Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:32:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[Football] - The Transfer Window Is [OPEN]

Started by Slaaaaabs, May 30, 2007, 10:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaaaaabs

The other thread was getting fat like a retired player running a pub in Spain.

I guess the transfer silly season is officially upon us. Manchester United have just announced they have purchased two lovely young boys from Portuguese teams, apparently it worked well for them last time they did it!

Nani, 20, comes from Sporting Lisbon and has already been earmarked to follow in Cristiano Ronaldo's erratic footsteps. Quite literally now.

Anderson, 19, was an FC Porto player before today and is actually Brazilian. He's apparently going to be the new Ronaldinho, which is far more appealing than being the next Kleberson.

No fees mentioned yet but ~£15m each has been speculated.

hoverdonkey

Is this the right forum for footie? United certainly seizing the initiative this summer. Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves before the window officially opens. Blimey.

weekender

Do you intend to start new threads at the start and end of each transfer window?  Or you can you change "OPEN" to "CLOSED" in due course?  I'd have called it "Football Thread".

United certainly seem to be doing alright there - Nani's been touted for a while as a class act.

Why is this media related? Well obviously its media related but you know what I mean you bastards, thought this would be in GB but spoze its not particularly important.

So, Parker to West Ham for 8.5 mill? Blimey

ccbaxter

After events not entirely unrelated to another thread in this here media forum, I wouldn't be all that surprised if - even amid these United signings - the name Kieran Richardson is being scrawled very heavily by Fergie onto the transfer list...

How does the work permit deal work with Anderson, then, I gathered he hadn't actually been capped yet?

I love the summer silly season - especially with this being a year ending in an odd number, so new major England disappointment to sully the transfer speculation - but this isn't going to become a BBC-esque "My brother bumped into Ronaldinho's estate agent's next-door neighbour's dentist on the bus the other day and it's 67.3 per cent Barca's toothy Brazilian superstar will sign for Spurs this summer" kind of a sort of a thingummy, right...?

Actually, no, let's make it happen.

Slaaaaabs

Richardson isn't even worth burning for fuel. He could be the make-weight in a deal for the new players welcome party.

Quote from: weekender on May 30, 2007, 10:35:01 PM
Do you intend to start new threads at the start and end of each transfer window?  Or you can you change "OPEN" to "CLOSED" in due course?  I'd have called it "Football Thread"

Yeah I'll change the thread title as and when. I figured it makes sense as there isn't going to be much actual football for a while.

This got moved from General Bullshit by Neil so I guess here is where it belongs.

Geraint

Giggs' decision to retire from international football suddenly makes even more sense, a winger and a young left-footed playmaker will heap the pressure on him and Scholes, though coming off their great seasons I expect them to still be regulars for at least another year.

I thought Anderson did have a handful of caps - Brazil play loads of friendlies for commercial reasons and so are much quicker than Italy, England, Spain etc to blood young talent. He obviously hasn't played 70% of their recent games but young players with his reputation are understandably able to get work permits on appeal most times. Don't think he's been at Porto long enough, but perhaps he has dual nationality, avoiding the whole process? It's certainly not as confusing as how Chelsea got Kalou without fuss but have had to wait years for Alex

actwithoutwords

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on May 30, 2007, 10:52:53 PM
Yeah I'll change the thread title as and when. I figured it makes sense as there isn't going to be much actual football for a while.
You can't change thread titles any more though, except for a short period after the initial post.

Huzzie

I have been avoiding this place since we lost to Milan and Liverpool went through (I just couldn't stand to see aqny gloating from Scousers). I was looking forward to coming back after the FA Cup but, well, no need to dwell on that pile of shite.

Anyway, I am here now because we have just signed Nani and Andersonn both from Porto (who we have a special relationship with, feeder club style. I dunno what to call the relationship but most big clubs have similar relationships with 1 or more smaller European clubs).

There is always that worry with Players South of say Bordeux (especially South Americans) that they won't be able to hack the Prem, they won't be able to acclimatise to the climate or the culture. We have seen it so many times before, Kleberson and Veron to name but two for one team.

That said, I am really looking excited about these signings. I have heard lots of good things about Anderson but I have not yet had the chance to see him myself. Nani looks like a great prospect from the little I have seen of him.

So, what do you think of them? Who has seen them play and did they stand out to you (before you knew of any links to English clubs). What kind of players are they? Who can you compare them with?

