Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:11:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[Football] - The Transfer Window Is [OPEN]

Started by Slaaaaabs, May 30, 2007, 10:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I liked Wes Browns attempt to fall over on a flat surface.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

To be fair his foot got caught on a bit of divot.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think his brain got caught in a bit of a divot.

Toad in the Hole

To go back to the first page, I think I'm right in saying Barry Roche is now at Chesterfield, not Forest?  Or was that just on loan?

Mr. Analytical

So apparently England are saved.

Our midfield still doesn't work, nor does our attack and the defence is decidedly ropey but hey... we can now take free kicks.

Roll on Euro 2008

buttgammon

Can I talk about the Euro 2008 qualifiers here?

If not, I've made a big mistake.

Anyway, there's been a strange incident in the Denmark v Sweden game. Sweden were leading 3-0 with half an hour left, but Denmark clawed their way back into it and got the score to 3-3. With a minute to go, Denmark had Poulsen sent off and had conceded a penalty. Before it could be taken by Sweden, a Danish spectator ran on to the pitch and tried to attack the referee, but was restrained. The ref then abandoned the match before the penalty could be taken!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6715785.stm

It sounds like Sweden may be awarded the match 3-0, but I think it's debatable whether or not it should have been abandoned. Now it has been, however, I think it's only right that either a re-match in played behind closed doors or, more likely, Sweden are awarded the match for the simple fact that they weren't able to take the penalty though no fault of their own.

Hobes

Quote from: Toad in the Hole on June 02, 2007, 05:24:21 PM
To go back to the first page, I think I'm right in saying Barry Roche is now at Chesterfield, not Forest?  Or was that just on loan?

Roche is a Chesterfield player.

And that Denmark/Sweden game, was Graham Poll in charge by any chance? ;-)

buttgammon

I had to double check that he actually had retired when I hear about that, but apparently it wasn't. It sounds like a Poll-esque shambles, though.

Tokyo Sexwhale

It's the same bloke who refereed the Champions League final. Looks like he wanted to knock off early again.

weekender

"Not one player at Chelsea, one of the richest football clubs in the world, agreed to contribute any of their wages to the May Day For Nurses campaign, where footballers are asked to give a day's wages to hard-up Nurses. Of all the 556 Premiership players asked to help with the scheme, only 225 contributed."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/6715989.stm#finally

buttgammon

Sheffield United think they'll be reinstated to the Premiership when an arbitration panel will discuss the Carlos Tevez affair.

I think it would be down to the Premiership irespective of what the arbitration panel would be, though, so the chances are they will still go down and West Ham will stay up. Ultimately, Sheffield were relegated because they accumulated less points in the season than West Ham and because they lost to Wigan while West Ham were beating Manchester United - not because of Tevez. He did earn West Ham a fair few points, of course, but he had such a shaky start to the season anyway. I bet nobody would have said anything if he's have carried on unsuccessfully.

I've heard reports that there may be third party ownership involved in the Anderson transfer, too. I hope that's not true, because I was also under the impression that we would have bought Tevez himself if it wasn't for the legal minefield surrounding him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_utd/6716185.stm

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: weekender on June 03, 2007, 12:07:05 PM
"Not one player at Chelsea, one of the richest football clubs in the world, agreed to contribute any of their wages to the May Day For Nurses campaign, where footballers are asked to give a day's wages to hard-up Nurses. Of all the 556 Premiership players asked to help with the scheme, only 225 contributed."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/6715989.stm#finally

I saw the C4 trailer for that - Ryan Giggs appeared to be refusing to cough up because it's for English nurses and he is Welsh.

Doesn't stop him living in England, playing for an English club and taking money from (mostly) English fans.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

No, nothing of the sort. That has to do with the person running the campaign knowing nothing about football and she then asks Giggs about the upcoming England Euro 2008 qualifiers and he tells her that he plays for Wales not England.

rudi

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on June 03, 2007, 02:17:34 PM
No, nothing of the sort. That has to do with the person running the campaign knowing nothing about football and she then asks Giggs about the upcoming England Euro 2008 qualifiers and he tells her that he plays for Wales not England.

Indeed.

An arguably worthy cause, perhaps, but she really knows absolutely fuck-all about football or the footballers, yet expects them to care about her?

I find the whole deal a bit stupid, to be frank, and at least footballers are out there earning their money by doing something the rest of us pigs are incapable of. Why not line up those on inheritances and the royals et al and ask them to chip in instead?

QuoteHe did earn West Ham a fair few points, of course, but he had such a shaky start to the season anyway. I bet nobody would have said anything if he's have carried on unsuccessfully.

That's a bogus argument. If they'd gone down anyway then you couldn't have argued they'd profitted from cheating making any further sanctions pointless.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on June 03, 2007, 02:17:34 PM

Ah, fair enough then.  Has the programme already been on?

