Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:35:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Urban Exploration

Started by ozziechef, June 05, 2007, 09:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozziechef

Urban Exploration is all about gaining access to derelict and disused buildings and exploring. Every town and city has a boarded up building and urban explorers are at it all the time. From visiting disused mental asylums to exploring Chessington World of Adventures when it is empty.

Has anyone here ever done this? I've been reading some of the reports on http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/index.php and some of the photos are absolutely amazing. Preserved police stations with a newspaper from 1908, a Little Chef abandoned but still with the power on and a hospital with all beds fully made have all been discovered.

Some of the tips I've gained for those interested in trying are:

• A lot of these places are used by druggies and the homeless - beware
  • If you squeeze through holes, make sure you can get back
  • High Visibility Jackets are a pass into any building site

I'm heading on  my first explore soon, anyone had any experiences of their own?

CaledonianGonzo

A few of my mates are heavily into this and I've joined them on a couple of trips here and here.

It has its moments of interest, though I never see the day when I'll get too into it.

But if you're bored, there's nothing on tv and you're skint, it makes a nice daytrip away from the blueness.

Neville Chamberlain

While I've never gained access to disused buildings, I do enjoy wandering through the most dismal, joyless industrial estates and junkyards I can find. There's quite a few of them here in Stuttgart up round near the river.

Carlos Tevez

I sometime go into disused factories after a night out. Not that interesting really.

I'm not wearing some high visibility jacket like some pansy!

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: Carlos Tevez on June 06, 2007, 12:13:43 PM
I sometime go into disused factories after a night out. Not that interesting really.

I'm not wearing some high visibility jacket like some pansy!

Just your usual stilettos and fishnets eh?

Uncle TechTip

Er, I did it when I was a kid, all the time. But the fascination with the inside of things wore off after teenage. What next, a website dedicated to climbing all of Britain's trees?

Neville Chamberlain

Uncle TechTip

Any site with "Police Stop & Search FAQ" as a hot topic should be treated with caution.

But how do you know what the police can & can't do? "A handy way to remember this is GOWISLEY"

Please.

hencole

I occasionally go to warehouse parties does that count? Actually there are some crazy underground tunnels round London Bridge area that seem to stretch underground for quite a way at one New Years Eve bash I went to. Sadly they were pitch dark and the light from my mobile wasn't enough to stem the fear.

Fry

I have a severe and paralysing fear of rats, and vermin in general. So I don't see myself doing much of this, especially that london underground one - although that does remind me of a scene from Ghostbusters 2.