I am wondering if there is more that football reasons for Fergie choosing two Portuguese speaking players. I know Ronaldo is already friendly with Nani. It is very important to keep Ronnie happy, we all know that he will not have any problems in waking up one day and deciding "Look at that fucking weather! Nah, fuck this, I'll get my agent to give Barca a call". To give him a couple of human pressies is good thinking, especially if Gabby is fucking off (I hope not - although I am far from completely happy with his game - but that has been mentioned).

Hopefully we will bag Hargreaves soonest, though I have heard there are a few niggly problems with the contract, due in some way to Bayern. I don't know what it is and there is a big chance it is bollocks but there you are.

I just pray (to who, I don't know cause I am atheist, Morrissey I guess) that Hargreaves, Scholes and Carrick doesn't mean 4-5-1!! I hope we play (shooting ^ that a-way) [Giggs/Nani Scholes Hargreaves Ronnie]. With being able to come on for Scholsey or start in place of him when need be as we need to be careful about over playing him and Giggsy now (poss G-Nev too).

So, as long as we keep it 4-4-2 I am more than happy with this. Would have loved Torres or Huntelaar but if Anderson copes well with the Prem then...

Saha (as long as he doesn't keep on handing in sick notes)
              Rooney
Giggsy/Nani Scholsey/Carrick Owen Ronnie
              Evra Vidic Rio G-Nev
                        Foster/VDS

Subs and rest of squad.
Heinze
Rossi
Silvestre
O'Shea                                                                       Out = RICHARDSON!!!!!
Flec                                                                           Really can't think of anyone else I want out. If need be then Silvestre.
Ole (last season, surely then a nice job at the Cliff)            If Glazer were to put a gun to my head until I choose 5 players to go, I
Nani/Giggs                                                                   Really wouldn't want to but on top of those two it would be (in order)
Carrick                                                                        Brown, Heinze, Smith.
Evans
Anderson
Van Der Sar
Kuscheck (or however that's spelt)
Brown

EDIT: Just found out that Anderson is not actually a striker as I thought he was but a midfielder (left wing I think) but it is quarter past 4 now and as excited as I am, I just can't be arsed changing my formation.
Ji Sung Park
Smith
Dong
Pique
Bardsley
Eagles
Cathcart

Huzzie

Anyone have any idea at all if Anderson will play in the friendly next week (or whenever it is)?

Huzzie

Wowzers! I've just seen that Anderson's price was £17ml!! Surely that must be Euros (how do you do a Euro sign?), not pounds?! Even so, Fergie must think he is quite the prospect at that price. Ronnie was 5ml cheaper than that!! No doubt it will be paid over a certain amount of time, subject to change depending on games played, Euro games played, Goals scored etc.

I haven't seen Nani's price yet. Can anyone tell me?

EDIT: I forgot the main point of my post.... It turns out that Anderson is a red! Of course he could just be making it up to endear himself to the fans but he says that ever since he was a boy he has been a United fan. I guess he is probs `17 or 18 so no doubt he started really noticing United around the treble.

The TREBLE Scousers! Remember when we beat you in the cup in 77? making sure that there is only one team that has ever been good enough to win the TREBLE?

;-)

weirdbeard

Any Oldham fans looking forward to the prospect of a convicted killer playing for you?

Huzzie

What do you mean Weirdbeard?

Are you an Oldham fan? Does Mike Clegg still play for you? He was in my team when we were younger, we were bezzie mates. I was so proud of him when he played his first game for Manchester United. A bit less proud when he played his first game for Oldham:-)

What is Andy Ritchie up to now?

buttgammon

Quote from: weirdbeard on May 31, 2007, 02:30:07 AM
Any Oldham fans looking forward to the prospect of a convicted killer playing for you?

I saw a thing on Sky Sports News which said "After he is released from prison," and I thought for half a nanosecond that his former club was called Prison and they were terminating his contract!

As for Anderson and Nani, I'm cautiously optimistic about them. It sounds as though they will really strengthen our squad and the point about keeping Ronaldo happy sounds very true as well. I've got a slight doubt that one of them could become another Veron or Shevchenko who just can't settle in the Premiership (although you never know what Shevchenko will do at Chelsea next season) but lots of players have adjusted very well and I think Nani and Anderson will fit in at United, especially with the Portuguese vibe we've got going now.

And is it too much to ask for Kieran Richardson to just fuck off?

