Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,194
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:03:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

General Comics Chat (plus My Faith In Frankie)

Started by Mister Six, February 04, 2004, 11:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Actually, I just found a reference here:

QuoteWhile "Ghost Rider" has Ennis for its six-issue run, it sounds as though the writer has plenty to keep him busy. According to Ennis, his upcoming project list includes: "Another 'Kev' series from Wildstorm, featuring Carlos Ezquerra's best art in years; a third Punisher special, 'The Tyger,' drawn by John Severin; 'Nick Fury in World War Two,' six issues by Darick Robertson; a four-issue 'JLA Classified' arc featuring Tommy Monaghan, effectively the lost Hitman story

Hooray! Tommy's back!

Oh - and I've got all of the Hitman issues and specials, plus the Ennis Demon issues (featuring Tommy) on CD. PM me your address and I'll make copies and post them off to you. You might have to wait a couple of weeks while I finish my exams, though.

(reprinted from previous page to get rid of that wretched "no posts" bug)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've just finished Niel Gaiman's 1602, and a very entertaining read it was. Does anyone know whether a sequel has ever been done? The ending leaves it open for one and I can't imagine that Marvel would pass up an opportunity to make more money.

Mr. Analytical

I thought 1602 was utter dross.

Apart from the first individual issue which dripped atmosphere it rapidly desceneds into "spot your favourite super hero!" and the plot is utterly ridiculous to the point of being insulting.

Neil Gaiman on autopilot - little bit of mythology remixing here and there, pull the story out of your arse and there you go.  But 1602 lacked the studied Powersian weirdness of  American gods, the ethereal beauty of Sandman or the tightness and simplicity of Neverwhere's plot.

Gaiman's never been as good at plot as he is at ideas for characters and settings but I thought that 1602 was particularly weak.  I felt dirty for having paid for it.

Xander

Ahh, JLA Classified! That makes sense! Yeah, I'll be picking that up, certainly. I just worried about Ennis ressurecting him for a JLA arc in a hokey way.

As for 1602, I don't think they have plans to do a sequel - sorry.

Harfyyn Teuport

Well Analytical, that does seem mighty cynical if you ask me. I found 1602 a delight from start to finish. As a mainstream marvel title, not a self-published indie or a pretentious Vertigo newbie, it was excellent at what it did while everything around it was merely passable, if not awful. There was a great deal of joy, love and detail in that series from Gaiman's part in my opinion, I didn't find it 'autopilot' in the slightest.

That it didn't bear any of the properties of Sandman is understandable and beneficial. It was an excellent mainstream, entry-level piece of fine comic lore. No more perhaps, but certainly no less.

mikeyg27

So, I guess the important question is: Who here chose the Jim Lee cover over the George Perez cover of Infinite Crisis? Not me.

Oh, and I suppose: who here has read Infinite Crisis now, and thought after the final page "whaaaaaaa?". This is either going to end up as a masterfully intertwined masterpiece or as a convoluted mess. Luckily, i think it'll be the former.

Ronster

I went for the Perez cover.  Well if we're going to be doing Crisis again it seems more appropriate.

I enjoyed the first issue and I really hope we have a masterpiece coming but I have a dreadful feeling it is going to be dreadful by the end.  I think the return of Donna Troy started this feeling and after reading The Return of Donna Troy I;m not feeling any better.

Oh well we shall see - the first issue was fun (but more of my favourite characters have been wiped out - will there be no one fun left?)

Four Eyes

Regarding the cover issue - I went for both. Ahem.

Baa.

Loved it, was a bit confused on the last page as I only knew who one of the people were, but I looked around the net and it'a all been explained to me.

I missed the Return of Donna Troy mini, so I don't know what went on there. I'll probably get the back issues.

Anyone check out Firestorm #18? I got it for the fantastic cover alone, it's my phone background now :D

I finally bought some long boxes, bags and boards on friday, so will have some fun when I get home on sunday. Forgot divders though :(

Quote from: "Xander"As for 1602, I don't think they have plans to do a sequel - sorry.

Nope ... there is.

Xander

Quote from: "tubbsthespidergigolo2"
Quote from: "Xander"As for 1602, I don't think they have plans to do a sequel - sorry.

Nope ... there is.

By Gaiman? Really? Linky!

Four Eyes

Quote from: "Xander"

Nope ... there is.

Not Gaiman :(

Wikipedia article

kidsick5000

Quote from: "Xander"

Nope ... there is.

Its by Greg Pak and anyone who enjoyed the first will be sorley disappointed. Gaimans tale was whimsical, yet managed to include intrigue as well as some interesting switches of designation for the Marvel guys.

This time, its as just like putting Ye Olde infront of everything. J Jonah Jameson is just that same, running a newsletter for the community. Why? Its such a lazy transition. Matt Murdoch wasnt an Elizabethan lawyer in the original.
The new Iron Man (Lord Iron) is awful.
The original had proper twists in plot as well as characterisation- the whole Angel and 'Master' Jean Grey. It was many threads that joined to become one.

The tale now is so singular in approach, almost solely on Peter Parquah.

And if all that wasnt enough, the art is a let down. The covers are great, but inside, not good.

Smackhead Kangaroo

Har I didn't like 1602 either. Green radioactive goo makes Murdoch the minstrel blind? Come on you can think up some better historical localisation than that!

Anyway all I wanted to say was. I went to a fancy dress party as Rorschach and everyone thought I was the invisible man :(

WASTED all that effort. WASTED.

Deadman97

Smackhead Kangaroo

Well yes I was trying to get some upskirt shots but I was too drunk to get them in focus.

Mister Six

Quote from: "Smackhead Kangaroo"Anyway all I wanted to say was. I went to a fancy dress party as Rorschach and everyone thought I was the invisible man :(

WASTED all that effort. WASTED.

You should have broken everyone's fingers. And eaten their beans.

Come on, you know we want photos.

Smackhead Kangaroo

Unfortunately I didn't have anything more than a phone camera and those came out crap. Moreover they won't do you the favour of showing the black fade and come back as I breathe through the mask AHAHAHA
That said i've put the costume back on and I'm waiting for trick-or-treaters.

Deadman97

I've got a fantastic image in my head of Rorschach in costume, sitting alone in an unfurnished flat waiting for children to ring his doorbell. Dark.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Smackhead Kangaroo

Mister Six

Fucking no post bug. Would anyone object to me starting a new General Comics Chat thread?

Santa's Boyfriend

Mister Six