Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:14:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Games News: Releases

Started by bill hicks, March 30, 2004, 02:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoverdonkey

I've picked up Civ III in the shop so many times and thought about buying it but decided not to. Let me know if it's any good - when you finally get it. It's in Virgin's 2 for 30 quid range with the original game AND expansion pack (plus another game)

Quote from: "hoverdonkey"I've picked up Civ III in the shop so many times and thought about buying it but decided not to. Let me know if it's any good - when you finally get it. It's in Virgin's 2 for 30 quid range with the original game AND expansion pack (plus another game)

I got it last weekend. It's ace. If you liked civ2 then you'll like this, it's miles better. Better graphics (all the pieces are animated and bigger) easier to use (you can set workers to 'automate' which lets you concentrate on other things) and the negotiation screens are much more advanced, finally you can make the kind of threats to other nations that they always made to you in civ 2... Best of all though it's a lot fucking harder, even on easy!

hoverdonkey

Oooh thanks Munday's. I shall give it a look I think.

I'm tempted to go and get Silent Hill 3 tomorrow. Hopefully my local Woolworth's will have it in stock:

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/common/product.jhtml?pid=30021213

Try and get through it in time for the 4th instalment...

Incredible Monkey Doctor

I'm struggling to get a good bundle PS2 deal right now - can anyone recommend a good hardware bundle (fuck games, they always give away shit ones) - mainly console, memory & extra controller - from a retailer that can be trusted?

Of course, any VW's in London looking to flog their PS2 hardware could do well to PM me, I need one before Friday...

hoverdonkey

Quote from: "Incredible Monkey Doctor"I'm struggling to get a good bundle PS2 deal right now - can anyone recommend a good hardware bundle (fuck games, they always give away shit ones) - mainly console, memory & extra controller - from a retailer that can be trusted?

Of course, any VW's in London looking to flog their PS2 hardware could do well to PM me, I need one before Friday...

Bollocks. I just got rid of mine for an XBox.

Capuchin

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Not a new release by any stretch, but Metroid Prime is pretty cool, I'm enjoying it immensely.

I rate Metroid Prime VERY highly indeed. It is a great example of the FPS genre and i have found it constantly entertaining and rewarding...

Seen the pics for number 2? I hope it's not too long before it's released, Beyond good and evil reminds me how much I miss scanning things.
I think Metroid Prime had some of the most atmospheric music I've heard in a game, and the starting sequence is fucking superb.

A bumpity bump to ask a question...

Has anyone got/played hitman: contracts?

I've got it and am enjoying it but I'm getting bad vibes - I'm on the sixth mission at the moment and just looked at a walkthrough on the net, not to cheat but to see how many missions there are, the walkthrough only goes to seven. I'm hoping it's because it's not been updated past that. Can someone confirm how many missions there are please? Because I've only had it two days and I was expecting weeks of play.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"A bumpity bump to ask a question...

I've got it and am enjoying it but I'm getting bad vibes - I'm on the sixth mission at the moment and just looked at a walkthrough on the net, not to cheat but to see how many missions there are, the walkthrough only goes to seven. I'm hoping it's because it's not been updated past that. Can someone confirm how many missions there are please? Because I've only had it two days and I was expecting weeks of play.

It's got 12 missions, that walkthrough must be unfinished.
Is it any good? I played the last Hitman game and really enjoyed it, albeit a bit frustrating at times.

Quote from: "The Unicorn"
Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"A bumpity bump to ask a question...

It's got 12 missions, that walkthrough must be unfinished.
Is it any good? I played the last Hitman game and really enjoyed it, albeit a bit frustrating at times.

Thanks that's a bit better then.

Yes it is good, nothings changed at all since hitman 2, it's just more of the same. But thats okay with me. I seem to be a bit better at this one too, I'm acting a bit more like Leon and a bit less like Rambo and enjoying the game a lot more as a result. I point blank refuse to go through a level all guns blazing.

chand

I just finished Hitman: Contracts and loved every bit of it. There are 12 levels, yeah. It is quite short, though, but I think I'll have another go at it because there are loads of ways through each level. I particularly enjoyed the hotel mission.