As for Heinze, I don't think I'll miss him much if he goes. Evra has shown that he is more than capable, even if he has struggled to get in the team since he was sidelined for a while through injury.

weirdbeard

My first away game was at Oldham.  It was fucking freezing (Boxing Day) and we lost 4-1, Andy Richie slamming a hat-trick.   No fucking way am I an Oldham fan.

Anyway, back to the point,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/o/oldham_athletic/6703663.stm

QuoteOldham are close to agreeing a deal to sign striker Lee Hughes when he is released from prison.

Former West Brom and Coventry player Hughes, 31, is set to be released from prison this summer.

He was sentenced to six years in jail in 2004 after being found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving.

"Lee deserves a second chance and we consider this a top-class signing," Oldham director Barry Owen told the club website.

"Oldham Athletic does not condone what happened and we are very sympathetic towards the family of the victim.

"However, Lee Hughes is now nearing the end of his sentence and he has paid the price for what occurred.

"We would ask supporters and the general public not to pass moral judgement.

"We hope that if his hearing is successful Lee will be available to play for Oldham near to the start of the season.

"The player is training very hard and is exceptionally fit. Bearing in mind his past footballing achievements, I hope this will turn out to be one of our best signings for many years."

Hughes began his career with Kidderminster before earning a move to the Baggies in 1997 for £350,000.

He signed for Coventry for £5m in 2001 but moved back to West Brom a year later for a fee of £2.5m.

and from Wikipedia:

QuoteDuring the 2003-2004 season, Hughes was involved in a car crash in which his Mercedes CL500 collided with a Renault Scenic near the Warwickshire village of Meriden. A passenger in the Renault was killed, and another, Albert Frisby, was left in a wheelchair for life. Hughes and his passenger fled the scene before turning themselves in to the police the following day. Hughes was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and released on police bail, allowing him to complete Albion's Division One campaign and gain them promotion to the Premiership with Hughes being the club's leading league goalscorer on 13 goals.

On August 9, 2004, Hughes was found guilty of causing the death by dangerous driving of Douglas Graham, and of leaving the scene of an accident. The judge criticised Hughes for having a "callous disregard" for the four occupants of the Renault and he was sentenced to six years imprisonment and was banned from driving for ten years.

Sozzled on whisky as well, according to other reports.

Huzzie

That's insane!!

So, did he do the full 6 years? Surely he was sentanced to 6 and did 3/4 which is pretty normal.... Oh, sorry, just read your Wiki piece.

So, he hasn't played a professional match in nearly 4 years and he is already 31?!

Insane! Just... just incredibly insane! I might get a movie written and copywrite just incase he is really, really good!

Thanks for the info Weirdbeard!

EDIT: Weirdbeard. I think I remember the game you are talking about. In fact I think I was there (used to go to United games and sometimes Oldham games, just due to locality and a best friend of the time being an Oldham supporter). Are you a Wolves fan by any chance? Might have a look through my old programs if I can find them and see if I did go. I defo remember the game. Was it on New Year, or around Christmas?

EDIT2: Sorry, I really should read through posts better. You did say it was Boxind day. Was it Wolverhampton Wonderers?

EDIT3: Just been searching and it seems I was right (I think) and it was Wolves but I can't find what season it was to see if I did go. What year was it Weirdbeard?

Huzzie

Sorry. I said above we got both players from Porto. That isn't true. Nani came from Sporting Lisbon which is the same place we got Ronnie from.

If I remember correctly it is Lisbon who we have the "special relationship" with. Do we also have a similar thing going on with Porto?

EDIT: Also, it says that Anderson is a left winger! Is that right? I was sure he was a forward. So, we have bought two left wingers? Am I right? I wonder then if we may still be interested in a forward... I really think we need one. Huntelaar, Torres, Villa, Bent.. Those were in order but thinking about it, knowing that he is proven in the premier league I think I would go for Berbatov as my first choice there. I would be interested in Owen if he wasn't scouse (I know he isn't from Liverpool but once a scouse, always a scouse) and we could probably get him for a snip right now. I wouldn't be happy taking him away from Newcastle though. I would feel well guilty after they stood by him so much through injury then he gets up, stretches a little and fucks off to OT.

