Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:06:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The New Doctor Who thread

Started by Ray Le Otter, May 24, 2007, 12:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadman97

Quote from: Brad on May 26, 2007, 02:49:27 PM
Martha's modified phone will not work as it did because even if it could transmit through time and space, the conversation when Martha's mum picks up would be one way only from Martha to her mum because the phone Martha's mum has has not got the capability to transmit back through time and space, it being a plain ordinary phone.
Bloody hell. I couldn't help but read this in a sort of John-Major's-Spitting-Image-puppet voice.

Catalogue Trousers

Deadman97 wrote:

QuoteI couldn't help but read this in a sort of John-Major's-Spitting-Image-puppet voice.

Blimey. No need to get rude about a perfectly valid criticism. Rose's Magic Mobile was one of the crappest cop-outs - nearly as much as the sonic screwdriver - throughout the first two seasons: I was glad to see the back of it, but surprise Martha's got one now as well. RTD's Who seems remarkably reluctant to try and ditch any sort of easy get-out clauses - far worse stuff than Venusian Aikido or K-9 ever were.

Deadman97

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on May 26, 2007, 05:48:00 PM
Deadman97 wrote:

Blimey. No need to get rude about a perfectly valid criticism.
Agreed, with apologies. The device is a bit of a clunker, of course, but I'd rather just take the "a wizard did it" approach than pick holes in the bullshit physics of plot devices like this one.

Jemble Fred

Sorry, but Deadman's instincts were right there – you don't have a foot to stand on if you think there's any 'scientific' reason why such a phone wouldn't work, in a show with as many easily accepted impossibilities as Doctor Who. It's not that it's a petty complaint, it's completely meaningless – a gripe that could be batted away in some Sci-Fi Convention Q&A in ten seconds flat.

Backstage With Slowdive

The joke about people in the future referring to our pop music as "classical music" was done originally in the Hartnell Dalek story The Chase way back in 1965. Which was originally planned to include a cameo by the Beatles themselves, until Brian Epstein vetoed it.

Backstage With Slowdive

They just missed a trick - could have had Old Who images during that little flashback.

Backstage With Slowdive

Would a school corps have a machine gun in 1913, since the British Army was barely equipped for the war that started a year later? They didn't have proper mortars at the start of fighting.

Backstage With Slowdive

Hmm.

"Doing things with cricket balls" could be a reference to Four To Doomsday. Nice to get the old Gallifrey/Ireland gag back in again, as used in The Invisible Enemy.

Backstage With Slowdive

Historical quibbles aside, that's the firts truly great episode we'd had all season.

Marv Orange

annnnnnd CUT!

I WANT MORE STAREY EYES

SOTS

Well, I enjoyed that. I was very hooked in by it because it was bloody good indeed.

weekender

That was awesome.  A decent plot really well told, hardly any deus ex, and that bloke who played Baines had just the right balance of psychosis.

I hope the second episode is as good as this one, it's reminded why I love Who.

Deadman97

Morgan

I don't care if I'm roasted by one and all here, but...

That was the first episode that wouldn't have looked out of place in the Who of old.  I've had a billion and a four complaints about certain aspects of the revived series, but this was just exceptional from start to finish.

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: Morgan on May 26, 2007, 07:59:42 PM
That was the first episode that wouldn't have looked out of place in the Who of old.  I've had a billion and a four complaints about certain aspects of the revived series, but this was just exceptional from start to finish.

Hmm, it's a bit unusual that it started straight off with a chase and we haven't been introduced to the baddies before. Apart from the appalling Time And The Rani (worst DW story ever, fact fans) no other Old Who story started like that (though we'd met The Rani before). Apart from that, all excellent.

surreal

that was great - properly creepy in places. I just kept expecting them to fuck it up at the last minute, but no, great from start to finish.

Oh, and when did Jessica Stevenson get married??  Surprised she's changed her stage name....

Jack Shaftoe

I thought that was bloody great.

