Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 729
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:34:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Brother 8

Started by weirdbeard, May 25, 2007, 11:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backstage With Slowdive

One of the 2nd-hand book shops on Charing Cross Rd has the autobiography of Pete The Tourettes Sufferer from last year's BB, in its window, on sale for £1.

Fame, eh?

The whole CBB thing was interesting to read about, but whenever I tried to watch the show itself it was too miserable and tedious for words, like watching a squabble in a pub car park. Regular BB has this problem to a more severe extent. I've always found it very hard to watch for long, and couldn't get into it last year despite makin a resolution to try to follow what it was about. Nikki was merely an irritating spoilt brat, Shabaz just made no sense, and Pete Tourettes made me laugh and then feel guilty, because one of his scenes in the Diary Room sounded exactly like Klunk from Wacky Races.

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: drberbatov on May 26, 2007, 05:07:32 PMThe worry for me is that as each series goes on the contestants are getting more desperate and more emotionally vulnerable.

Yeah, and they started out with the reserve squad for Question Time.

Really, how worried are you? Is it stopping you sleeping at night? Just remember: the quality goes down because no one with any sense would go on the show after seeing what happens in previous years. This is the systematic flaw in all "reality television". See also: The Apprentice, which after 3 years now only has duds and chancers as contestants, since no one with any ability would go near it.

glitch

Does anyone know what the "official" reason that Pete and Nikki split up was and his method of breaking up with her? I don't read Heat, but heard an amusing anecdote from my housemate who used to date Pete's current belle.

Amusingly he was going to go to the papers with the skinny about Gemma/Cherry because she owed him money, but she beat him to the punch to pay off her credit card bill.

Oscar

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on May 28, 2007, 02:09:37 AM
Yeah, and they started out with the reserve squad for Question Time.

Really, how worried are you? Is it stopping you sleeping at night? Just remember: the quality goes down because no one with any sense would go on the show after seeing what happens in previous years. This is the systematic flaw in all "reality television". See also: The Apprentice, which after 3 years now only has duds and chancers as contestants, since no one with any ability would go near it.
I expect, Mr Snorty Sneer, that he/she is as worried as someone should be when they see exploitation of the weak used for entertainment, unlikely to be having sleepless nights but probably has a few "Urgh, my culture is nasty" moments. Whether the people on there are picked deliberately or because they are the only ones left (not sure about this theory, judging from people I know who tried to get on and from how many apply, I think they have quite a selection to choose from) doesn't matter if the people are there are an emotional mess then watching them crack up for laughs is a bit cold isn't it?

Backstage With Slowdive

Then don't watch the fucking show. That's your most effective weapon against Endemol - hit them in the ratings. The little I've seen of the "emotional crack-ups" that go on BB weren't even slightly entertaining, anyone who gorges on that stuff should be asking themselves questions.

Oscar

I don't watch the fucking show, but people still tell me about it, I see it in the papers so it's difficult to avoid completely - and I don't think I should, it's a big part of my culture and I want to understand why something that seems very wrong to me is so popular.

edit to add: I agree with the idea of not giving credence and attention to something that thrives on mass attention in the hope it will shrivel up and go away, but BB isn't doing that and that is both interesting and alarming to me.

I've got a copy of Dean off of BB2's book "Living in the Box" waiting to be read. Apparently it's a really good insight into how the programme works, the manipulation of footage that goes on etc. but unfortunately it comes to a crashing halt every so often when it goes all autobiographical. I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR CHILDHOOD DEAN, JUST TELL ME WHAT A BUNCH OF CUNTS ENDEMOL ARE.

One snippet I remember was the fact that they watched some big football match or other while they were in hiding despite the official line being that they were completely sealed off from the outside world. Not exactly the kind of revelation I paid my £2.50 + PayPal fees to find out but hopefully it gets better.

Neil

Ah yeah, I've been wanting to read that for a few years now.   As you say, it apparently has some great insights and info in it. 

Backstage With Slowdive

This is the problem:

Condensed summary of all the stupid things Jade Goody has said = FUNNY

Real-time coverage of Jade Goody saying things = NOT FUNNY

Newspaper articles about diplomatic crises / OFCOM complaints = INTERESTING

Real-time coverage of the incidents that caused them = SOUL-CRUSHINGLY TEDIOUS

Here's an idea: bin the actual format itself and do an Office-style mockumentary sitcom with proper scripts and a limited amount of improv, performed by professionals. Or set the thing on the Moon. Anything, really, to get away from the grinding dullness of the existing setup.

The little I saw of Shabaz's stint at the start of last year's run made me strongly suspect he was just a stunt performer put in the show who would be revealed later. They may yet try that.

glitch

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on May 28, 2007, 02:24:25 PM
The little I saw of Shabaz's stint at the start of last year's run made me strongly suspect he was just a stunt performer put in the show who would be revealed later. They may yet try that.

