Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:21:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Challenge thread- A trip down nostalgia valley (just left of gluttony gorge)

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, May 24, 2007, 12:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Last night I ended up buying a Nestle Lion bar for what must've been the first time in at least ten years. Having been an old favourite of mine as a kid I had a strong urge to relive the taste experience, spotted one in a confectioners yesterday.

They're smaller and weedier these days, but the taste seemed to be richer and more satisfying. I polished it off like nobody's business, almost as if I had the jaws and ravenous appetite of a Lion!

Your challenge, if you choose to accept it is to go out and re-visit a food stuff that you've neglected to shovel through your face for far too long. Report back.

ccab

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah, that's the sort of thing. If they're still tasty I might go and get some.

Funcrusher

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 24, 2007, 01:09:29 PM
Can you still get Golden Nuggets cereal?

Yes. Nestle make them. Now hurry!
http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/britishfood.asp?id=BC0038

It says they taste 'Yeee Haaaa'...maybe that's how you'll say "rather delicious" once the sugary pellets have dissolved nearly all your teeth instantly...

Hobes

Quote from: ccab on May 24, 2007, 01:08:02 PM
Will Farley's rusks do? - I haven't tried them since I was 3.

The banana ones are still as yummy as I assumed they would be (I can't honestly remember them from the first time round).

I also bought (and consumed) a packet of refreshers, but they made me feel sick after 1/2 a packet. 

Cack Hen

Can you still get Vimto bars? If you can still get Vimto bars the world isn't such a bad place, after all.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes you can, and Irn-Bru bars too. If you haven't almost pulled your teeth out on their iridescent goo recently, you should do.

fauxgems

I bloody well miss irn-bru bars. I also miss not distorting the bathroom radio signal when I lean forward to wipe my arse.

I need to change my avatar. It's supposed to be a screenshot from some European animation the arcanity of which I show off with highbrow pride. But its size reduction makes it look like someone fellating a twig, or, indeed, to last-gaspily give this comment relevance to the thread's topic, a man eating a cheap viscid sweety bar. Like those ones that had little meteors of dusty sugar dotted about the surface. What were they called? Wham bars? Ahhhh. Super Ted eh. What was he about?   

buttgammon

Do they still make Wham bars and Highland toffee? They were my two favourites from the tuck box in junior school!

can you still get gold bars? mmm gold bars. That unique coating with that unique biscuit. I prefer them to gold if anything.

buttgammon

I had one quite recently (I think it was while watching Roma v Manchester United, Champions' League Quarter Final 1st leg), but it came in a multi-pack with Taxi bars and a few other things like that in it. They're very nice.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: the back of a packet of ready salted Hula Hoops I just ate"Hula Hoops are now at their lowest ever saturated fat levels. In 2006 they contained 50% less saturated fat than in 2005. Now Hula Hoops are made with 100% sunflower oil so that they contain a further 55% less saturated fat than in 2006."

Sounds like the opener to a maths question. Which year's Hula Hoops reach their destination first?

With all these amazing advances in fat reduction technology, it's a shame that they tasted like someone had poured a litre of salt over them.

Deadman97

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 24, 2007, 02:55:13 PM
Yes you can, and Irn-Bru bars too. If you haven't almost pulled your teeth out on their iridescent goo recently, you should do.
Lost a filling to a Wham bar as a kid, haven't been near the fuckers since.
Is it "Wham" bar or "Wham!" bar?

WHAM.

Emma Raducanu

Chicken supreme in a box is something I haven't had for about 10 years. I used to have one when Gladiators was on. I'll try find it tomorrow and post up some photos of  me eating it with tears in my eyes.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Melody Lee

The only thing that remains completely gorgeous for me nowadays is a Double Decker. I'm always eating them. Tried a Toffee Crisp and a Lion recently and didn't think either was really anything like the lovelyness I remember, especially the Toffee Crisp.

