Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:33:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cigarettes

Started by depressed beyond tablets, June 07, 2007, 03:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should cigarettes be sold only in packs of 20?

Yes
No
It doesn't matter
They should be available only in higher quantities
They should be available in lower quantities than ten packs

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: purlieuLiving in a predominantly Muslim area, it is perhaps of interest to note that Benson Gold are the only choice of the Muslim gentleman.  I have no idea why.

GOLD! To match the gilded tissue boxes on the rear parcel shelves of their clapped out minicab hatchbacks, of course. The Qu'uran tells them to!

SetToStun

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on June 11, 2007, 04:56:59 PM
GOLD! To match the gilded tissue boxes on the rear parcel shelves of their clapped out minicab hatchbacks, of course. The Qu'uran tells them to!

At the risk of being labelled terribly ignorant, I thought that was Sikhs and Hindus, rather than Muslims? At least it seems to be round my way.

SOTS

This is a tiny bit unrelated but it's going to be strange when they raise the age for buying tobacco. Because i'm currently seventeen, my dad often sends me across to my local shop to buy him a cigar. In October, I won't be allowed because i'm not old enough. Five months later, i'll be allowed again because i'll turn eighteen.

mook

Quote from: SOTS on June 11, 2007, 05:07:00 PM
my dad often sends me across to my local shop to buy him a cigar.

Fag enabler..

Well nearly. What do you mean no? Sod you then, be like that.

Uncle TechTip

I know that Mayfair are actually Tesco own brand. One of the poor people's brands is, anyway. In fact all the superstores have their own cigs. They just daren't put their company name on them.

Which brand was it that came in 30s - a really wide pack? Dunhills were in very wide packets and the box was a design classic too - now up there with Spangles and Space Hoppers.

Me, I'm still hunting down black JPS.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on June 11, 2007, 06:45:05 PM
I know that Mayfair are actually Tesco own brand. One of the poor people's brands is, anyway. In fact all the superstores have their own cigs. They just daren't put their company name on them.

You're thinking of Benington cigarettes, which me and my mate quickly realised were an anagram of Not Benign to hilarious effect. I can see why you confused them with Mayfair, though. The packet design was almost identical.

However, Tesco stopped doing them years ago and always claimed that they weren't an 'own-brand' product (even though Tesco was the only place you could get them). Other well-known 'not own-brand' cigarettes were King's Men at Co-op, Statesman at Sainsbury's and Balmoral at Asda. Londis used to have the imaginately-titled Londis cigarettes, but even for a smoker I valued my lungs far too much to ever ask for them.

extradave

Anyone smoke "Kruger" cigarettes in Tenerife?

They tasted okay to start, but after 15 cigs I didn't smoke for a fortnight.

They were only like 30p for a packet though ... so what am I to do?

Baxter

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on June 11, 2007, 06:45:05 PM
Which brand was it that came in 30s - a really wide pack? Dunhills were in very wide packets and the box was a design classic too - now up there with Spangles and Space Hoppers.

They still make them and it's my current brand you have to be careful and ask for "dunhill internationals". It's all academic I suppose because even though they kept a similar packet about two years ago they underwent a re-branding changing the symbol to a rounded square with a D in it and even had the cheek to change the mixture of tobaccos they used. By the taste of it they cut down severely on the amount of Turkish in them, Sobranie Black Russians is the only brand with an agreeable taste sadly very hard to find outside G Smith and sons.

Can we change this into a tobacco appreciation thread just to stick it to the man regarding the coming ban?

Pseudopath

Quote from: Baxter on June 11, 2007, 08:44:37 PM
Can we change this into a tobacco appreciation thread just to stick it to the man regarding the coming ban?

Hear hear! Does anyone else think cigarettes might become cool again once the ban's in place? Once non-smokers realise what pubs actually smell like in the absence of tobacco smoke, they'll all be rushing out to join us in the rain.

Baxter

I've just had horrible visions of how moody and annoyed everyone will be at the next meet without a constant supply of death sticks,

anyway has anyone tried Kretek clove cigarettes, I can't decide if I enjoy them or they're just crazily novel.

SetToStun

Quote from: Baxter on June 11, 2007, 09:03:56 PManyway has anyone tried Kretek clove cigarettes, I can't decide if I enjoy them or they're just crazily novel.

I've certainly tried clove cigarettes in the past (gosh, how zany am I?) and I can tell you with 100% confidence that no, you don't enjoy them. They really are just crazily novel.

Egyptian Feast

The worst cigarettes I ever tried were Spike cigarettes in Poland. Christ, they were disgusting. They were cheaper than anything else and came in packs of 30, so they were too tempting to pass up, but after having a few on a night out I felt ill and couldn't smoke anything for the rest of the night, which is very unusual for me.

Heh, love the tag love down there.  Thanks, whoever it was!

edit - thanks for the subsequent tag