Wouldn't that just be rehashing the shit they pulled on that Celebrity Big Brother with the plastic-faced Paris Hilton impersonator.

Mister Six

Quote from: glitch on May 28, 2007, 04:06:34 PM
Wouldn't that just be rehashing the shit they pulled on that Celebrity Big Brother with the plastic-faced Paris Hilton impersonator.

Presumably the point would be that the public wouldn't know he was an actor paid to shit-stir.

Emma Raducanu

I'd like to think Shabaz was an actor. He made me laugh so much, I nearly cried with him in the diary room. He's not just a national insurance number!

Spiteface

I won't watch it.  Don't need to watch it to keep track of what's happening. tabloids covering it like they do.

Why is it that when they redesign the house, it seems like they do it in the hope that 2 of the housemate will fuck.  We all know C4 won't show it.

Put some weapons in there.  Maybe I'll watch.

What will proably happen with me this week, is i'll end up watching the first one, just to see who's in it, then not bother.

and I'll proably laugh my man-tits off if any of them get mugged after leaving.

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: DolphinFace on May 28, 2007, 05:44:23 PMI'd like to think Shabaz was an actor. He made me laugh so much, I nearly cried with him in the diary room. He's not just a national insurance number!

That was one of then bits I saw, and it really baffled me. Was it that he got the quote wrong, or was trying to make a crap joke, or what? What was going on??

Quote from: DolphinFace on May 28, 2007, 05:44:23 PM
I'd like to think Shabaz was an actor. He made me laugh so much, I nearly cried with him in the diary room. He's not just a national insurance number!

I think I read that he is fairly well-known as being a nutter in Glasgow(?) - even some Verbwhores knew people who at least knew of him.

buntyman

Quote from: Steve Lampkins on May 28, 2007, 08:31:07 PM
I think I read that he is fairly well-known as being a nutter in Glasgow(?) - even some Verbwhores knew people who at least knew of him.

Yes I used to live in Glasgow and have seen Shabaz. He was walking through Kelvingrove park and there was a lot of young-uns about drinking as it was a rare nice day. He was initially approached by a few autograph hungry girls but that was soon interrupted by a massive guy rugby tackling him to the ground, an action roundly greeted with a huge cheer.
One of my friends once told him to fuck off for harassing him in a petrol station.

InfiniteFury

From that pictures preview:

One half of the living area is raspberry pink, floor to ceiling, and the other half is baby blue.

They're going to split them into boys/girls and have a boys v girls competing for food/priviledges thing.

Maybe they'll work in some kind of "win a chance to get in the other camp" arrangement as the series progresses.

That's what I reckon and I reckon I'm right.

Backstage With Slowdive

Isn't that how that desert island thing works as well? "Shipwrecked", isn't it?

Beagle 2

Quote from: glitch on May 28, 2007, 09:37:47 AM

Amusingly he was going to go to the papers with the skinny about Gemma/Cherry

I'm probably going to sound thick but can you explain this sentence, I've tried cocking my head like a dog but it's still going over my head!

I picked up some DVD's of previous series off eBay and it's really odd to see them all strolling into the house in daylight casually getting settled in on day one, no pantomime cat calls at all. BB3 stands head and shoulders above the rest, Sandy was my favourite housemate of all time but he's pretty much airbrushed out of the DVD and retrospectives of that series for obvious reasons. Alex was fantastic too, someone I would have sworn I'd hate in the first week, but I ended up thinking was a good egg. 

The last couple have been increasingly bad, just dull. I just can't understand the wisdom of putting somebody like Lea in there, what are we going to do, keep looking at her ludicrous plastic surgery and saying "OMG look at her ludicrous plastic surgery" for THIRTEEN WEEKS? She was obviously a toilet. Make sure there's some less desperate older people in there, think about what's going to happen once the first few weeks are out of the way and people have settled down, burned out their look at me acts or started to go nuts, what side of them is going to be revealed, is there anything more in the tank? I'm pleased the sleb version went so badly wrong this year, hopefully it might shake off some of the smug, make them realise they've been trying far far too hard and fucking up a simple concept. I don't hold out a lot of hope though. They should make it like a sporting event and let other channels bid for the format. Actually, the thought of Sky getting it....eesh.

InfiniteFury

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on May 28, 2007, 09:00:11 PM
Isn't that how that desert island thing works as well? "Shipwrecked", isn't it?

Haven't seen it but I looked through the pictures again and notice how things are split - hob on one side, sink on the other side of the house. Fridge in the garden etc etc

Some sort of sharing/trust implications along with opportunities to fuck the other camp over in exchange for additional stuff by not returning things to them and what-have-you.

Fielding

Quote from: InfiniteFury on May 28, 2007, 08:59:07 PM
From that pictures preview:

One half of the living area is raspberry pink, floor to ceiling, and the other half is baby blue.