Yup, was enjoyable, but the ending pissed me off.. how the whole game is basically just a long advert for Hitman 4.

The final mission was a bit of a bastard wasn't it.

And those 3 levels in china were ridiculously easy.

chand

*relatively innocuous but possible SPOILERS*

One of the problems with Hitman is the way you can sometimes do really dumb shit and get through the level. On the end of the first level I just ran to the car dressed as a loony through a hail of bullets, but as soon as I reached the car I was invincible. Likewise on the end of the final mission, thousands of guys were shooting at me but I got in the car and it finished like I'd been a stealthy bugger.

I agree about the China missions, the one where you have to assassinate that guy and take his figurine in particular is really easy once you' ve got the right disguise.

Quote from: "chand"I agree about the China missions, the one where you have to assassinate that guy and take his figurine in particular is really easy once you' ve got the right disguise.

You don't even really need a disguise! There's only about 3 guards between you and him anyway, just take them all out with the silenced pistol and you're done.

I suppose the challenge is doing it and getting silent assassin rating.

Yes that's where I went wrong with hitman 2. I'm so used to the object of a game being to get through a game - I figured why go to the effort of dressing up like a waiter and poisoning the wine etc when I've got big guns and I can shoot fuck out of everyone. I'm playing this one the way GOD intended and if I make it to the end of a level with a high body count and 100% aggression rating then I replay it till I do it a bit stealthier. There seem to be about three or four different ways to complete each mission. For example I thought I was dead sneaky and stealthy in the meat factory level, I killed no innocents and bumped off the targets without the use of a gun... But I also noticed part of the level involved a load of meat going along hooks on a conveyor belt and the option to stop them... now that must have been for something, maybe something to do with the sniper rifle in the same room... Good stuff though.

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Capuchin"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Not a new release by any stretch, but Metroid Prime is pretty cool, I'm enjoying it immensely.

I rate Metroid Prime VERY highly indeed. It is a great example of the FPS genre and i have found it constantly entertaining and rewarding...

Seen the pics for number 2? I hope it's not too long before it's released, Beyond good and evil reminds me how much I miss scanning things.
I think Metroid Prime had some of the most atmospheric music I've heard in a game, and the starting sequence is fucking superb.

Early reports on the seqel to Metroid says it takes place on a planet that is half light and half darkness, so that will utilise the different visor modes more... and also, there is a hunter after you throughout the game and if you waste time in an area, the hunter may track you down and give you hell...

but thats the only scraps i've heard so far...

E3 is this month, so expect to hear more then.

Evil Knevil

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"
Quote from: "hoverdonkey"I've picked up Civ III in the shop so many times and thought about buying it but decided not to. Let me know if it's any good - when you finally get it. It's in Virgin's 2 for 30 quid range with the original game AND expansion pack (plus another game)

I got it last weekend. It's ace. If you liked civ2 then you'll like this, it's miles better. Better graphics (all the pieces are animated and bigger) easier to use (you can set workers to 'automate' which lets you concentrate on other things) and the negotiation screens are much more advanced, finally you can make the kind of threats to other nations that they always made to you in civ 2... Best of all though it's a lot fucking harder, even on easy!

I disagree, which according to the Laws of the Chuckle Reich makes you a cunt.

Seriously tho, there are very few new units, less tech advances and limited diplomacy. They haven't improved public works and unit combat, so you still have far too much micromanagement. The game also advances far more slowly, meaning it's easier to get bored. There is also less customisation.

All things considered, the only *real* improvement is the AI, which is still fucking dumb. The resource system is interesting, but rather limited in scope.

Basically it's Civ2 with better graphics and better AI, but without any brilliant innovations. It's also got some game balance issues *still*. i.e don't bother with a game if you start in a desert/jungle/swamp region, because you'll be crap forever and ever. Also corruption is far too high, which damages you and the AI.

Don't bother, buy Europa Universalis 2 or Victoria instead.

mrpants

I agree with Evil - I mch preffered Civ 2, for much the same reasons.

erm... so yeah - I concur

Purple Tentacle

I finally got Civ3 last night, and foolishly started on a "huge" world with only 4 other races.

