Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:20:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Learn how to mong in only seven days!

Started by Gandhi, March 31, 2004, 09:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mook

That'll be it mate..just duplicate your background* layer just click on the layer and drag it onto the icon to the left of the trash can in the layers pallete, and then work from that.

Most tutorials I read suggest doing this any way, basically if you bugger 'owt up you still have the original at hand.

terminallyrelaxed

Thanks! I'm at home now and not at work and the pics etc are there, but I've left it open and locked the screen. I'm not at work tomorrow so I'll either just download the pics again and start again at home or I'll take up your advice on Thursday...

Was it wrong to add a colourless (so transparent I guess) layer to the picture before I started doing anything then, should I be working with masks instead? I don't really understand the difference so I suppose I should do some reading eh...

fanny splendid

I think what Mook was making a point of is, the 'Background' layer has limited editing features.

Just drag that layer to the icon to the left of the trash can to create a duplicate layer to work on.

With this new layer highlighted, click on the mask icon which is represented by the dark grey square with an interior white circle (second from the left).

You will now notice that the highlighted layer now has two little windows in it.

The one on the left is your normal layer view window, the one on the right shows the mask view window. Highlighting either of these will determine which mode you are working in: normal or mask.

In mask mode you can use the paint brush to 'erase' what you can see in that layer. Use the eraser to reveal what was once hidden. For intricate masking, I reduce the flow to 50% and the opacity to anything between 5% and 15% (of the paintbrush tool).

You can apply gradients, and other fills, to the mask window to create interesting blends.

Quickmask.
Highlight the layer you want to work on.
Press 'Q'
Paint over what you want to select.
Press 'Q'
The marching ants should appear.
Apple+C to copy the selection, Apple+V to paste the selection into a new layer.

terminallyrelaxed

I think this is just beyond me.
I've just followed your (Fanny's) instructions to the letter, and got no-where. I happily did Quickmask; highlighted the layer (I started from scratch so there was only one, 'background') hit q to go  to quickmask mode, painted over my desired selection, pressed Q again which brought me marching ants and took away the red 'paintbrush' colour that shows what I've painted over, apple+c or copy, but pasting that into a new canvas or just creating a new layer in the existing image give me nothing, zip, nada.
What you said made perfect sense, but I suppose if I still can't not fuck it up with an idiot's guide step by step walkthrough then maybe I'm just not cut out for monging.

sproggy

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Thanks mook but that didnae work - but I thin its because I appear to have only one layer after all:

I prefer to use the 'lasso' tool to select the part of the image you want.  Then select 'Edit' and 'copy'

If you want to paste this into a blank canvass then select 'File' and 'New' which will open a window enabling you to set the new canvass size, background colour etc.

Once the new canvass is opened click on it and paste your cut-out image into it.  You should then be able to tidy it up using the mask function if required.

This was the method I used to produce the Darth Vader iPod mong

terminallyrelaxed

Thanks sproglette - yeah thats the way I used to do it but this was described as an easier more accurate way of doing it, I hate the way with the lassoo tool you're screwed if you make a mistake but I'll guess I'll just stick to that as I can just about get my pea-brain around the concept.

fanny splendid

Pressing Apple+V will always paste into a new layer, apart from certain file types. For instance, if the image is in grayscale or bitmap mode, you can't add another layer. You must go to Image>Mode, and change it to either RGB or CMYK depending upon whether the final piece is for print or screen. Just check what file type the picture is.

sproggy

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Pressing Apple+V will always paste into a new layer, apart from certain file types. For instance, if the image is in grayscale or bitmap mode, you can't add another layer. You must go to Image>Mode, and change it to either RGB or CMYK depending upon whether the final piece is for print or screen. Just check what file type the picture is.

GIF's hold much fear of the Photoshop too.

terminallyrelaxed

Yay it works! I think I must have been very tired yesterday, well I knw I was, as today it all seemed incredibly easy - after painting over my selection, i clicked on the half-white/half-black circle 'create new fill or adjustment layer' and selected solid white, and bingo! My selection on a white background.

Thansk guys and thanks for bearing with me!

A TR mong thread - coming to a forum near you this weekend...

Smackhead Kangaroo

Hmm what the devil are people using ofr monging and creating their various questionable artpieces these days?
I'm sure there used to be a thread with this sort of arse on it, but it's been swilled away down the thread drain.

well? I'm rather bored these days and considering going back to doodling. and colouring in with fancy computer things. and perhaps monging if I become inspired enough, and blah. etc. you know

Ambient Sheep

Torty has a problem that I wondered if any of you could solve for her.

She's using Photoshop 7.01 as part of her college course, and as part of her final submissions she needs to make a list of everything she did to a picture to arrive at the finished result.

Unfortunately some of them are so old that she's now forgotten how she made them.  She can get the History list up on the screen, but there seems to be no way to export the text therein to a file.  She's been reduced to screen-grabbing the history list, printing it out, and then scanning it back in and OCRing it...which is getting very tedious as each picture's history list can be several pages long.

