I know the irony that Sienkiewicz started out ripping off Neal Adams but Ashley Wood annoys me & he cant tell a story so blerrrrghgh to you[/quote

David Mack and Joe Quesada used the Sienkiewicz 'style' to good effect in the current run of Daredevil, using enough of their own ideas to get away with it.

Perhaps at this point, since I'm new, I'd better say that Sienkiewicz is my favourite artist. He seems to be doing very little at the moment, though I do like the look of his recent Thor cover. He seems to be harbouring a desire to do the DC/Marvel greats right now - like a lot of the 80s writers are doing - which shouldn't be sneered at automatically (Milligan, Morrison, Millar and Ennis are doing grand jobs). I think he may be doing an ongoing Batman series which could be ace if he's paired up with a good writer. As interesting as Stray Toasters is, it's almost unreadable compared to Elektra: Assassin.

king mob

Quote from: "Mister Six"Just to get all geeky here (I mean... moreso), what's with the modern shiny, easily tearable bags? Where have all the sturdy, stretchy, "fit six comics at a time" bags gone? Have they vanished forever?

And big hurrahs to that Ghostbusters comic!

Depends who your local shop buys them from, the newer type are awful and dont last.If you want the better quality try my main man here, Justin still has the selection even though the sites not been up[dated in a while.
Hes normally found at the major London marts & conventions across the country.

king mob

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"
Quote from: "king mob"The problem with the Alex Ross clones is that they cant actually draw comics, they have pretty pictures that look great but fail to tell the story clearly.Artists seem to have forgotten some of the basics which is really sad & can i just say i cant look at Ashley Woods work without thinking Bill Sienkiewicz should go round his house & force him to rip eat every panel hes ripped off from him.

I know the irony that Sienkiewicz started out ripping off Neal Adams but Ashley Wood annoys me & he cant tell a story so blerrrrghgh to you

David Mack and Joe Quesada used the Sienkiewicz 'style' to good effect in the current run of Daredevil, using enough of their own ideas to get away with it.

Perhaps at this point, since I'm new, I'd better say that Sienkiewicz is my favourite artist. He seems to be doing very little at the moment, though I do like the look of his recent Thor cover. He seems to be harbouring a desire to do the DC/Marvel greats right now - like a lot of the 80s writers are doing - which shouldn't be sneered at automatically (Milligan, Morrison, Millar and Ennis are doing grand jobs). I think he may be doing an ongoing Batman series which could be ace if he's paired up with a good writer. As interesting as Stray Toasters is, it's almost unreadable compared to Elektra: Assassin.

I dont like David Mack either (i shouldnt be so negative after Thistle winning) but he suffers from the inability to tell a story & his runs in Daredevil annoy me as the Bendis run is proving to be fantastic.

Sienkiewicz is doing a run on Batman with David Lapham writing once the Azzarello run is finished, may be worth looking at.

Smackhead Kangaroo

Quote from: "Mister Six"Speaking of manga, I picked up Junji Ito's Uzumaki book 1, the bizarre tale of a small Japanese village that has become infected by taking the form of clouds, whirlpool and strange mutilations. Over the spirals course of six episodic chapters, the people of Kurozu-Cho find themselves facing horrible obsessions, twisted love, a girl with a portal in her face and a really bad hair day. Think Eraserhead with a plot and you wouldn't be too far off.

The art steers away from the big eyes/sweat drops style associated with Manga and instead delivers scratchy, semi-realistic characters that make the sudden moments of surreality (a boy's spine twisting around 360 degres, an earwig with a man's face screaming for his former wife to kill herself) all the more disturbing. I'm intentionally avoiding all the best surprises partly because I don't want to diminish the shock value and partly because no prose, no matter how well written, could compete for sheer fucked-up value with the scenes found in this book.

Sensibly, publishers Viz Communications have reversed the book so that it no longer reads right-to-left (which is the Japanese way, of course) and whilst the translation lacks flair, the deadpan delivery adds to the oppressive sense of futility.

My only real complaint is that the stories are too reliant on the spiralling horror (pun intended, of course) of life in Kurozu-Cho, and not enough with the characters themselves. Certainly, the two protagonists - Kirie and Shuichi - get plenty of page time, but very little is really revealed about their pasts, and their only real function is to provide a focus for the story. Still, I've heard that the books (three in total) become far less episodic and more character-based as the series continues, so I'm really looking forward to the next book.

I've read a good deal (if not all I'm not sure) of htis and it's extremely unsettling, although I'd attribute more of that to the images than to the story not that the story isn't odd too.

that said I find it vaguely annoying that you've pointed out the "big eyes sweat drops" style, since while this is a steretype it's not a fair claim to be made as there is plenty out there that doesn't possess this. It also draws up connotations of kiddiness which obviosuly is immensely misleading.
additionally it doesn't strike me as remotely important whether Viz reverses the comic or not.

ANyway your complaint is well founded although I believe that having the characters as normal joe schmoes in those bizarre situations might be the point.

Godzilla Bankrolls

I'm yet to read Mack's latest stint on DD, but I thought Part Of A Hole was a good enough bridge from Guardian Devil to Bendis' outstanding work. Wake Up was simply a nice little avenue to wander down with Ben Urich, and doesn't neccessarily detract from (or add to, I suppose) the Bendis?Maleev storyline.

Mister Six

Smackhead Kangaroo - I acknowledged that the big eyes and sweat drops was "associated with Manga"; I didn't say that it was a feature of every Manga comic. I merely pointed it out for those people who immediately associate Japanese art with Pikachu.

I find that reading a comic "back to front" is counter-intuitive and gets in the way of enjoying the story. Especially when the panels haven't been resequenced so you have to read from right to left on each page as well as through the book. I say "sensibly" since it opens the book up to a wider audience, who might be put off by a "backwards" book.

I never complained about the characters being normal, only that they weren't particularly well developed.

king mob

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"I'm yet to read Mack's latest stint on DD, but I thought Part Of A Hole was a good enough bridge from Guardian Devil to Bendis' outstanding work. Wake Up was simply a nice little avenue to wander down with Ben Urich, and doesn't neccessarily detract from (or add to, I suppose) the Bendis?Maleev storyline.

That was ok but i find Mack very over rated in terms of artwork, storywise he can plot but he fails to tell a stroy well.

On a different note ,George Woodbridge MAD magazine artist has died.

They're dropping like flies.