EDIT2: I am very disappointed we missed out on Bale. I really think he will be a very special player in a few years time when his price will more than have doubled.

phantom_power

berbatov is an exellent player but he is another "striker who isn't really a striker" like rooney and saha. i think united need a proper centre-forward, a target man, a poacher, whatever you want to call them. that is, of course, assuming a 4-4-2 formation which may not be a given

chand

Quote from: Huzzie on May 31, 2007, 03:14:34 AMEDIT2: I am very disappointed we missed out on Bale. I really think he will be a very special player in a few years time when his price will more than have doubled.

I'm not massively arsed, we already have about 3000 players who can play left-back, and at least he's only gone to Spurs rather than a title rival (ooh, I'm a bitch!).

Good signings all round, Hargreaves will beef up our midfield usefully and give us an option for games where we've been a bit overrun there, while Nani and Anderson look like good buys for the future, probably playing as understudies to Giggs and Scholes for this upcoming season. Nice to see us doing things quickly rather than leaving it late and getting drawn into bidding wars and so on.

Quote from: phantom_power on May 31, 2007, 09:14:22 AM
berbatov is an exellent player but he is another "striker who isn't really a striker" like rooney and saha. i think united need a proper centre-forward, a target man, a poacher, whatever you want to call them. that is, of course, assuming a 4-4-2 formation which may not be a given

But we had the best goal-poaching centre-forward in the business and got rid of him to change to a different style. Whatever formation you want to call this that we're using now it's built around quick, mobile forward players interchanging and becoming hard to pick up. Rooney, Saha, Giggs and Ronaldo drag defenders all over the place; it seems the thinking is that that way is better than having a man heading for the six yard box all the time. I loved Ruud, still do, the man's a fucking phenomenon, but towards the end we were playing in such a way that if you could mark him out of the game or if he played badly we really struggled. Saha enables us to play a different way, and if Rossi's coming back he drifts around in a Rooney/Scholes-esque fashion too.

We've not played orthodox 4-4-2 a great deal this season. I think Hargreaves might come in to sit alongside Carrick in front of the back four, and their job will be to win the ball and move it on to our front four in whatever configuration they're set up, be it Saha in front of a trio of Rooney, Scholes and Ronaldo or Rooney ahead of Giggs, Scholes and Ronaldo or whatever.

Hobes

Meanwhile, in the world of 'proper' football ;-)

Forest's depression continue with top scorer Grant Holt handing in a transfer request, awol striker 'Junior' Agogo still in rehab (although officially injured - the club refused to play him till he'd completed the rehab - with nothing in his system, otherwise we could have had another Rio on our hands) and the 'fans' still baying for the manager's, chairman's and chief exec's heads.

Whilst the clubs around us are snapping up players left right and centre (even convicted killers!) we are going to rely on the youth team next season, having released 7 first team players including the inept ex-Man Yoof John Curtis and the very good fans favourite Jack 'one-decent' Lester.

On the plus side season tickets have gone down 10% (having been kept at Championship levels the last two season).

weirdbeard

Quote from: Huzzie on May 31, 2007, 02:51:26 AM
EDIT: Weirdbeard. I think I remember the game you are talking about. In fact I think I was there (used to go to United games and sometimes Oldham games, just due to locality and a best friend of the time being an Oldham supporter). Are you a Wolves fan by any chance? Might have a look through my old programs if I can find them and see if I did go. I defo remember the game. Was it on New Year, or around Christmas?

EDIT2: Sorry, I really should read through posts better. You did say it was Boxind day. Was it Wolverhampton Wonderers?

EDIT3: Just been searching and it seems I was right (I think) and it was Wolves but I can't find what season it was to see if I did go. What year was it Weirdbeard?

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=220937

I can still feel the cold sometimes.  And I missed our goal cos it was a ball-slowly-trickling-toward-the-goaline-before-being smashed-in kind of goal and everyone stood up and I was only a shortarse in those days.  Horrible day.

phantom_power

Quote from: chand on May 31, 2007, 10:12:06 AM

But we had the best goal-poaching centre-forward in the business and got rid of him to change to a different style. Whatever formation you want to call this that we're using now it's built around quick, mobile forward players interchanging and becoming hard to pick up. Rooney, Saha, Giggs and Ronaldo drag defenders all over the place; it seems the thinking is that that way is better than having a man heading for the six yard box all the time. I loved Ruud, still do, the man's a fucking phenomenon, but towards the end we were playing in such a way that if you could mark him out of the game or if he played badly we really struggled. Saha enables us to play a different way, and if Rossi's coming back he drifts around in a Rooney/Scholes-esque fashion too.

those are good points but i didn't specifically mean a van nistelrooy style player, more one that is actually going to get in the box and score the tap-ins, one that thinks about scoring ahead of laying off to someone else, someone who can actually score from a corner. think solskjaer 8 years ago, or fowler/owen in their prime. one of the criticisms of rooney is that he can't play on his own up front. maybe he needs to drop into the scholes role to allow a proper centre forward to go into the one-up-top position.

