Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:06:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mystic Thread of Alan Moore

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, May 29, 2007, 07:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That's exactly the kind of guest star introduction that I really hate on The Simpsons. The rest of it was pretty funny though, especially the Watchmen Babies. Seems a bit of a wasted opportunity having an occultist on the show and not meeting Ned Flanders, though.

Santa's Boyfriend

I thought it was funny - particularly Spiegelman putting on the Maus mask.  Gloriously bad taste!

Xander

See, I thought the Watchmen Babies was excellent, purely because it's so believable. The Maus bit was surprising to me. Yes, it's in bad taste, but that doesn't make it prima facie funny. It doesn't gel. Hurrah, the western liberal comic representation of the holocaust has been reduced to a quasi-superhero. It just seemed incredibly disrespectful. Not even a parody, just misplaced.

Monkeyman1138

Does anyone know a good place to import LOEG: Black Dossier from? Most american websites won't support my credit card type (which is Maestro, if that helps), including the US Amazon. Can anyone help?

Santa's Boyfriend

Santa's Boyfriend

...I'll keep an eye out for anyone else selling it - although to  be honest I have a sneaking suspicion that plenty of comics shops will get it anyway.  It's a guaranteed seller, after all.

The Widow of Brid

So, everyone else got The Black Dossier now?

Spoiler alert

"He didn't even't bat an eyelid. He must meet women with names like that all the time!"

James Bond being a prick. Hi-De-Hi and Carry on Cabby, all in the first couple of pages! Yay! Loved all the 1984 stuff, and Bessie Bunter being the 'Bessie' referred to in the notes. I just love the LoEG universe to be honest.

There was an awful lot of cock in it though. Is this the shape of a married Moore, sex scenes every three pages?
[close]

CaledonianGonzo

http://kleinletters.com/BuyStuffTop.html

This would appear to be a must buy for Moore collectors - and, at a tenner inc. postage, at a bargain price as well.  Limited to 500, though, so you'd better be quick.

Santa's Boyfriend

I met Todd Klein last summer.  He was a lovely old guy.

Jack Shaftoe

Re. The Black Dossier

Spoiler alert
Yeah, there was a bit much sexing in that for me. Having a great time re-reading it at a slower pace, picking up on all the background jokes (Glam Cabs!) and reading the stuff like the Wodehouse/Lovecraft thing, which wasn't perfect, but was very well done.

Incidentally, I didn't even realize it was out until I saw your post earlier Mrs C, then made a squeaking noise and got it off Amazon, so many thanks for that.
[close]

Jess Nevins has made his usual lovely set of Moore annotations here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12391

CaledonianGonzo

I'm leaving the Black Dossier for a Christmas day treat, so can't really comment on any of it - but I do appreciate the use of spoiler tags, folks.

Santa's Boyfriend

Have just got it, and am reading it at the moment.  It's good so far.

quadraspazzed

Mine's (well actually my Xmas present for my Da) just been shipped from Amazon.com. Feel all tingly.

Harfyyn Teuport

Just got it last night, have found myself, as expected, enjoying it immensely but having to stop myself from reading it too much because I just don't want it to be finished. Was very smug about my progress in deciphering a lot of the references until I checked in on Jess Nevins' Annotations, (which I'd assumed wouldn't have had so much up online this time round, considering he's a proper, publishy type writer now these days) and found a raft of them in the prologue alone which I should have gotten (and dozens I never had any chance of getting). Fucking thing.

Anyway, it is spectacularly indulgent, and every once in a while perhaps strays into too much telling rather than showing, but if there's anyone who can get away with that it's Moore so I'm on board fully at the moment.

lardboy

Lost Girls is now officially available to the UK and Europe.  Cheaper from Amazon ($66) than Top Shelf ($120), and could be customs charges through either, but you pays your money...

I've gone for Amazon, as Top Shelf wanted $45 for shipping to Europe.  Fuck that.

Glebe

Fuck me, I've just discovered he's a nephew of astronomer Patrick!

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Glebe on January 12, 2008, 03:21:43 PM
Fuck me, I've just discovered he's a nephew of astronomer Patrick!
[citation needed]

Glebe

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CI9GTLgIKdI

Thought he might be taking the piss, did a Google:

Telegraph - Why I'm a fan of the Man U of comics writers.

"A nephew of Patrick Moore, he contrives to seem even madder than his uncle."

CaledonianGonzo

Moore was taking the piss - the Telegraph writer seems to have taken him at face value, though.  They're not related.  The 'Man U of Comic Writers' is a quote we won't see appearing in the front of any of his forthcoming works, I shouldn't think.

I want to read Jerusalem now! (I realise that it's nowhere near finished)

Ahem.  Someone from on here was interviewing him, weren't they?  Wonder if that ever got published.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Sam Leith In That Telegraph ArticlePraising that writer, Alan Moore, is a tricky proposition. To the minority of people who pay attention to comics, saying you like Alan Moore is the equivalent of announcing that you support Manchester United.

No it bloody well is not.

CaledonianGonzo

It's an incredibly poor analogy, isn't it..?

Nik Drou

Anyone going to the GOSH! signing in February? I must remember not to forget about that.

The Widow of Brid

Get him to write "Where's the hatemail?" on something for you. With a bit of luck and persistance we can slowly disconcert Alan Moore.

CaledonianGonzo

The only thing that would actually make me like Alan Moore less would be the knowledge that he's matey with [banned troll].

Oh.

Mister Six

Quote from: Nik Drou on January 12, 2008, 04:53:09 PM
Anyone going to the GOSH! signing in February? I must remember not to forget about that.

I'm tempted to go just to see the looks on the faces of the tourists coming out of the British Museum when they see the five-mile queue coming out of the shop.

Santa's Boyfriend

Heh.  Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Gosh are shitting themselves a little about this.  A while ago he was refusing to sign DC books - I wonder if that's still the case?

Nik Drou

That's a point, do I actually have to buy Lost Girls at this thing? it's like 40 quid and they might sell out.   Seems a little rude if I turn up with Killing Joke and an old Secret Origins he did. 

Santa's Boyfriend

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteA while ago he was refusing to sign DC books - I wonder if that's still the case?

For all the fact that the collection was published by *spit* Titan, was Albion a DC project? He was certainly happy enough to sign that when Mrs Trousers, Von Trousers and myself saw him in London late last year.