I mentioned on the other board how I went searching and found nothing truly tempting. I guess the thing to do is order sweet things online. :)

Double Deckers though... wow. They blow my head off every time, especially when combined with a pint of cider on a laid-back thursday evening.

Ooooh, nice idea for a thread.  Is it limited just to confectionary?  Because in that case I would probably go for a Boost, but only because those single twix-like fingers made with apple flavoured toffee and raisins in it aren't available any more.  At least, I don't think they are.

LeboviciAB84

ccab

I bought some Farley's rusks at the Chemist's earlier today - and I've just had a couple in a bowl of milk. They're the Johnson's baby shampoo scent of foodstuffs - very mild taste & texture - & very familiar. It must be 3 decades since I had one - but I could remember that taste immediately. Very nice - but I don't think I'll have another. A lot has changed since my last Farley's rusk. I'm a man now (and what a man!) so I need proper manfood - things that have bled on their way to my plate - and lots of zinc.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Is it just limitied to confectionary? Mmm, not really, no.

It has to be a childhood/adolescent foodstuff that was never out of your mouth at the time, you haven't had for too, too long.

Catalogue Trousers

Parma Violets. Hadn't eaten any for yonks, until about a year or so ago, when we discovered assortment bags that contained the things (which, as a result, tend to turn up at some of our parties - the most recent of which was a fortnight or so ago, so this counts). I used to love 'em as a kid, and they still taste damn fine now. I care not that they are the gayest confectionery known to man short of gobbling a chocolate cock, their flowery aroma and delicious chalky crunch are good stuff indeed.

squinky

Parma Violets were fucking disgusting. Why would you want to eat something that smelt of perfume?

Of course, as a child I was burned pretty badly by a bath pearl that didn't live up to its tasty-looking promises. Never let it be said that I don't learn my lessons!

As for my childhood sweet of choice... I've got a real hankerin' to waste some poor newsagent's time picking out 100 individual penny sweets all of a sudden. Fizzy cola bottles, here I come! In ten hours time.

Evil Knevil

Can you still get Pop Tarts? I'm having a post-exam craving for them, despite only having them a couple of times 10 years ago. I've looked in Sainsburys in Islington and T Court Road and in Tescos at Kings Cross. If I can find them, I'll submit to your challenge!

rudi

A friend of mine used to edit the weekly confectioner's trade mag so would have the early inside gen on all the new crisps n snacks.

Every Friday she'd mail us with the new shee-it coming out and we'd race to be the first to try (and invariably rubbish [ring any bells here?]) what we'd sampled (nearly always delivered by you pampered London bleeding edge type bastards).

Happy days...

Now she's a CSI bint and apparently isn't able to deliver heads-up news on murder scenes, more's the pity.

She had massive hooters too, apropos of nothing at all bar being home alone at 5 in the morning...............

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 24, 2007, 12:37:03 PM
They're smaller and weedier these days

Or perhaps you're bigger and stronger these days?  Then again maybe over the years, Wagon Wheels will become Toffee Pennies and our descendants will have to reinvent newer large confections which will shrink over time.

For example, rusks were huge way back when I had a habit.

fanny splendid

Quote from: squinky on May 26, 2007, 01:06:14 AM
Why would you want to eat something that smelt of perfume?

She likes it.

There's a liqueur that tastes of Parma Violets, and it makes a great Martini.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Lion bars disected and scattered in pieces over chocolate ice cream. That worked really well. It felt like my capillaries were giving each other high-fives after that. Brilliant stuff.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteYour challenge, if you choose to accept it is to go out and re-visit a food stuff that you've neglected to shovel through your face for far too long. Report back.

Today's whim drew me to scotch eggs. Haven't chomped through a scotch egg in years, and vaguely remembered going off them for some unknown reason. I think it was to do with not knowing what the bit was between the egg and the breadcrumbs. Spying one on the shop shelf, I had an irresistable urge for one. The age of the scotch egg had returned.

Just finished my lunch and I must say it was lovely. A foodstuff definitely worth a re-visit. Very filling, I only just made it through the sausage roll after that.