Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:47:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Learn how to mong in only seven days!

Started by Gandhi, March 31, 2004, 09:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koant

ok, here it is, a quick and dirty way of putting an image into another.

Suppose we want this kid to kayak on the Thames here.

Open the first picture (parliament.jpg) in Gimp.
Drag and drop the picture of the kid onto the image of the parliament.
You should have something like this:

You have two layers: one for the image of the parliament, another one (on top) for the kid. You can select which layer you want to work with by clicking on it in the layer box.

Make the kid layer active if it's not already. We want to move the picture a bit, towards the bottom right of the parliament picture for example.
For that, click on this icon ( or press 'm'). Then simply drag the image to where you want it to be.

Now we want to remove the background of the kid layer and extract just the kid and his kayak. For this, we're going to use a layer mask. Make sure the kid layer is active. Then right-click on the kid layer in the layer dialog and select "Add a layer mask". A window pops up, choose "initialise Layer Mask with White (full opacity)".

Now there is a small black and white picture next to the kid layer. It's the mask. Black means that the layer will be invisible, and white visible, and with some degrees of transparency between these two extremes.

Since we want to make the background vanish, we want to paint the area where the background is in black in the layer mask. (note that you can select whether you're working on the layer or its mask by clicking on the corresponding thumbnail).

There are many ways to go about this. A very rough and time-consuming one is to simply paint in the layer mask with the brush or the pencil. Another one is to make a selection around the kid and his(?) kayak and fill the inverse of the selection in black. Another way is to get the contour by playing with the contrast etc.
Try the first approach: Zoom around the kid (say 400%), to have a better view and select the pencil. Make sure that 1) you're working on the layer mask (there should be a frame around the thumbnail, if not, click on the thumbnail of the mask) and 2) that you're painting in black.
Start drawing on the background and you'll see it magically disappear. That's the good thing about a mask: you're not destroying the image, you're simply making some parts visible and others not. And since it's only a matter of painting in the mask, you can go back and fix errors or change your mind.

After painting the area of the background black (in the mask), you should get something like that:

Of course, that's very rough but you can improve things by, for example, blurring the layer mask a bit, so that the transition isn't so sharp.

Note I'm far from an expert and this could be done in probably much better ways, but that's a start. I put the xcf here if you get stuck.

steven583699

Half-an-hour's experimentational work later...

MY FIRST EVER MONG!

I am so proud of this feeble piece of photoshoppery, but even a journey of a 1000 miles starts with a single step.

It's a very basic attempt at monging Rosie and Jim's Houseboat onto some white water rapids. I wanted to pretty much follow your example, but do something slightly different.

I can't thank you enough Koant , it's hard to describe how pleased I am with that effort, taking into account how crap I am computers and how befuddled I was this morning, reading tutorials.

falafel

Aw, it's very cute and wee. OR they're enormous rapids. Y'know I used to love having a go at a good mong or two, but I just seem to be rather shit at it these days. That or the rose tinted spectacles have fallen off and I was never any good in the first place...

steven583699

When I say white-water rapids, what I actually meant was ocean.

I just wanted to maximise the contrast between Rosie and Jim and their setting, for small comedy effect.

You have to imagine they're in the middle of the Pacific.

I edited in a man, to try and show some scale. I'm not quite sure it worked...he does like suspiciously like a cartoon charcter.

Koant

B. Hell, that was quick! Well done you and happy to have been of some help.

weekender

Right, so I've added a layer or two, got rid of Barton's background and added a text layer.

Then I've tried to add another text layer, but I can't seem to resize it at all!

I AM A TWAT

Can anyone help me with what is surely a simple task?  See the highlighted bit?  I can't fucking resize it and it's really annoying me now.

Thank you for watching me beg like a dog, again.

weekender

Hit return on the text to go to a new line.  Amazing.

Thank you for realising what a cock I am.

alan nagsworth

Is there any way to exclude particular colours from an image in Photoshop? Seeing as you can do it in MS Paint, I'd have thought it would be possible. Some source images would be so much easier to manage if I could just chop out the white background... well, probably not, as the white blends into the edge of the object itself, which means that pasting it into another document would give it a grainy white outline, but still...

IS IT DOABLE?

Baxter

That depends on the nature of the image,

You can use the background eraser tool to remove the white background and it will fade to white.
You can use the select 'Colour Range...' option to get tighter control of the pixels you select.
You can use the rarely touched 'Extract' filter which I love with a passion only equal to my hatred of the Jews.
You can use the Darken blending mode to only show pixels that are darker than the underlying layer.
You can use the refine selection tool along with the black background preview to modify your selection more accurately.

If you had any example images it'd be easier to advise.

alan nagsworth

Hmmm, I'll give that stuff a go. S'pretty obvious, now that I look at your examples. If I have any issues I'll come back for a second wave of pestering. Thanks Baxter, you are an endless source of Photoshop help, be it delivery or use of the product itself.

Elliot

Allo,
I just created some text in Photoshop (bling bling).
I want to use it on flier Im making in Illustrator but when I copy it over it always has a black background.
How can I get just the text I created into Illustrator?

I set the original document to transparent but its still showing black.
Do I need to do something else before I copy it over ?

I tried to import the objects from Illustrator into photoshop and changed to a smart object but it looks crap, all diagonal lines are jagged etc.

Any tips?

cheers

tater pie

I am going to download GIMP but I don't know which link to use - I need to keep it to a fairly simple program as my computer is painfully slow and can't cope. 

tater pie

Lyndon

Does anyone remember that thing (site? maybe) that let you alter the text on a webpage, for example BBC News, just on your computer, so you could take a screenshot of the hilarious new image? It would be really useful for something I need. Thanks.

Zero Gravitas

javascript:document.body.contentEditable='true'; document.designMode='on'; void 0

Lyndon

That sounds positive... but I said it three times into the mirror and nothing happened. Could you give me that little extra push as to its application please?

Zero Gravitas

Just pasting it into the address-bar should work, if you're using firefox then the ubiquity extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9527

is probably easier, install the extension, restart firefox then the press Control-Space, you'll get a menu pop-up, type "edit-page" to start editing or "stop-editing-page" to stop.

If you're using IE then pasting:

javascript:document.body.contentEditable='true'; document.designMode='on'; void 0

into the address bar to start editing and then

javascript:document.body.contentEditable='false'; document.designMode='on'; void 0

to stop seems to work (even if it does mess up a menu on the bbc site).

Lyndon

Aww, kisses bro, the firefox add-on is brilliant.

Fawwaz

Could anyone tell me how to make smoke look realistic? If I cut out a cloud of smoke and stick it on there it looks too flat and solid whereas if I make it more transparent it just looks too fake and see-through, like a 2-D ghost.