Quote from: Hobes on May 31, 2007, 10:48:29 AM
Meanwhile, in the world of 'proper' football ;-)

Forest's depression continue with top scorer Grant Holt handing in a transfer request, awol striker 'Junior' Agogo still in rehab (although officially injured - the club refused to play him till he'd completed the rehab - with nothing in his system, otherwise we could have had another Rio on our hands) and the 'fans' still baying for the manager's, chairman's and chief exec's heads.

Whilst the clubs around us are snapping up players left right and centre (even convicted killers!) we are going to rely on the youth team next season, having released 7 first team players including the inept ex-Man Yoof John Curtis and the very good fans favourite Jack 'one-decent' Lester.

On the plus side season tickets have gone down 10% (having been kept at Championship levels the last two season).

Lets not forget another horrible source of our depression: Derby have just been promoted to the Premiership

zozman

I didn't know that about Agogo - what's he (allegedly) on then?  The drugs, or the booze, or the drugsandbooze off a prostitute's arse?

There's not much coming from the youth team I don't think.  McGugan will play a big role next term, and Power and Brendan Moloney should come through, but we still need a couple of full backs, a keeper, a striker and a pair of wingers at least.

Hobes

Quote from: Regular Chicken on May 31, 2007, 12:25:24 PM
Lets not forget another horrible source of our depression: Derby have just been promoted to the Premiership

... and we've sacked our physio.

(Okay the Derby bit's worse - but to be honest, I've mellowed toward Derby a lot over the last few seasons - I'd even go as far as to say I dislike Leicester more, for all their fanancial irregularities, bully boy tactics coupled with diving, time-wasting etc)

It'll be a mixed bag of watching Derby thrashed week in week out, whilst raking in the millions of Sky pounds.

Huzzie

News just in. We have got Hargreaves. Check ceefax or Sky Sports News.

Actually, you're on your PC aren't you? Might as well go to skysports.com

Hobes

Tee Hee, welcome to The Forest show...

Quote from: zozman on May 31, 2007, 12:33:49 PM
I didn't know that about Agogo - what's he (allegedly) on then?  The drugs, or the booze, or the drugsandbooze off a prostitute's arse?

The allegation us that John Thompson was the wild boy, and leader of the drinking & coke parties, which were attended by a few of the older players (including Lester, and going as far back as Reid's time and that 'cocktail' incident (alleged)). Thompson refused to change and was shipped out, Agogo admitted to have taken coke (allegedly) but wanted to change, so rather than risk playing him and being caught out by a random drugs teast he was sent off to rehab....

... or so the story goes.  

Quote from: zozman on May 31, 2007, 12:33:49 PM
There's not much coming from the youth team I don't think.  McGugan will play a big role next term, and Power and Brendan Moloney should come through, but we still need a couple of full backs, a keeper, a striker and a pair of wingers at least.

Dale Roberts or Paddy Gamble will probably step in as second fiddle keeper as well, both of which should be better than the bag of nerves Barry Roche.

Up front we are still heavily linked to Leon Best as a 'free' (plus compensation) from Southampton, although to me he seesm too similar to Tyson?

Huzzie

Quote from: phantom_power on May 31, 2007, 09:14:22 AM

That's what I thought for some time PP but after really seeing him, I truly believe he can play infront of Rooney and do it brilliantly! I think the guy just has so much to his game and there is no reason at all that he can't score as many Ruud type poached goals as
absolute screamers.

EDIT: Plus what Chand said.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ah, I thought you were buying Anderson Polga. Another Anderson, then. What a world. Bloody Brazilians.

Parker's on his way to West Ham which is a shame, though if we're getting Joey Barton I can't exactly say that's an improvement. Similar ability, we're just getting rid of the one that isn't an unbelievable cunt.

Huzzie

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 31, 2007, 12:52:02 PM
Ah, I thought you were buying Anderson Polga. Another Anderson, then. What a world. Bloody Brazilians.

HAHAHA:-)

EDIT: Hmm. At the right club Parker could be quite a player I reckon. Though, Barton, cunt that he is, is much better.