Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:36:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mystic Thread of Alan Moore

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, May 29, 2007, 07:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Indeed. I've probably not explained the story itself very well, but the thrust of it either way is incorporating the Watchmen characters into that universe, which sounds shit, to be antagonists for the DC heroes, which sounds shit.

Bringing those characters into that world just makes no sense and entirely misses the point of the book; an enclosed, stand-alone story.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 22, 2016, 11:55:01 PM
Ha, that sounds so ridiculously shit. You'd have thought that after Before Watchmen they'd have realised no one wants them to fuck about with the characters, but apparently not.

They sold pretty well though, despite the flak. Also, DC said one reason why it did those that they were trying to stimulate their market, which I think is pretty much the reason behind Rebirth (for better or worse).

Glebe

Catalogue Trousers

Does anybody know if the Moon And Serpent Bumper Book Of Magic is still going to happen, or has it been quietly abandoned following the passing of Steve Moore?

Glebe

*bump*

Just read Nemo: River of Ghosts the other day. It was alright. The
Spoiler alert
Hugo Coghlan character being descended from Cuchulainn (or actually being him?) and apparently being the father of Desperate Dan
[close]
is well mental.

Btw, here's a new Moore interview:

"The interior of the human head is infinite": A Conversation with Alan Moore.

pigamus

Is there a thread on Jerusalem? I've just bought it - it's half price at Foyle's in Birmingham, if that information's any use to anyone.

Glebe

Quote from: pigamus on January 19, 2017, 04:59:16 PMIs there a thread on Jerusalem? I've just bought it - it's half price at Foyle's in Birmingham, if that information's any use to anyone.

They have it in a local bookshop, which is a bit of a surprise round my way.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: pigamus on January 19, 2017, 04:59:16 PM
Is there a thread on Jerusalem? I've just bought it - it's half price at Foyle's in Birmingham, if that information's any use to anyone.

Maybe a support thread for people who've bought it and are now trying to forget that they have so that they don't have to try to read it?

The Roofdog

And a support thread for people who crippled themselves carrying it home.

CaledonianGonzo

Due to being printed on the same sort of ultra-thin paper as a bible it's not even that chunky of a book.  It's more the content that gives me the heebie jeebies.

BritishHobo

Got it for Christmas - the single book, rather than the three-volume boxset. Hugely excited to drop into it, but also terrified I may never come out.

billtheburger

Quote from: Glebe on January 19, 2017, 03:28:11 AM
Btw, here's a new Moore interview:

"The interior of the human head is infinite": A Conversation with Alan Moore.
I love the fact that he name drops his mate Adam Curtis in that interview.
Can you imagine going pub with them two?
Best / grumpiest quiz night in the world.

QDRPHNC

Halfway through the first book. Loving it.

Small Man Big Horse

Has anyone finished Jerusalem? And if so, is it worth the amount of time it takes to read? I noticed it's available for £12.99 on Amazon right now so I am tempted...

BritishHobo

Fuck, I never got back around to reading that. I was enjoying (the prologue of) it, though.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 03, 2018, 04:30:42 PM
Has anyone finished Jerusalem? And if so, is it worth the amount of time it takes to read? I noticed it's available for £12.99 on Amazon right now so I am tempted...

Yes and yes. It has its flaws, but it's worth it overall.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 04, 2018, 01:51:40 AM
Yes and yes. It has its flaws, but it's worth it overall.

Cool, thanks for that, I shall buy it now.

magval

Small Man Big Horse

Because this thread existed long before the Books forum did. I probably should have started a new thread in it, but just didn't think.

bgmnts

I have it on Audiobook but sadly Moore doesnt narrate it, it seems. Which is a shame because his reading of Rorschach's journal is sublime!