Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:41:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mouse turd on my dressing table, what shall I do?

Started by Deadman97, June 05, 2007, 11:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadman97

First thing I saw when I woke up this morning. Fucking hell. There was only one, but it was a mouse turd all the same. It's gone now so I can't put a pic up.

I've only had to deal with mice once before, in the kitchen of the last place I lived. Caught one in a traditional "snap the animal in half" trap but it only caught it's leg, and I found it where it had dragged the trap behind the washing machine. It was looking up at me all forlorn- I regret to say I drowned it, trap and all, in a bucketful of soapy water I had to hand.

But this in my bedroom, really close to where I sleep. I'm not about to put traps around my bedroom, I get up a lot in the night and I WILL walk into one. As for humane traps, well, dunno- I like my mousetraps lethal. What would YOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo?

spraticus

i've tried the humane traps - thought it would be easier, with 2 small children around, not having to explain a horrible squashed mouse away but the humane traps don't catch a sausage...

the tried and tested ones that snap meeces in half are the ones to go with

failing that you could try poison, napalm or polonium

Starlit

I had mice for about a year, and tried at least four kinds of traps. Initially I tried a non lethal one, and caught a mouse the next day. I walked two miles to release it in a field (it's supposed to be three miles, but I figured that mice can't accurately determine distances that great). And then nothing, just turds, rustling underneath cupboards and small faces peering out at me from down the side of the fridge. None of the other traps worked and so I finally resorted to poison. I wasn't keen, but I was desperate. Two days later I found a small corpse on the kitchen floor one morning, and I think another one expired underneath a cupboard, as there was an unpleasant smell for a week or so.
Ironically, when I had mice, my flat was far cleaner than it ever was or has been since. I live several stories up as well, so I'm surprised that they decided to live in my flat. What they were eating, I don't know.
So, I would recommend poison, but do be aware that they might die somewhere that you can't dispose of them.
If you want to use a trap, why not put it somewhere where you won't tread on it. I think that I heard somewhere that mice like to travel along walls, so right next to the skirting board is the best place to leave a trap.

Deadman97

Quote from: Starlit on June 05, 2007, 12:00:26 PM
Ironically, when I had mice, my flat was far cleaner than it ever was or has been since. I live several stories up as well
Well aye, my bedroom's upstairs which I thought was odd, and it's nice and clean with no food or anything around.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Deadman97

I'm allergic to those, and hate them more than any mouse.

Blumf

Had some mice at the start of the year, they would not go near any kind of trap. Poison did the trick however, the only downside being having to track them down after they die, luckily for us we managed to contain them to one room which made locating easier.

You can get bait (grain covered in green stuff) that you put in trays or some little plastic bait boxes with blobs of poison stuff in them, both work well (I think the mice prefer the boxes).

mook

We got rampaged by meeces when they started knocking down the church opposite my house. I'm far too squeamish to use one of those snap'em in half traps, and seeing as we've got pets poison was out of the question, so we bought a couple of the humane traps. We caught nothing the first couple of nights using cheese as bait, I was about to call in rent-o-kill when an old boy in my local told me to use chocolate as bait, fuck me, it work like a charm. We caught all the little bleeders over one weekend. So try that, a humane trap baited with fruit and nut.

Lady Beaner

Quote from: Deadman97 on June 05, 2007, 11:46:08 AM
First thing I saw when I woke up this morning. Fucking hell. There was only one, but it was a mouse turd all the same.

Are you sure it was a poo? How big are mouse poos anyway? No, not looking for pics, just intrigued!

Blumf

Oh, and once you do manage to get rid of them, don't forget the little buggers dribble piss constantly. You'll probably want to get the Vax out and clean down all surfaces.

There's also ultra-sound repellers that might help.

Deadman97

Quotean old boy in my local told me to use chocolate as bait, fuck me, it work like a charm
Well, I really want to lure it out, it mings me out a bit thinking of it doing it's mousy thing maybe a foot away from my head. Chocolate and a snap-trap I think, I'll just have to remember not to get my cock caught in it when I'm wandering about in the middle of the night.

Deadman97

Quote from: Lady Beaner on June 05, 2007, 12:23:49 PMHow big are mouse poos anyway?
Think of a mouse, then think of it's arse, then think of a little bit of poo coming out of it.

About that big.

Marvin

Yeah, chocolate is great bait and the humane traps will work, just make sure you actually take them a decent distance away from the house otherwise they'll be back within hours. On one occasion we saw a mouse in our kitchen so we closed the doors and kept him in and eventually caught him in a pint glass and carried him outside using the spider-catching glass-and-sheet-of-paper technique.

Don't use cheese, mice don't actually like cheese.

Also disinfect all surfaces as they will have pissed everywhere and also the disinfectant in itself repels the mice from returning.

