Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:33:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

General Comics Chat (plus My Faith In Frankie)

Started by Mister Six, February 04, 2004, 11:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny J. Fish

I know this'll probably set off a tirade saying "Use google mongboy", but can anyone point out a decent resource for finding out more about Preacher and Hellblazer, the actual comic habit for me being a recent thing, I have about 185 issues of backstory to get through with Hellblazer, and a fair bit t find out about Mr Jesse Custer too, and all I can find are bad messageboards and poorly made geeksites. Ta!

P.S. My Faith in Frankie still ace, but I was dissapointed with Thessally:Witch for Hire. I hope the next 3 issues make up for it.

Shade

Oh what the hell, I'll stop lurking for 30 seconds and make a post.

Kinda on the topics of comics, theres a new Punisher movie trailer online,

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808472690&cf=trailer

Its trailer 2, and its looking alot better than the last trailer we saw, more like the punisher we have all come to know and love.

Oh, and at the moment I'm currenty reading Green Arrow: Quiver (By Kevin Smith) I'd hardly even heard of Green Arrow before reading this, and was pleasntly suprised. He's kinda like a modern day Robin Hood, who's come back from the dead, after being gone for 10 years. I wont go into it too much, but its worth checking out.

Umm, yeah, thats all I can think of right now.

Mister Six

Quote from: "Benny J. Fish"I know this'll probably set off a tirade saying "Use google mongboy", but can anyone point out a decent resource for finding out more about Preacher and Hellblazer.

Yeah, the Straight to Hell site at http://www.insanerantings.com/hell/ has tonnes of Hellblazer info. Write-ups of verying quality for the entire series are in progress, but you should be able to catch up on the missing issues by asking on the fourms. Which are down temporarily. Shite. Should be working by Monday though.

Alternately, you could ask me in this thread. The site would be more useful for general questions though.

As fr Preacher, try Preacher's Divinity at http://www.neonwheels.com/preacher/index.shtml - the site hasn't been updated for years (the comic's all wrapped up and done, y'see), but I think the forums are still plodding on.

Hope that helps!

king mob

Theres a mini comic event in a few weeks in London.

Click.

Benny J. Fish

Got the new My Faith in Frankie on Friday. Still good, and I can't wait for the final part. I don't want to do any spoilers, but I could see some of the turns coming a fair way off, unlike this months Hellblazer, which threw me right the fuck off!

I now know I HAVE to buy the new Swamp Thing, and so was going to ask- is it any good?

And finally- Since the start of this thread about 3 months ago, I have gotten into Preacher, Hellblazer, and a couple of short run things, and was wondering if you had any more reccomendations. I'm considering Lucifer, because Mike Carey seems very good, and Y: The Last Man, because the concept sounds good. What say you comic literate (or fanboy) people?

Mister Six

If you're even slightly enjoying Mike Carey's work on Hellblazer, Lucifer is a must. It doesn't kick off properly till the second book though, so buy the first two together. It's still being collected, and the issues are about a year and a half ahead of the books. The collections are as follows:

1: Devil in the Gateway
2: Children and Monsters
3: A Dalliance With the Damned
4: The Divine Comedy
5: Inferno

Plus a hardbound special called Nirvana. That one's not too great, though it does have lovely art. The graphic novels get progressively better as they go on.

The new Swamp Thing is okay, though it's really just restating all the continuity for those who missed out on the post-Moore run (Swampy had a daughter, gained control of all the elements and lost his "soul" in the latest Hellblazer). Diggle gives good Constantine though, and I expect it'll pick up once all the exposition is done and dusted. Amazing art, too.

And for everyone else, an interview with Alan Moore from The Independent: http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/interviews/story.jsp?story=501405

king mob

Fuck!

Robert Rodriguiz is doing a Sin City film with Tarantino!

Details here.

This could be cool.

El Unicornio, mang

BUMP:

Batman issues 1-623 are available on suprnova.org. The filesize is a massive 6GB but is worth it to get all these back issues which you'd otherwise need a personal loan off Richard Branson to buy. A few of the issues (such as ultra-rare #14) aren't on there, but most are, and they're very nicely scanned, and easy to read with CBR viewer.

sample page from issue one:

Apparently Robert Rodriguez has quit the Director's Guild in America or somesuch so Frank Miller, who isn't part of the guild, can be co-credited as director. Sounds interesting, especially with QT being rumoured to direct a segment of Sin City.

king mob

Quote from: "The Unicorn"BUMP:

Batman issues 1-623 are available on suprnova.org. The filesize is a massive 6GB but is worth it to get all these back issues which you'd otherwise need a personal loan off Richard Branson to buy. A few of the issues (such as ultra-rare #14) aren't on there, but most are, and they're very nicely scanned, and easy to read with CBR viewer.

sample page from issue one:

This is the huge "oh fuck its ripping people off " discussion again.

Theres some nice hardcover editions out there reprinting most of the earlier editions & the latter copies from about 450 onward can be picked up for not a lot of money.
Now Bob Kane was a cunt who ripped a lot of better talents off to create the myth that Batman was his & his alone but its depressing to see people download vast runs of issues and not realise that its affecting the industry  in that DC or Marvel will only reprint recent drek thats unreadable while perhaps negletging the Golden age titles.

