Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:23:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I just oppressed the disabled

Started by Utter Shit, June 08, 2007, 01:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

So I'm in bed with a fairly bad hangover this morning, right. I was trying to sleep it off, but someone was downstairs fucking about on the piano, completely brainlessly banging away for ages. I tried to ignore it and sleep through it, but it went on and on.

Assuming it was my sister, I decided to run downstairs and put an end to it. While I'm running down the stairs I furiously scream "Will you fucking give it a rest, I'm trying to sleep!".

Got downstairs, and it was a piano tuner. And he was blind. Oops.

katzenjammer

Sorry mate but I just don't think that qualifies for oppressing the disabled.  Next time send him packing and insist on a sighted piano tuner in future, that should do the trick.

Morrisfan82

Next week: telling a man off for littering, except - whoops - he's black!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't think you kicked him in the head and called him a noisy spaz nearly loudly enough.

Utter Shit

Quote from: katzenjammer on June 08, 2007, 01:47:56 PM
Sorry mate but I just don't think that qualifies for oppressing the disabled.  Next time send him packing and insist on a sighted piano tuner in future, that should do the trick.

Hmm, good point. He's still here I think - I could do that thing where you do the wanker sign in front of him assuming he won't be able to see or work out what I'm doing, that might work in the short term?

VegaLA

Was he black, out of interest.
And slightly overweight ?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It would have been far more oppressive of you to be nice to him just because of his blindness.

Blumf

What kind of uncultured clot doesn't know the sound of a piano being tuned? Tsh... kids today.

Mr. Analytical

I'm amazed that they actually have blind piano tuners.  That's such a cliche!

I'm very disappointed with this thread.  I was hoping for tales of a young gent using his silver-topped cane to brutally thrash a mongoloid for getting mud on his new design shoes.

SetToStun

That wouldn't be oppressing the disabled, that would be instilling respect for one's betters into the lower orders, surely?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Blumf on June 08, 2007, 04:39:46 PM
What kind of uncultured clot doesn't know the sound of a piano being tuned? Tsh... kids today.

Yup, brings back some memories, that does.

Quote from: Mr. Analytical on June 08, 2007, 04:42:40 PM
I'm amazed that they actually have blind piano tuners.  That's such a cliche!

Well it's a truthful cliché for a couple of reasons: firstly, blind people often have a better sense of hearing than most of us, in part due to the brain reallocating the processing capacity; and secondly, it's one of the few employment options that blind people used to have.  I say "used to have" because I suspect that with the advent of PCs with screen readers, they have more options than they used to.

Having said that, my Dad's regular piano tuner was fully sighted.

Utter Shit

Lying O'Brien?! I swear this actually happened! It would be a pretty odd thing to lie about.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If a person lost the sight in one eye, in a gin house brawl for instance, would their hearing get better by half?

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 08, 2007, 04:48:11 PM
Well it's a truthful cliché for a couple of reasons: firstly, blind people often have a better sense of hearing than most of us, in part due to the brain reallocating the processing capacity; and secondly, it's one of the few employment options that blind people used to have.  I say "used to have" because I suspect that with the advent of PCs with screen readers, they have more options than they used to.

Well that and being the willing and fanatical servant of an elder god...

I know that it makes sense... it's just a real cliche/stereotype.  It's like a black pimp or a jewish pawnbroker.  Both of those have clear sociological justifications but they are cliches.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 08, 2007, 04:55:59 PM
If a person lost the sight in one eye, in a gin house brawl for instance, would their hearing get better by half?
I suppose logically their hearing would improve in the ear on the side of the damaged eye.

hoverdonkey

How did you get the accent on the 'e' of cliche Sheepy?

Pseudopath

Quote from: hoverdonkey on June 08, 2007, 07:43:33 PM
How did you get the accent on the 'e' of cliche Sheepy?

Ctrl + Alt + e, isn't it? Or Alt + 0233 on the numpad?

éééééé

Oui...c'est vrai!

Ambient Sheep

Or for old-schoolers like me, Alt + 130 on the number pad.  But whichever way you want to do it, really.

Dark Sky

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 08, 2007, 04:48:11 PMWell it's a truthful cliché for a couple of reasons: firstly, blind people often have a better sense of hearing than most of us, in part due to the brain reallocating the processing capacity

I heard that was an urban myth.

My hearing isn't very good though so maybe I heard wrong.  (Eye gourging may remedy this)

mcbpete

Quote from: Pseudopath on June 08, 2007, 07:49:22 PM
Ctrl + Alt + e, isn't it? Or Alt + 0233 on the numpad?

éééééé
Ctrl + Alt is also generally what the super mysterious Alt Gr button is for too. AltGr + vowels = acute accented vowels

Charles Charlie Charles

Quote from: Mr. Analytical on June 08, 2007, 04:42:40 PM
I'm very disappointed with this thread.  I was hoping for tales of a young gent using his silver-topped cane to brutally thrash a mongoloid for getting mud on his new design shoes.

Young gent, silver-topped cane, thrash a mongoloid...I like your style!

Bingo Fury

Quote from: Simon O'Brien on June 08, 2007, 01:41:55 PM
Got downstairs, and it was a piano tuner. And he was blind. Oops.

Wow, not THE blind piano tuner?! Don't live in the Edinburgh area, do you? On the other hand, there's no reason why there couldn't be dozens of blind piano tuners throughout the country. It's not as they've got to sight-read a score to do their job.