Godzilla Bankrolls

We had a single mouse in our kitchen. It didn't attack our food, but shredded one of our washing-up sponges. As usual, it was left to me to sort it out as my housemates are lazy shites. Put down a great plastic reusable trap with a crumb of stale bread as bait and caught the bugger in less than an hour. I put the trap back down (after dropping the corpse into the bin) and developed a bloodlust - I kept checking the trap every hour or so for at least a week afterwards. No more have returned.

glitch

I've had mice recently and we've been using a combination of glue traps and snap traps (using cheese as bait!).

The score so far is: 4 by glue, 2 by snap.

Although the glue traps don't kill them, they just trap them. I've just been putting them in carrier bags and then in with the rest of the rubbish which isn't the nicest way to go. The last one was only half-caught by the trap too and was making a terrible racket, so we had to kill it.

It's surprising how long it can take for 5 people to decide on how to execute a mouse. The household vegetarian even suggested putting it in the oven and gassing it.

In the end, we forced the he's-got-Aspergers-and-so-probably-lacks-empathy housemate to kill it using a tazer.

Small Man Big Horse

About three years ago I had a rat in my bedsit, I was just dropping off to sleep when I heard the bastard thing crawling around near my head. Much screaming and jumping up and down on the bed took place, it was a huge bastard but at least it had the decency to run away and hide behind the fridge whilst I was panicking like a five year old. One sleepless night later and the next day I did the poison thing (and then blocked up the massive hole I found behind a cupboard) and that was that.

It took me a good couple of months to get back to sleeping normally every night though. Yeesh. Mice might be bad (I had a mouse incident when I was in my teens at my parents house) but finding a huge rat right next to your head is bloody horrible!

ccab

Take Marvin's advice and scrub every surface clean of the film of dried mousepiss - or you could end up with Weil's Disease and have to have your spleen removed.

Get an independent person round have a whiff of your house which will give you an idea of the size of the infestation - the stink will have come on too gradually for you to notice it and you'll already be accustomed to it. Remember they breed every few weeks. A tiny pile of shit on a worksurface suggests your mice have been there long enough to lose their fear - in which case you could have hundreds.

Lady Beaner

Personally I think that Deadster is an ungrateful bastard. At least the mouse didn't have the squits.

Catalogue Trousers

Pretend you're a giant and it's Cuban cigar to all your mates.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: mook on June 05, 2007, 12:16:57 PM
We got rampaged by meeces when they started knocking down the church opposite my house.
Wow, they must have been some big mice, etc etc

I too caught a mouse in a humane trap by using chocolate. Just two days after too.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

What's the point of a humane trap. They are vermin and so you should kill them. Get a python.

Dark Sky

How could any of you possibly even dream of hurting a poor wil' mousey?!

Looky!  It's so cute!

Just be glad that the mouse droppings were not found in your cupboard. I have an acquaintance who left an open tupperware dish of muesli in his cupboard for his breakfast every morning.  A mouse had been leaving its deposits in there daily, and my acquaintance had been consuming them.

And humane traps are the only way to go.  Mice are not vermin, they are just displaced animals.  If we were to judge animals as vermin on how inconvenient they are, then we would have placed irritating colleagues and friends into traps a long time ago.

Oscar

I've got problems with mice at the moment. We bought some humane traps, the kind that rock forward when the mouse runs in so that the little door shuts and the mouse is trapped. Unfortunately the mouse was too small and could just run in, steal the food and run out again chuckling. My flatmate caught one mouse with a cunning set up, a piece of biscuit underneath a bowl with one side lifted up by an empty cardboard packet, tied round with a bit of string, the other end of which was held by my flatmate. I tried to catch another mouse the next night, but it played all around the bowl and wouldn't go inside, it was extremely cute though and seemed to be living in my sock drawer. Reading up I discovered that sometimes mice learn tricks, so perhaps I have clever mice.
Anyway, then we adopted next door's cat and get him to stalk all around the house being enormous and smelly, but this morning there was mouse poo on the kitchen surfaces. We called our agency and the pest control people are coming on Friday, we had hopes that they would be humane, catch the mice and give them their own house, perhaps some therapy to deal with the move, but the company is called Pest Dead, so I suspect not. We've also squirrels in the roof and a bloody noisy cat that now likes to sit outside our house yowling.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Dark Sky on June 05, 2007, 04:39:11 PM
Looky!  It's so cute!

It's not so cute if you imagine that's a human spleen it's eating.

Blumf

Quote from: Sebastian Dangerfield on June 05, 2007, 04:40:20 PM
Mice are not vermin, they are just displaced animals.

They spread diseases and damage food stock, that's makes them vermin.

Deadman97

Quote from: Lady Beaner on June 05, 2007, 01:39:36 PM
Personally I think that Deadster is an ungrateful bastard.
I have no problem with that.

purlieu

Quote from: Deadman97 on June 05, 2007, 11:46:08 AMIt's gone now so I can't put a pic up.
I love the idea of "it's gone now", rather than "I've cleaned it away now".  I can picture you walking back into your room and it just having walked off.