Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:17:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Zed or Zee?

Started by boki, June 07, 2007, 01:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So how do you say it, then?

"Zed", old chap
50 (79.4%)
"Zee", dude
2 (3.2%)
Ban boki from polls
4 (6.3%)
Ban boki
7 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 63

boki

Quote from: Paranormalhandy on June 07, 2007, 07:16:38 PM
Is "J" pronounced "j-aye" anywhere else?

Janet Street-Porter's wonky gob.  That's put you off, in't it?

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: SetToStun on June 07, 2007, 04:36:52 PM
My former boss and several colleagues refer to the DMZs at work as "Dee Em Zees" which winds me up far more than it should. I mean, I'm a perfectly reasonable bloke and all, but that really grates my gonads. It's Zed, and that's all there is to it.

Do you work on or near the 38th parallel?

El Unicornio, mang

D-M-Zed sounds weird. I would opt for D-M-Z there

SetToStun

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on June 07, 2007, 11:00:13 PM
Do you work on or near the 38th parallel?

Nope - I'm strictly on the 51st. Well 51-and-a-half, to be fairly precise. Which is why the "zee" bit annoys me so much.

SetToStun

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 07, 2007, 11:21:17 PM
D-M-Zed sounds weird. I would opt for D-M-Z there

But you've been corrupted by living Over There, hence you're simply wrong. Sorry and all that, but it's a fact.

Pylon Man

I just say "hello". I'd rather sound like an uptight middle-class person than the Fonz.

Huzzie

Quote from: Muteki on June 07, 2007, 04:19:20 PM
Ha ha.

"... With a glorious swish of his sword and his lahhnce; and a glorious clank of his tin-plated... uh, pahhnce."

<Assembled kids look confused>

You could just pronounce it as it is supposed to be pronounced, you big posh southern pooftahs!

Huzzie

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 07, 2007, 10:44:01 PM
I say "hey" too. I stopped saying "alright?" a long time ago because I just got blank stares. I sometimes say hello but it makes me sound like some kind of old British gent, and "hi" just sounds like a plummy English girl. I think.

What about "Howay"?

You have an excuse for "hey" anyway but Chocks doesn't and so deserves a kicking!

Huzzie

Quote from: SetToStun on June 08, 2007, 09:48:51 AM
But you've been corrupted by living Over There, hence you're simply wrong. Sorry and all that, but it's a fact.

Well no, it's a name isn't it? You can't go changing peoples names just because "well, that's NOT how it's pronounced where I come from sir!"

Racist!

SetToStun

Quote from: Huzzie on June 08, 2007, 01:59:08 PM
Well no, it's a name isn't it? You can't go changing peoples names just because "well, that's NOT how it's pronounced where I come from sir!"

Racist!

I can only hope you always use the correct pronunciations for Paree, Bretagne, Ivlivs, Ivlian, etc. etc.

And go for your long weekends in Praha, of course.

Anglophonist!

Morrisfan82

Quote from: HuzzieYou could just pronounce it as it is supposed to be pronounced, you big posh southern pooftahs!

Hey, I do pronounce 'pants' with a hard 'a'! You, er, big Northern... fingy.

In fact it's wall-to-wall hard-A action round here, oh yes.

VegaLA

Quote from: Huzzie on June 08, 2007, 01:54:19 PM
you big posh southern pooftahs!

Good spelling on the pooftah. Not that i'm keeping score.

Uncle TechTip

'Hello' was an American construct anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Muteki on June 08, 2007, 02:05:53 PM
Hey, I do pronounce 'pants' with a hard 'a'! You, er, big Northern... fingy.

In fact it's wall-to-wall hard-A action round here, oh yes.

I think was referring to the pronunciation of 'lance'. You soft southern bi-sexual rape monster.

SOTS

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 07, 2007, 03:00:49 PM
It's pronounced zed.

The more pressing issue is the that of the letter H. It's pronounced aitch, not haich.

I've had a couple of teachers in the past constantly pronounce it "itch"

Baxter

It's the "haitch" thing that really makes me want to rip out vocal cords.

Bingo Fury

Quote from: chocky909 on June 07, 2007, 10:25:32 PM
Even though I hate it, I find I'm becoming more American in the way I speak. I quite often find myself pronouncing 'cigarettes' with the emphasis on CIGarettes rather than the way we usually say it with the emphasis on cigarETTEs.

One day a couple of years ago, I realised I was doing that too, and must have been saying it like that for a while without realising. One of those "When the fuck did that happen?" moments. "Zed" is still sacrosanct, though.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 07, 2007, 03:06:46 PM
Peter Greenaway wouldn't lie to us all, would he?

That said, he does seem to have problems spelling zoo properly...

Cor, I'd forgotten about that film.  A proper piece of self-indulgent toss, if I recall.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: trotsky assortment on June 09, 2007, 10:22:00 PM
Cor, I'd forgotten about that film.  A proper piece of self-indulgent toss, if I recall.

Great soundtrack though.  And the opening minute or so is a piece of cinematic brilliance.  Shame about the rest of it (although to be fair, I haven't seen it since first transmission).