Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:50:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Yoko Ono Believes She Will Live Forever [split topic]

Started by Jemble Fred, May 30, 2007, 01:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

This is the best thread I can find to post this, but it's so delightfully insane it had to be shared:

QuoteYoko Ono believes she will live forever
- The Japanese artist, the widow of Beatles legend John Lennon, is convinced scientists will discover a cure for aging within 10 years and she will be able to regain her youth
She said: "I think finally we have come to a point where we can choose between living and dying.

"I had a rough life in the sense that there were times when I didn't treat my body right. But you can help your body to recover - that's what is important now.

"It's probably going to take another 10 years for me to be young again, but I will be young again. And isn't that just so great?"

Yoko also believes curry is good for the brain and can prevent diseases.

She added: "Curry powder is very good for the brain cells. Think of all the Indian people you know who have Alzheimer's, then you'll see what I mean."

NoSleep

The strong taste of chillies is due to the way they attack your taste buds. And they cause brain damage, AFAIK.

Even if they can reverse aging, "you" will still die, as new brain cells will slowly replace who "you" are. Assuming stem cell research or similar ever gets to that stage.

Jemble Fred

Oh shit, there's no way this was worth a thread in a million years. Sorry everyone, I should have kept my trap shut. Oh well.

Funcrusher

I saw a retrospective exhibtion of Yoko Ono's art a few years ago and rather liked it. I'm pretty ambivalent about The Beatles, so I don't hold a grudge about her splitting them up, which she probably didn't.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Yoko Ono"It's probably going to take another 10 years for me to be young again, but I will be young again. And isn't that just so great?"

Yoko also believes curry is good for the brain and can prevent diseases.

She added: "Curry powder is very good for the brain cells. Think of all the Indian people you know who have Alzheimer's, then you'll see what I mean."

I like Yoko a lot but my, does she ever talk some shit. Still, it's part of her charm. I look forward to seeing the younger, sprightlier Yoko in a few years. It'd be nice to see her ditch those ridiculous googles once her eyesight starts improving.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

She's right though, I can't think of a single Indian person that has Alzheimer's. Which if you think about it really hard, proves it.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 30, 2007, 02:26:29 PM
I'm pretty ambivalent about The Beatles, so I don't hold a grudge about her splitting them up, which she probably didn't.

That whole myth has been completely disproven, but a lot of people still choose to believe it. Sure, her presence may have generated a certain amount of friction with the other Beatles, but it's not like that friction wasn't already there. The fact is, they were growing apart from each other, and I don't doubt that the band would've split within a few years anyway if John had never met Yoko. There's still a fair amount of racism and mysogyny in the public's perception of Yoko.

Anyhow, wasn't it for the best that they split when they did? I'm glad I didn't ever get to hear them experimenting with Fairlights and slap bass.

NoSleep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 30, 2007, 02:49:28 PM
She's right though, I can't think of a single Indian person that has Alzheimer's. Which if you think about it really hard, proves it.
I'm beginning to catch your drift.

CaledonianGonzo

I'm waiting for someone from the mainstream vs. obscure thread to come along into this thread and state their case for Yoko being the better musician than JWL.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 30, 2007, 03:22:22 PM
I'm waiting for someone from the mainstream vs. obscure thread to come along into this thread and state their case for Yoko being the better musician than JWL.

'Kiss Kiss Kiss' is my favourite song on Double Fantasy and I think Season Of Glass is better than some of Lennon's solo albums, if that's any good to you.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

She's on Desert Island Discs on 10 June, by the way. Being catatonically dull as usual, I expect.

I like a lot of the ideas in her art, but so many of them are executed badly. Especially the films. You're a multi-millionaire, for God's sake - buy a decent camera!

I bet I'm the only person in the world who took a bus trip to Chelsea in order to visit the locations for 'Rape'. I got quite excited by all the changes, but of course I couldn't tell anyone because...well, nobody would know what on earth I was talking about.

CaledonianGonzo

I went to an Ono exhbition called 'Remember Love' in Stockholm a couple of years back, and it was excellent.  What really came across was the sense of fun.  You could go in a number of ways - we all chose to scoot in on a slide.  Once inside, there was all sorts of madness, including an unforgivably large video screen of the Lennon cock'n'balls, and a room wall-papered with tits.

There was lots of free (photocopied) Lennono memorabilia up for grabs, like the Declaration of Nutopia.  That, and loads of badges saying things like 'Remember', 'Love', 'Peace' and 'War Is Over'.

I didn't spring for a copy of Grapefruit, mind..

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I went to a Yoko exhibition and they had a Questions Tree, where you could write questions on bits of papers and attach them to the branches. She'd started us off, with questions like 'What is love?' and 'How do we know the sky is beautiful?' and shit like that.

I attached one, which said 'When's Rape coming out on DVD?'.

ccbaxter

The Press Association admits to over-egging her oddness:
QuoteYOKO - AN APOLOGY
(ADVISORY NOTICE)
In our story headed 1 ROYAL Corgi Substitute and 1 ROYAL Corgi (ROYAL PROTEST MAN "ATE CORGI" ON RADIO SHOW) which ran at 2207 on May 29 2007 and 0326 on May 30 2007, we claimed that Yoko Ono had appeared on a radio program with performance artist Mark McGowan and had tasted the dog meat which he was eating.
We now accept that the story was completely untrue and without any foundation.
Ms Ono did not appear on the program and was in fact in Moscow attending the opening of her show in the Moscow Biennale.
The story was a hoax, for which we fell. We apologise unreservedly for the offence and distress caused to Ms Ono.

Another (pleasantly surprised) fan of her Double Fantasy contributions here - actually, this reminds me to try to get round to getting the album she put out earlier this year, Yes I'm A Witch. Anyone here heard it?

Sean Lennon's delicate Friendly Fire was one of my favourite albums of last year, albeit I suspect slightly easier listening than some of his mother's music.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: ccbaxter on June 05, 2007, 08:40:28 PM
The Press Association admits to over-egging her oddness:
Another (pleasantly surprised) fan of her Double Fantasy contributions here - actually, this reminds me to try to get round to getting the album she put out earlier this year, Yes I'm A Witch. Anyone here heard it?

It sounds like a good sampler of her back catalogue. I'm interested to see how the various artists tackle the original songs. I've heard that The Flaming Lips do a very listenable remix of 'Cambridge 1969' from Life With The Lions, which I couldn't listen to the whole way through even once (it's 26 minutes of Yoko wailing over John playing feedback. Only really any good for sticking on at parties to alienate yourself from everyone in the room). I'm not a fan of everybody on there, but it's a very interesting line-up. What I'd really kill to hear is the Ween remix of one of her 90s tracks, 'Ask The Dragon'.

Anyone ever read the interview Tom Hibbert did with her for 'Who The Hell...?' Hilarious stuff. Hibbert didn't even have to try to make her look like a fool. Bless 'er.