Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:21:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is your library any good for CD’s

Started by Bilko, March 30, 2004, 01:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bilko

I go into my local Library most lunch times. I thought today I'd have a look at what range of CD's they had. I was surprised, no amazed to find some obscure CD's. Of course you get the usually ZZ Top, Bryan Adams stuff, but I also (in the brief time I looked) found 6 cd's by the fall, 3 by Frank Black and the Catholics, Boards of Canada, Lo-fi all-stars and Campag Velocet – Bon Chic Bon Genre, I've only ever seen one song by them on Soulseek, and I've searched on many occasions.

At only 75p an album for a week I got a Fall one and Campag Velocet, I'm gonna rip both of them tonight on my PC.

I intended to get more of these, but only the stuff I've can't get on soulseek, Frank Black is a big thin on ground as well on there.

Have you found any obsure albums at your library, depends on how big your library is really.

Jaffa The Cake

Carlisle library is good for obscure stuff too. Got a lot of stuff by little-known indie bands.

Middlesbrough library on the other hand, is a bit shit. They've got a few britcoms on DVD tho, which is always good.

mitzidog

Islington North Library had the Laurie Anderson live set from New York in 1999. If that's not enough they finally woken up to digital and started getting audiobooks on CD as well.

I'm glad I don't have kids though because I hear the schools are rubbish round our way.

smoker

this reminds me to head down to mine. i've got loads of stuff from there in the past, tricky, faithless etc. i can rent cheap dvds and vids from there as well, much cheaper than a video shop

MonkeyDrummer

when i was a member of a municipal library you could order any album you wanted for the cost of a stamp. I used to get shitloads of albums from there, making the library a culturally richer place to boot. I thought then, that it was a bit "free", has this practice stopped now?

weekender

Solihull library used to be remarkably good for both cds, music videos AND proper videos - seriously, they used to have loads of stuff there, well worth checking out.

Darrell

Wigan Library's useless because all the CDs are scratched to unplayability. Do people not actually give a shit about looking after things any more?

Silver SurferGhost

Not if it's not theirs, and sometimes not even when it is. It's the modern malaise it is.

I have the choice of three local libraries within walking distance, and they're all ace.
They have allsorts of strange selections, I can't imagine who they employ to go out and buy them.
There is the usual Busted-level shite, and some of them are indeed scatched to buggery,
but I've also been introduced to loads of artists I'd never otherwise have bothered with.
All for a quid a fortnight.
You can also order pretty much owt you like as well.

They're like a real-world Soulseek. Sort of.
Except they don't take a CD off you and give you 90% of one of  theirs and then remove the rest of it from the library.

Did I mention I work in a library? Well I don't but it certainly sounds like it.

lazyhour

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"I go into my local Library most lunch times. I thought today I'd have a look at what range of CD's they had. I was surprised, no amazed to find some obscure CD's. Of course you get the usually ZZ Top, Bryan Adams stuff, but I also (in the brief time I looked) found 6 cd's by the fall, 3 by Frank Black and the Catholics, Boards of Canada, Lo-fi all-stars and Campag Velocet – Bon Chic Bon Genre, I've only ever seen one song by them on Soulseek, and I've searched on many occasions.
quote]

Do you live in Basingstoke?

Pinball

terminallyrelaxed

I haven't been to the Library since I moved to Islington, and now I'm moving out again, so I'll not have the chance to beef up the iTunes from there. I do know that the Wandsworth Library (the one off Putney high street, not the other one, never been there) has an eclectic mix of music, I got my Ray Charles stuff from there, and some Stevie Wonder and Bob Dylan stuff, and they have loads of more recent stuff, I can't remember any of them and which ones now on my computer are from there but its a pretty good mix of the unusual, the sublime and the dire.

Pilf

I love the library. I go down every couple of weeks and get a ton of CDs out for a fiver or something, it allows me to experiment and hear things I'd never usually buy, like wierd old folk and country compilations.

On the last trip I got Squarepusher's do you know squarepusher, a Sun Ra live album, Hidden Cameras album, Merle Haggard compilation, Robert Johnson compilation, Guided By Voices last album, and some RL Burnside. Fantastic (apart from the GbV one which didn't grab me, and the Merle Haggard which is all re-recordings).

Bilko

Quote from: "lazyhour"Do you live in Basingstoke?

No, I'm with Jaffa The Cake. I went to Carlisle Library although I do not live in Carlisle