Small Man Big Horse

T'was fantastic wasn't it. And like Weekender says above, the guy who played Baines was incredibly good, especially for such a young actor, and I found him to be far more menacing than the Daleks were this year!

I loved the way we were thrust in to events half way through, and it was yet another great performance from Tennant. I struggled a little with him during his first year, but now he's truly won me over. Infact if there's a weak link it's Martha, but I'm sure she'll grow on me too, given time.

weekender

Written by Paul Cornell, that explains a lot.  Him and Moffat have written my favourite episodes of New Who.

Ooh, Moffat's got an episode coming on June 9th:

Spoiler alert

Deadman97

I didn't get a good look, but that was a picture of a bunch of other doctors in his journal, wasn't it? With McGann in the middle! McGann is now officially canon. He's McGannon!

Sheldon Finklestein

I almost cried at how good that was. Just breathtaking. That is, I think, the first episode of New Who I've loved absolutely unconditionally. Sure, Cornell ladled on the WW1 foreshadowing a bit, but that barely registered. Intelligent, mature in a way Torchwood could never dream of being, and so, so sweet. Really felt for Martha, and wasn't Daisy from Spaced lovely? That episode was almost too good to the Who nerds. The pictures in the journal, the Sydney and Verity moment (punch the air). I was thinking before it started, this has been a great season so far, but what we need now is a stand-out. I'd say this was not only a stand-out of the new series, but of any series of Doctor Who.

Gosh, that was quite emotional... Don't worry, I'll be able to be cynical about it in due course.

Marv Orange

What novel is RTD banging on about?

Deadman97

weekender

Marv - Human Nature by Paul Cornell.  Apparently there's some sort of link between that and tonight's episode, but I'm not sure how much because I don't think I've read it.

Spoiler alert
Apparently the 'Family of Blood' may tie in to the overall Mister Saxon story arc though.
[close]

lipsink

Yep! Plus McCoy was on that page too wasn't he? I loved the way when they captured the maid in the spaceship she was crying, still saying "What have I done wrong?" and "This isn't very funny, you know!". It was all just too much for the character to comprehend. Quite creepy. Am I right in thinking that's the first episode ever of new Who where the story actually takes place in a fairly long timespan like a week?

Lt Plonker

That really was cracking stuff. Reminded me of watching Doctor Who with my dad when I was a kid - genuinely sinister, the Baines character in particular.

Heh. The bottom left drawing looks a bit like Stephen Fry!

Phil_A

Quote from: weekender on May 26, 2007, 08:14:17 PM
Marv - Human Nature by Paul Cornell.  Apparently there's some sort of link between that and tonight's episode, but I'm not sure how much because I don't think I've read it.

Assuming you aren't being ironical, the episode was largely based on the book, although with some stuff changed around. In the original story, the Doctor apparently decides to become human on a whim, and the villains are a bunch of mercenaries called the Aubertides who are out to nick his Time-Lordliness.

The Gush

Well that has to be my favourite New Who story, evvvur.  Granted I've not seen the conclusion yet but I loved it.  Felt like Old Who.  Loved the story and the way it was paced and styled.  The eight-year-old in me would've liked to have seen more Killer Scarecrows but other than that, I can't fault it. Wonderful performances by the cast and beautifully directed.  Of course, this just means the second part is bound to be shite.

Anyone notice the choir at the start mentioned "the Master"?  Loved the cricket ball stuff (Four To Doomsday as Mr Shoe-Gazer mentioned).

weekender

Quote from: The Gush on May 26, 2007, 09:14:20 PM
Granted I've not seen the conclusion yet but I loved it.

I felt that way about the first Cyberman episode, that one with Trigger and the woman off Coronation Street.  The first episode struck me as being really well-done and exciting, but the second was a total let-down by comparison.

I'm praying that doesn't happen with next week's episode.

Bingo Fury

Bloody hell. Best episode since "The Girl In The Fireplace", and possibly even better.

The second halves of two-parters never live up to the first, but I'm fervently hoping that next week's will be the exception that proves the rule.