Anyone know how to get Photoshop 7.01 to export a picture's history list to a human-readable file?

Yes I realise that in theory she could just OCR the text from the screen-cap of the history without printing and scanning it, but the OCR software doesn't seem to be able to be divorced from the scanner software.

slim

I think if it's saved in the metadata, you should be able to get it from File/File Info, although I read somewhere that's for CS, so maybe it won't have it on 7.01?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "slim"I think if it's saved in the metadata, you should be able to get it from File/File Info, although I read somewhere that's for CS, so maybe it won't have it on 7.01?
Thanks, but there's no history in 7.01's File Info menu, only basics such as the picture size and colour depth.  Must be a CS-only thing.  :-(

I did ask before once but real life got in the way, anyway fuck all to do now so i thought i'd try and figure out how to do flash animation or game thingies, could someone point me in the direction of where to start? What software I need to use and how I use it, that sort of thing?

ccab

I hope you follow this interest up, Mundays - you'd be a God with Flash.

There are a few restricted variants which claim to be easier, but Flash itself isn't difficult to learn. The first glance at the workspace and panels may seem intimidating but don't be misled - it's a piece of piss. I'd recommend starting off with MX (6) or an earlier copy to get to grips with the animating engine - & forget about distractions like timeline effects which you can safely ignore till later.  

Flash's splash screen tutorials are excellent - Flash isn't complicated - you'll be up to speed in about 2 hours flat. It's really only a case of understanding the quirks of the vector drawing engine, symbols, frames and the timeline. Actionscript is where the complexity kicks in - it's similar to javascript and you'll need this for anything interactive, like games.

The terminology may be baffling at first - tweening is just the timesaving trick of letting flash draw intermediate frames. Onion skinning allows you to see adjacent frames transparently alongside the frame you're working on. Symbols are drawings or images added to the library to be reused or tweened. A keyframe is a frame where a change occurs, it's shown by a little black dot in the timeline - if the dot is empty, the content of that frame is empty.

One other point, if you want to add a cutout image - you have to import it. If the image has transparency - you need to convert it to a png in another programme to preserve that transparency - or cut it out again in flash. If you want to tween an imported jpg, gif or png, you need to convert it to a symbol in order to be tweened.

Enjoy.

hands cold, liver warm

@ssmaster

Font help!!

Does anyone know what the font is on this album, I need it for a mong I am doing.

Ta muchly

Flook

Came across this recently - its brilliant.

http://www.bluevertigo.com.ar/bluevertigo.htm

Massive library of links to free fonts, stock photos, illustrations, tatoshop brushes, sounds, etc etc

DocDaneeka

How do I animate my weeping gorrilla avatar?

fanny splendid

Open in ImageReady, or other image manipulation program.
Create a new layer, and draw on tear.
Add another layer, and draw tear in new position.
Repeat until desired amount of tear positions have been drawn, each on their own layer.

Turn the visibility of all the layers off (Click on the eyes next to the layer thumbnail). In ImageReady I then start adding frames to the animation window. Each frame contains the background layer (layer 1)  and one layer with a tear drawing in.

Frame 1 = Layer 1 and layer 2
Frame 2 = Layer 1 and layer 3 (note the visibilty of layer 2 is turned off)
Repeat until all frames have been produced.

Alter the speed at which the frames change. Frame one is visible for 1 second, frames 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 are visible for 0.1 second, and frame 8 is visible for 1 second. In the picture you'll notice a tiny arrow next to the frame speed. Clicking this produces a drop down menu allowing you to change that speed.

Export optimised image as an animated .gif.

terminallyrelaxed

Anyone got any handy links to free plugins for MACINTOSH Photoshop CS?

Elliot

Allo chaps, Im trying to make a thing for  the bar I work in.
As you can see from the picture Im failing a bit.
I want the  "we salute you"  text to look like the text on the left image ,   And also would like to make the '911' part look like is made of raised letters
Anyone care to give me a hinting helping hand?
I'm using PSP7 but cant seem to get the letter effects I want.
hope to get some hints  
ttfn.

mook

http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=160983

Following and adapting that tutorial will start you in the right direction I reckon.

Elliot

Cheers mook, nice one.
I'll give it a try.

Is there any easy way to get curved text  (salute)   , I had to make a circle and wrap the text but it seemed a long winded process!!

cheers again

mook

I'm not sure about PSP7, but in Photoshop7 you can use the warp feature, and in later versions you can set text to a path so getting the curve right is fairly easy. If PSP7 doesn't have these features you might just have to place each individual letter on a separate layer and then place and rotate them individually until they look ok; flatten them onto one layer and then apply the embossing and shadows.

sproggy

"911 we salute you"

Am I missing something here?

Unless you're referring to the cheesy boy-band of course.

Elliot

Quote from: "sproglette""911 we salute you"

Am I missing something here?

Unless you're referring to the cheesy boy-band of course.

Its the name of one of our clubs in Roppongi.   THey named it well before the Sept 11 shit.  Not sure of the meaning. Police or Porsche perhaps, never asked.