Try the Sgt Rock hardcovers for sheer class & wonder what will happen if Tarantino ever makes the film version

king mob

Quote from: "Ghost of Troubled Joe"Apparently Robert Rodriguez has quit the Director's Guild in America or somesuch so Frank Miller, who isn't part of the guild, can be co-credited as director. Sounds interesting, especially with QT being rumoured to direct a segment of Sin City.

Yep, as it stands there'e 3 segments to the film, one by Tarantino, Miller & Rodriguez but there may be a 4th if they can squeeze Guilermo Del Toro into a 15 minute slice of violence.

The cast is supposed to include Sam Jackson, Micheal Douglas , George Clooney, Salma Hayek, Mickey Rooney, Uma Thurman & Ron Perlman as Marv.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "king mob"
This is the huge "oh fuck its ripping people off " discussion again.

Theres some nice hardcover editions out there reprinting most of the earlier editions & the latter copies from about 450 onward can be picked up for not a lot of money.
Now Bob Kane was a cunt who ripped a lot of better talents off to create the myth that Batman was his & his alone but its depressing to see people download vast runs of issues and not realise that its affecting the industry  in that DC or Marvel will only reprint recent drek thats unreadable while perhaps negletging the Golden age titles.

Well, I really can't afford to buy 600 comics, even if they are reprinted, and the early comics, although fun to read and quite fascinating to watch the gradual progression, aren't exactly up to more recent standards of artwork and storylines. They're more an enjoyable curiosity than a great read.
I really don't see anything wrong with downloading these old titles, it's great to have a big chunk of the series completed in one fell swoop, and it's only going to encourage me to seek out the other issues I'm missing to complete the collection, something I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.

Marvel and DC certainly won't be suffering, especially with the money they make from their movie tie-ins. I'm not keen on the comics out nowadays anyway, all that horrible minamilist computer artwork. I remember back in the late 80s, early 90s, all the companies, even Marvel and DC, were coming out with some really good, interesting comics. Since then it's just been stagnating.
You still can't beat leafing through some crusty old back issues in a little comic shop, though, downloading isn't going to change that one bit.

king mob

Just a shout out to say its the annual Comics Festival this weekend in Bristol.

rupert pupkin

I'm definitely going to be there – I missed it last year so am keen to make up for it this time. I've even got a table and will be selling copies of my new graphic novel there. If it arrives back from the printers in time...

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "rupert pupkin"I'm definitely going to be there – I missed it last year so am keen to make up for it this time. I've even got a table and will be selling copies of my new graphic novel there. If it arrives back from the printers in time...

What's your graphic novel?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"
Quote from: "rupert pupkin"I'm definitely going to be there – I missed it last year so am keen to make up for it this time. I've even got a table and will be selling copies of my new graphic novel there. If it arrives back from the printers in time...

What's your graphic novel?

I'm assuming this is it:
http://www.devil-child.co.uk/index2.htm

king mob

Have a read at what Harvey Pekar thinks of Billy Bragg here.

rupert pupkin

Quote from: "The Unicorn"

I'm assuming this is it:

Yep, that's the one – we're up to our second volume now. Come and say hello if you're going to be there!

king mob

Quote from: "rupert pupkin"
Quote from: "The Unicorn"

I'm assuming this is it:

Yep, that's the one – we're up to our second volume now. Come and say hello if you're going to be there!

How did it go for you?

Ronster

I just came across this and thought it looked interesting - havent the faintest what the quality will be like but could produce some interesting results

http://cbi.comicbookresources.com/

At least the idol phenomen has produced something a bit different to watching the tone deaf humiliate themselves

king mob

Its a nice idea but the simple truth is that theres not enough original writing talent out there thats coming through right now, i hope it works as long as we dont get fanboys turning in scripts about Superman fucking Wonder Woman;)

Benny J. Fish

Just though Hellblazer fans might want this little bit of beauty from the lips of Warren Ellis on the new film, Constantine

Quote from: "Warren Ellis, God of Comicdom""I've read the script. I apologise to the writers involved, who I'm sure worked very hard, but it's bloody awful. It's possible things got fixed on the set, I know there seemed to be an intent to do that -- but in the script John Constantine is now a man with the (super)power to go to Hell. So long as his feet are immersed in a bucket of water. Seriously.

I don't think it would have killed them to put "adapted from the works of Jamie Delano and Garth Ennis" on the script jacket, either, since it's a Frankensteinian stitch-together of their runs on the book."

Anyway, what's everyone reading these days?

Santa's Boyfriend

Read the new issue of Strangehaven - brilliant as ever, but artwork is getting better by the issue, and is now absolutely stunning.  Mind you, he is taking a year to produce each issue.

boki

Finally got around to buying my first  'Eightball' recently.  The guy in the shop said that the one I'd chosen (on the purely superficial basis that it was just slightly bigger than the others) was a "wonderful issue" and I thought he might've been a little OTT, but I could definitely see why he thought so once I read it.

Kendo Nagasaki

Here is a useful download resource for lots of (mainly american) comics.  You do need Emule though.

www.oops-a-daisy.com

[edited to remove URL!]

king mob

Quote from: "Kendo Nagasaki"Here is a useful download resource for lots of (mainly american) comics.  You do need Emule though.

http://www.dontdothiskids.com

[edited to include URL!]

You can also buy these from any decent store & make sure that creators get paid.