Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:11:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Moments Life Throws You A Bone

Started by Artemis, June 07, 2007, 03:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

Two things have happened to me recently that have bucked the usual trend of tedious disappointment and consistent sodomy I experience at the hands of any given company I have to interact with.

First of all, after a random email I fired off to Sainsburys in a moment of boredom, complaining about their 'Be Good To Yourself' chocolate puddings which were a bit substandard when I bought them a couple of weeks ago, I got an email back saying they were going to add 2,000 points to my Nectar card. A week later they hadn't arrived, so I phoned them and asked them where they were, and they apologised and added another 1,000 to the booty, adding them straight away. That's 3,000 points for nothing. It's a small pleasure I know, but a pleasure nonetheless.

Secondly, and most amazingly, I got a letter redirected from my previous address yesterday from United Utilities (the water board) telling me that a few months ago, they came around to read my meter and although they did so successfully, they failed to indicate properly to me whether or not they were coming in the morning or afternoon. Because of this, they failed to meet their own standards of service and so they are going to send me a cheque by way of compensation. My previous address was a flat for which the meter wasn't even in the property, but downstairs. It was irrelevant to me whether the guy came at the crack of dawn or at midnight - I wouldn't be disturbed either way, but apparently U.U. have spotted they didn't do things as right as they'd like to do them, and chose to tell me and pay me regardless of the fact that if they didn't, I'd never have known. I can't remember any company doing anything like this before - usually you have to fight to get someone to give you a decent phone manner, let alone accept corporate responsibility!

So life has thrown me a couple of bones. Nice. Ever had a bone thrown to you?

What is 3000 points in real terms? I don't know the system.

mook

SetToStun

A few years ago, just before Christmas, I got three letters from the tax man on the same day. Three brown envelopes all on the doormat together - I nearly shat myself (I can't fill in a simple tax return without thinking I've somehow landed myself in it). Anyway, I was in a hurry so I took the letters to work with me and opened them at my desk. Here's a summary of the content, in the order I opened them:

1: Dear Mr. STS, we've calculated that you've overpaid us by £30 this year. We'll deduct it from your tax code for next year.

2: Dear Mr. STS, actually, we see that over the last few years, you've overpaid by a total of £180 - sorry about that, we've stuck the cash in your bank account.

3: Dear Mr. STS, having reviewed your last ten years' tax returns, we note that you have never claimed any expenses or had any income other than your PAYE-covered salary. You really are the most tremendously boring person in the world. Do not darken our in-tray with a tax return ever again.

Fucking result. Checked my bank balance on-line and there was, indeed a direct deposit from HM Inland Revenue for £180. Just in time for Crimbo, too :-)

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: mook on June 07, 2007, 08:26:06 AM
15 quid according to the missus.
15 quid of non-transferable currency that you have to spend at Sainsbury's or other participating Nectar retailer. Cheers, guys

hencole

Quote from: mook on June 07, 2007, 08:26:06 AM
15 quid according to the missus.

and you consumer habits tracked for a couple of months.

purlieu

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on June 07, 2007, 10:08:28 AM
15 quid of non-transferable currency that you have to spend at Sainsbury's or other participating Nectar retailer. Cheers, guys
Yeah, that's pretty selfish of them isn't it?

I'd like 3,000 Nectar points.

Glebe

Artemis

Just got the cheque from U.U. through in the post today - £25, no less! Also got a book of 12 first class stamps from the Royal Mail due to them losing a recorded delivery item I sent.

What the hell is going on?!

MissInformed

OK, so we recently had broadband put in, with one of those there hub phones, which uses a second line.

Because it uses the internet, it doesn't have a usual area code, the allocated number begins 05. When I tried calling from my mobile (Orange), the mobile line refuses to even connect the call. Other mobiles in the house (02 and Vodafone) work perfectly.

So I rung Orange Customer Services, who claimed to have "updated my settings" and said the phone should work now.

It didn't.

I repeated the whole performance three times in total, to no avail. The next time i was passing the local Orange shop, I went in and explained the problem. At first, the Orange Trainer (grrrr) said he had no idea (I should have taken him at his word!) and that I should ring 'em up. I said I had, they hadn't helped and it was frustrating not being able to use my mobile to call my home phone.

"Ah right", he said. "That'll be why then - if mobiles can't ring your broadband phone".
"Not all mobiles, just mine; my boyfriend and daughter are with two different networks and they have no problems."

At which point he shrugged and said "move to another network then."  Incredulously, I enquired "I've been with Orange for nearly 9 years - your considered advice is 'go away and join another network'?" He confirmed it was and I left the shop.

Upon ringing Customer Services, mainly to complain about his attitude, but also to get the problem sorted, I was delighted to be given £15 credit on my bill.

The fault still isn't sorted, but I'm (kind of) £15 better off and I didn't even have to raise my voice.

mr. nice guy

I went into a bank a few years ago to pay in £140 in cash.

The cashier handed me the slip to sign, I checked the amount and immediately, trying to keep a straight face saw that the amount was £240. I signed the slip and went on my way thinking 'they'll pick that up sooner or later'.

But they never did. Cheers Natwest.

duckorange

Today: Twenty quid off a set of tyres because they were unexpectedly closed when I went along yesterday.

That's no way to run a business.

hencole

Quote from: MissInformed on June 07, 2007, 02:02:23 PM
Orange Customer Services

Their answer to everything is join another network! You try to point out you've been a loyal customer for x number of years and ask to speak to a manager. 'Sorry sir, we have a policy of customers not being allowed to speak to managers. Worst company ever.

Make me smile

Quote from: mr. nice guy on June 07, 2007, 02:21:00 PM
I went into a bank a few years ago to pay in £140 in cash.

The cashier handed me the slip to sign, I checked the amount and immediately, trying to keep a straight face saw that the amount was £240. I signed the slip and went on my way thinking 'they'll pick that up sooner or later'.

But they never did. Cheers Natwest.

Just to piss on your chips a little bit...that error will have caused a lot of problems for the cashier and I wouldn't be surprised if they got a severe bollocking for it (as they would not be able to prove they hadn't nicked the money.) It would have also caused a lot of stress for the people who have to balance everything at the end of the day.

Deadman97

I'd like to respond to this thread, but all life's ever done is fuck me up the arse since day fucking one.

mr. nice guy

Quote from: Make me smile on June 07, 2007, 03:21:24 PM
Just to piss on your chips a little bit...that error will have caused a lot of problems for the cashier and I wouldn't be surprised if they got a severe bollocking for it (as they would not be able to prove they hadn't nicked the money.) It would have also caused a lot of stress for the people who have to balance everything at the end of the day.

Double whammy then

Make me smile

Quote from: mr. nice guy on June 07, 2007, 04:31:40 PM

Double whammy then

Cashiers are people too, you know! Just slightly boring people.

Pepotamo1985

I pre-ordered Arrested Development Season 3 from Amazon.co.uk, and, when it still hadn't arrived by late May, I wrote to Amazon to complain. They apologised, and said they'd look into the problem.

Yesterday, I received six copies of the DVD, along with a copy of the Season 2 boxed set, and a cheque for £56.96. I'm as clueless you are. Having experienced supreme cuntishness from Amazon on numerous occasions, I shan't be returning them. I'll give away a couple as presents, and sell the rest in Berwick Street. Result.