She mispronounces Carragher's name. Women ehh!?

rudi

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on June 03, 2007, 03:22:29 PM

No, but surely you've caught som eof the blizzard of publicity since it was actually made?

CHELSEA ARE TIGHT BASTARDS!

Well, they may or may not be - it's none of her business really. Maybe they disagree with her cause - I know a few in the medical profession that do (not that I necessarily agree with them).

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on June 03, 2007, 03:22:29 PM

I saw a little thing about on Football Focus a couple of months ago. If I recall correctly West Ham were the most generous team.

buttgammon

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Okay, well one of the lesser teams in the Premiership.

The Duck Man

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on June 03, 2007, 04:24:23 PM
Okay, well one of the lesser teams in the Premiership.
Watch your lip, boy.

We may have finished bottom, but ultimately isn't donating the most to the nurses just as good as winning the Premiership? I think so.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Heh, just pushing some buttons to see if there was any reaction.

Hobes

Going back to the Neil Lennon rumour, this picture has me a little worried...

Why should premiership footballers be forced into donating to this charity through the blackmail of their refusal being made public? What aload of shit. I think the amount they earn is obscene but its not their fault. What they give to charities is their business. Its like someone turning up at your door asking for a donation to Oxfam, but with a fucking camera crew behind them, I'd tell them to fuck right off.

ccbaxter

Nigel Reo-Coker was one of the leading light organisers of the campaign, though I remember reading he was the only West Ham player listed as having contributed - though whether this was primarily due to his team-mates' feelings about nurses, or his team-mates' feelings about Nigel Reo-Coker wasn't entirely clear.

While of course it would be so, so easy for so many Premiership footballers to at least make a gesture when challenged like this - hey, who here doesn't feel at least a little guiltily compelled to donate when the leaving-gift envelope does the rounds of the office, even if you don't really know the person? - it is also a bit of an easy way to metaphorically batten non-contributing rich-kid footballers around the head and generally "choh!" about their lack of generosity, while fuzzily feeling generally good towards nurses (as opposed to any other worthy and underpaid profession, of which there are many.) Then again, it would probably be a little more interesting if at least one of the players who refused the appeal when it came round would step forward and attempt an argument.

Well if one of them came out and said something like "I'm not going to donate money to this because I don't appreciate being publically, morally blackmailed into doing it by some stranger with no interest in football. How much I donate to charities is my business" then they would have my full support. Somehow I can't see any of them putting this argument across unfortunately.

rudi

Quote from: Regular Chicken on June 04, 2007, 12:27:14 AM
Well if one of them came out and said something like "I'm not going to donate money to this because I don't appreciate being publically, morally blackmailed into doing it by some stranger with no interest in football. How much I donate to charities is my business" then they would have my full support. Somehow I can't see any of them putting this argument across unfortunately.

Because all that would be heard is the "I'm not going to donate money to this" part before being pelted to death with old copies of The Sun...

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: ccbaxter on June 03, 2007, 11:15:31 PM
Nigel Reo-Coker was one of the leading light organisers of the campaign, though I remember reading he was the only West Ham player listed as having contributed - though whether this was primarily due to his team-mates' feelings about nurses, or his team-mates' feelings about Nigel Reo-Coker wasn't entirely clear.

According to this week's Radio Times 26 West Ham players contributed. The full tally is:

1. Fulham - 28
1. Watford - 28
3. Reading - 27
4. West Ham - 26
5. Blackburn - 23
5. Sheffield United - 23
7. Bolton - 22
8. Tottenham - 20
9. Liverpool - 12
9. Newcastle - 12
11. Charlton - 8
11. Everton - 8
13. Man City - 6
14. Arsenal - 3
15. Aston Villa - 2
15. Man U - 2 (Presumably Red Nev was one of those)
17. Portsmouth - 1
17. Wigan - 1
19. Chelsea - 0 (Although the club made a donation)
19. Middlesbrough - 0

Surely it would've been funnier if they'd have done this around Scottish clubs as well.

duckorange

chand

Quote from: buttgammon on June 03, 2007, 12:42:55 PMI've heard reports that there may be third party ownership involved in the Anderson transfer, too. I hope that's not true, because I was also under the impression that we would have bought Tevez himself if it wasn't for the legal minefield surrounding him.

From what I've read it seems he was co-owned by his agent at Porto but the deal now involves United buying him out of that. There's no way United and their army of lawyers would fall into that trap now, particularly since, as you mention, we were offered Tevez but didn't like the dubious nature of the deal one bit. I don't think United would have made a West Ham-style fuckup even a year ago, but for us to do it now after this very public fiasco would be completely unthinkable, so I don't think there's anything to worry about.