They're going to split them into boys/girls and have a boys v girls competing for food/priviledges thing.

I wonder if they're going to do something about women getting voted off earlier than men. I heard a statistic somewhere that in every UK Big Brother thus far (celebrity or otherwise) it's always been a woman voted off first - I 'm not sure  if that's true but it sounds probable. Perhaps they'll have a women vs men task with the prize being immunity from the public vote and fix it for the women to win.

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 28, 2007, 09:01:12 PMSandy was my favourite housemate of all time but he's pretty much airbrushed out of the DVD and retrospectives of that series for obvious reasons

What are they?

George Oscar Bluth II

To put it bluntly, Shabaz was a bit mad.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Steve LampkinsI think I read that he is fairly well-known as being a nutter in Glasgow(?).

Quote from: buntymanYes I used to live in Glasgow and have seen Shabaz. He was walking through Kelvingrove park and there was a lot of young-uns about drinking as it was a rare nice day.

I used to quite frequently see Shabaz in Glasgow about a decade (or so) ago.  I lived near Kelvingrove Park and walking home after nights in The Hive I'd often see him standing in Kelvin Way dressed in all sorts of transvestity costumes - a Wonder Woman one stands out in my mind, for some reason. 

Probably cos its not what you expect to see on a rainy February night in Glasgow..

Beagle 2

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on May 28, 2007, 09:31:03 PM
What are they?

He slagged everyone off, and then was the first to escape over the fence ("Saaandy be careful..."), but he was so fucking funny in the days leading up to that once he'd decided he'd had enough of these idiots and became increasingly grumpier, telling Johnny he found his humour "quite basic" etc.

Oh and he murdered Holly and Jessica but that was all covered up by the US government.

Murdo

According to Chris Moyles he's taking over the hosting duties for Big Brother's Big Mouth for the first week. I don't know who is doing it after him though.

I haven't decided if I'm even going to bother with it this year, I'll probably just read this thread and watch the odd eviction night.

Quote from: Murdo on May 29, 2007, 09:21:42 AM
According to Chris Moyles he's taking over the hosting duties for Big Brother's Big Mouth for the first week. I don't know who is doing it after him though.

George Galloway's signed up to present four shows:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds58366.html

In BB Book News, it looks like Narinder has got one coming out called "Big Brother: The Inside Story":

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds58323.html

Shocking revelations include the fact that Jade is a bit of a bully.

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 29, 2007, 05:08:15 AM
He slagged everyone off, and then was the first to escape over the fence ("Saaandy be careful..."), but he was so fucking funny in the days leading up to that once he'd decided he'd had enough of these idiots and became increasingly grumpier, telling Johnny he found his humour "quite basic" etc.

Sandy was spectacular.  My favourite BB moment was when the black guy (was it Lee?) complained that Sandy didn't make an effort to talk to the rest of the group and pointed out that one morning Sandy came over and talked to him about nuclear weapons and Lee didn't know anything about it so he didn't say anything so Sandy got bored and wandered off but hey... at least Lee made the effort of sitting there and listening to him!

He also once declared that Johnny "Repulsed" him, which was fair enough as the early weeks of that BB would have turned the stomach of anyone over 25.  It was just one long 18-30 holiday, full of stupid "bonding" exercises and sitting around drinking cider for 8 hours.

weirdbeard

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,,2091050,00.html

QuoteA member of the Women's Institute, a political protester and a former lap dancer are among the housemates who will appear on the eighth series of Big Brother. Hours before the Channel 4 show kicks off once again, Big Brother has released some tantalising clues about this year's contestants.

The participants include the oldest housemate yet, a nanny and a relative of a Premiership footballer. Two of the contestants have got children, nine are single and three have never been on a plane.

Perhaps to counter claims of the show pandering to the lowest common demoninator, one contestant was a child prodigy who could read by the age of two. This year's house could also be spick and span since one of the housemates is a cleaner.

This will be the first time a Women's Institute member has appeared. The WI's old-fashioned "jam and Jerusalem" image was dispelled when one group famously posed nude, a stunt that became the subject of the film Calendar Girls, starring Helen Mirren and Julie Walters.

This series, hosted again by Davina McCall, will be screened with three apologies for Channel 4's handling of the Celebrity Big Brother race row that led to more than 54,000 complaints from the public. Ofcom, the media watchdog, concluded that Channel 4 had committed a "serious error of judgment", breaching its broadcasting code on four occasions arising from the alleged racist bullying of the Bollywood actor Shilpa Shetty.

The issue raised concerns that the broadcaster was unable to view the incidents in a wider context and unable to deal with the way complaints escalated internationally. It has also emerged that further instances of racial abuse, including a rhyme implying the word "p**i", were not flagged up straight away by the producers and stayed hidden from the public.