Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:46:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Games News: Releases

Started by bill hicks, March 30, 2004, 02:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skibz

Quote from: "The Plaque Goblin"Manhunt

I thought this was ace, its got a 'raw' feel to it that really works. Takes quite a white to fully complete too... at least for me :S

chand

I loved Manhunt as well, after a few levels I was completely hooked on the whole atmosphere of the thing. Probably my favourite game of last year (except PES3 of course).

Cheese Arse H Christ

OK, OK, Enough already! I'll give Manhunt a second go you barstewards. Even though it does sound more like an 0898 Gaychat line, man-2-man etc

Rev

Do so, it's ace!  For the most part, the people who don't like it tend to be those who rented it and returned it before getting a third of the way into the thing, at which point it does begin to flower and transform.  I think everyone kind of thinks 'er...  is this it for the rest of the game, then?' around the third or fourth level, which kind of adds extra impact to the fantastic stuff that follows.

Quote from: "Rev"Do so, it's ace!  For the most part, the people who don't like it tend to be those who rented it and returned it before getting a third of the way into the thing, at which point it does begin to flower and transform.  I think everyone kind of thinks 'er...  is this it for the rest of the game, then?' around the third or fourth level, which kind of adds extra impact to the fantastic stuff that follows.

Absolutely. It has movie-esque twists to it encorporated into the gameplay. The game your playing for the last half of it is not the game you were playing at the start, though I can understand why many people may give up before they get there. I loved the ironic end too, I dont want to give it away for anyone who hasn't completed it but they play with the conventions of the 'final boss' brilliantly and surprisingly and it keeps with the general mood.

I wish it had sold better, I'd love a sequel.

Rev

Yes, the last boss is a fantastic touch.  I'm sure they'll rake in enough cash from the new GTA to ensure that none of their products ever has to turn a profit ever again, so maybe we'll see a sequel anyway.

Huzzie

Quote from: "bill hicks"you get taken by helicopter into the Jungle to the strains of 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' by Iggy Pop

Sorry mate, this is really really pedantic and pathetic of me but I am a huge fan of both bands.

I wanna be your dog is a stooges song, from the first epononymous Stooges album. The stooges were obviously Iggy's first real band (after the Iguanas). Unless of course, it was a live version, which Iggy does do and also, he has recorded a studio version fairly recently but it is quite rare.

I'm really sorry for doing that but you know how it is when you love a band.

<cringing with embarrasment>

Purple Tentacle

Played Civilization III for about 48 hours straight this weekend.

I suppose I finally "got" it.

Now I'm sitting at work, and I can't get that fucking cunt Caesar out of my head, how the fuck am I going to wipe him out, his fucking knights keep on harrassing my borders, maybe I can do a trade with Abraham Lincoln since I helped him invent the wheel, but Ghandi keeps on attacking him with his chariots and he keeps on asking me to help him attack Ghandi, and that bitch Joan of Arc keeps on extorting furs from me, maybe I can steal Bach's Cathedral off Cleopatra.....

mrpants

You see, that's exactly how I was/ am when I had/ having an epic game of Civ II, but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into Civ III.  I couldn't get my head round the workers and settlers as two seperate units for example.  Unnecessary in my opinion.

I think maybe it's because I fear change...

weirdbeard

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"Early reports on the seqel to Metroid says it takes place on a planet that is half light and half darkness, so that will utilise the different visor modes more... and also, there is a hunter after you throughout the game and if you waste time in an area, the hunter may track you down and give you hell...

but thats the only scraps i've heard so far...

E3 is this month, so expect to hear more then.

Metroid Prime on Nintendo's new handheld system

Quote from: "mrpants"You see, that's exactly how I was/ am when I had/ having an epic game of Civ II, but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into Civ III.  I couldn't get my head round the workers and settlers as two seperate units for example.  Unnecessary in my opinion.

Workers and settlers were two seperate units in Civ 2 as well though, im sure?

no_offenc

Quote from: "weirdbeard"
Quote from: "TotalNightmare"Early reports on the seqel to Metroid says it takes place on a planet that is half light and half darkness, so that will utilise the different visor modes more... and also, there is a hunter after you throughout the game and if you waste time in an area, the hunter may track you down and give you hell...

but thats the only scraps i've heard so far...

E3 is this month, so expect to hear more then.

Metroid Prime on Nintendo's new handheld system

Not bad for a handheld, quite interesting to see how they're using the touchscreen to provide extra buttons etc....nice.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"Workers and settlers were two seperate units in Civ 2 as well though, im sure?

They were in Alpha Centauri.

My empire has just come crumbling down, there really is no other game that fills you with so much pointless despair.

All that time wasted.....

New Zelda game on the GC

17MB video here.