It's a darn lonely planet.

Not really played it enough yet, but I'm actually quite dissapointed with the democracy compared to the peerless Alpha Centauri - probably my favourite tactical game of all time.

Anybody who likes turn based strategy simply MUST play Alpha Centauri... some of the most involving AI with true personality, you really really feel like you're competing against six other psychopathic wankers.

It's essentially the same as Civ 2, but better, and in space.

Capuchin

Early reports on the seqel to Metroid says it takes place on a planet that is half light and half darkness, so that will utilise the different visor modes more... and also, there is a hunter after you throughout the game and if you waste time in an area, the hunter may track you down and give you hell...

but thats the only scraps i've heard so far...

E3 is this month, so expect to hear more then.

I hate it when games enforce a time limit, shooing you on. ne of the things I liked about Metroid Prime was taking it all in, standing there and having a good scan. The snow, the steam affect on the visor, the lush flora...
I don't want to be harried about by 'Evil Samus'.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "Evil Knevil"
Don't bother, buy Europa Universalis 2 or Victoria instead.

I don't know about Victoria, but Europa Universalis 2 is fantastic for all those who want to live out their megalomaniac fantasies.  Conquer the entire planet -make sure France never forms, take the Americas of the Spaniards!

For God! Harry and St George!

And it's only £8.99 on Amazon.

And £7.99 on Play.com

Evil Knevil

If you ever want to play multiplayer? :) I can't get anybody to play with on their network server and my flatmates still think of it as "that game with shit graphics".

Victoria is also good. Not as good, but still fun. Bollock hard to understand tho.

The Plaque Goblin

I got Vice City several months ago, loved it to bits but I've had my fill now.

I didn't get Call Of Duty because I found the idea of realistic simulations of real life situations to be a bit dodgy.

I recently got a secondhand copy of Knights of the Old Republic which bored me to tears and managed to resell it.

This FarCry, however, looks to be just the ticket but there is also this game called Manhunt which is by Rockstar. Anyone familiar with this? Apparently it's like GTA: Vice City but more violent.

Cheese Arse H Christ

Manhunt is shite, FarCry is the cat's cojones

Manhunt was fab I thought. It's an oddly designed game in that it takes about four or five levels before you 'get it' and the whole thing changes completely. Very atmospheric.

Some Hitman 3 advice please for those who have completed it... I'm on the hotel level, please don't spoil anything for me but answer me one question... When I first played it I walked right into the hotel with the sniper rifle without setting off the alarm. Every time I've done it afterwards the alarms gone off. I really just want to know whether it was a bug that got me in the first time or whether theres a knack to walking through the metal detector.

chand

That's weird, I never managed to get through the metal detectors with the sniper rifle, initially at least. May have been a bug. I got it in a different way.

That does seem strange, but to be honest you don't need the sniper rifle at all so you may as well just drop it when the level starts.

Figured it. It's obviously a bug. You can drop the sniper rifle one side of the metal detector (just at the edge of it) - step through and pick it up again. chuh. Course it only works with the sniper rifle (with it being in a suitcase) because the guards will see any other weapon you drop.

Bill Oddie

Far Cry is bastard awesome, grab a copy asap people, even if HL2 is shite (and it wont be) it's worth upgrading now to play this.

Latest news on HL2:

Gabe Newell says that the delay had nowt to do with the code theft, they just hadn't finished it. They've put in a ton more physics stuff to mess with and it should be here on 30 Sep 2004. I'm not going to believe anything until I'm actually playing it though.

Regular John

Quote from: "Bill Oddie"Far Cry is bastard awesome, grab a copy asap people, even if HL2 is shite (and it wont be) it's worth upgrading now to play this.

Latest news on HL2:

Gabe Newell says that the delay had nowt to do with the code theft, they just hadn't finished it. They've put in a ton more physics stuff to mess with and it should be here on 30 Sep 2004. I'm not going to believe anything until I'm actually playing it though.

That was between mouthfuls of triple glazed donuts of course!