Rev

I got my claws on a copy of Hitman 3 a couple of days ago, having skipped the second one.  What the fuck is going on with this one?  Direct remakes of levels from the first game, only smaller, and with fewer possibilities.  It's fun, admittedly, but have they run out of ideas so soon?

mrpants

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"
Quote from: "mrpants"You see, that's exactly how I was/ am when I had/ having an epic game of Civ II, but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into Civ III.  I couldn't get my head round the workers and settlers as two seperate units for example.  Unnecessary in my opinion.

Workers and settlers were two seperate units in Civ 2 as well though, im sure?

Nope you just had the one - settlers.  They could also work the land make roads.  They turn into Engineers after you've discovered industrialisation and then they can make farms and railways.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Ninja Gaiden is out next week (Xbox), so prepare yourself for the hardest game since the original Broken Sword titles.

Half the reviews I've read knock a point or so off because of the insane difficulty level, but one has rated it higher than Halo, saying the structure of the levels and the menu interface is VERY similar.

The original (brilliant, brilliant) 2D Arcade Ninja Gaiden titles are unlockable too, though you have to work very, very hard for them

Johnny

Screenshots of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas have been released here:

http://www.gtasanandreas.com

Mmmmmm

Vermschneid Mehearties

Sssh, and boycott that disgrace of a game.

Quote from: "Johnny"Screenshots of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas have been released here:

http://www.gtasanandreas.com

Mmmmmm

So early 90's South Central LA?

I would imagine that 2nd screenshot is the main character - which strikes me as odd since their demographic is white males between 18-30 and now the main character is black. Looks like pandering really, especially as a white guy trying to make it in the gangs of Compton would have had the potential for more humour/violence.

Captain Mildred

Quote from: "m...wW(wwMww)Ww...m"New Zelda game on the GC

17MB video here.

Bloody hell!! This looks awesome,

Johnny

QuoteSssh, and boycott that disgrace of a game.

Errr, why? There's been three screenshots and a name released....
Were you not that keen on Vice City?

Vermschneid Mehearties

It's being released for the Ps2. Not a reason in itself (just).

Being released FIRSTLY on PS2 architecture, which means it is going to play ridiculously badly, just like GTAIII and GTA:VC did, and is still going to be limited to the same graphics and size. It's a complete cop-out basically.

Why not start developing it now for the next Playstation, and then we can play something WORTH playing, not just like the last GTA with different colours.

It's a cash-in, a cynical one too.

P.S- GTAIII and GTA:VC are not bad games but are let down seriously by terrible cameras, and awful first-person shooting (in VC), rubbish driving sections, stunted storylines (less so in VC) and absymal, REALLY abysmal controls. It's nothing like as annoying as people who saying Rising Sun and Need For Speed Underground are 'great', but they're still overrated, on PS2, PC and Xbox.

You are so very very wrong, but then I think we're all used to that now.

Look at the screenshots - the graphics have GREATLY improved. If they've changed that, they'll be changing other things.

Purple Tentacle

GTA III is probably one of the most fun, original and replayable games ever made.

Re: Zelda... so are they abandoning the cell-shading then? A pity, I rather liked it.

El Unicornio, mang

Yup, Vice City is hands down the best game I've ever played, and this new one looks utterly fantastic, and will sell squillions, especially to all the gangsta rap kids in America (which is, frankly, most of the kids in America full stop)

there's a few more 'screenshots' (of some of the characters) here:
http://gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/gta4/screenindex.html

Like the look of the blondie bint :-)

mrpants

Damn, I was hoping that the new GTA would have been set in 60s San Francisco.  Never mind.

hencole

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"It's being released for the Ps2. Not a reason in itself (just).

Being released FIRSTLY on PS2 architecture, which means it is going to play ridiculously badly, just like GTAIII and GTA:VC did, and is still going to be limited to the same graphics and size. It's a complete cop-out basically.

Why not start developing it now for the next Playstation, and then we can play something WORTH playing, not just like the last GTA with different colours.

It's a cash-in, a cynical one too.

P.S- GTAIII and GTA:VC are not bad games but are let down seriously by terrible cameras, and awful first-person shooting (in VC), rubbish driving sections, stunted storylines (less so in VC) and absymal, REALLY abysmal controls. It's nothing like as annoying as people who saying Rising Sun and Need For Speed Underground are 'great', but they're still overrated, on PS2, PC and Xbox.

Agree with all that. The controls are terrible, and the 1st person shooting is the worst I have ever seen in a game. GTA is soo much more fun. Graphics are ropey as well and higlight the power of the playstation. Still they are good games, but terribly flawed ones only saved by the freedom they offer. This new one looks to offer nothing new except dollars for the makers. As VM suggests make it for PS3 or Xbox2 and get some decent online content and it would be brilliant. Anything else will be purely cosmetic.