Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:21:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor things that make you like people less

Started by Utter Shit, June 09, 2007, 06:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Duck Man

Quote from: Suttonpubcrawl on June 12, 2007, 01:53:24 AM
Err, isn't that a slightly fucked up attitude to have towards money?
Well, depends what context. I'm not someone you goes out flashing the plastic, buying £1000s worth of clothes and ending up in the red. I've always got at least a couple of hundred in my bak account, and am fairly thrifty. So I can happily pretend to be not spending money at all when I do.

Obviously I wouldn't recommend it if I were the big shopper type.

Pylon Man

If I lived it every day as if it was my last, I'd spend all my time rocking backwards and forwards in a chair, clutching my knees, hyperventaliting and muttering "Oh fuck, I'm going to die today."

sparklewhore

people who send out quasi religous powerpoint presentation attachments to me full of the most sickening wisdom and pictures of sunsets and waterfalls, and then ask you to inflict it on another ten innocent buggers.  Especially if they are the mean, mean c*nt who made your worklife a misery for 3 years by being a terrible bully.

Aubrey Barkus

Re: talking on a mobile phone on buses.  I may be revealing more of my travel related mentalness here but don't other people just feel too self conscious?  (obviously not, idiot, as people do it frequently).  If I'm on the phone at a bus stop and the bus comes I don't get on.  And when I do get on I turn off the phone in case anyone rings.
Also if I don't have my ticket ready I don't get on, in case it takes me too long to get it out of my bag/pocket and people look at me, and think about tutting.
Sorry, but this is cheaper than therapy, plus I don't have to sit in that room with the woman with the quiff.

rudi

You truly are fucking mental, love.

If I didn't get on the bus that'd be another 30 min wait for the next bugger. I'd rather spend ten seconds looking for my ticket on the bus - the driver's not bothered.

Quote from: sick as a pike on June 13, 2007, 10:56:59 AM
Re: talking on a mobile phone on buses.  I may be revealing more of my travel related mentalness here but don't other people just feel too self conscious?  (obviously not, idiot, as people do it frequently).

I practically whisper into my phone if I have to. Or make unintelligible grunts.

I just don't understand how some people can sit in public and air their dirty laundry. I have enough trouble mentioning what need to be picked up from the shops.

I'm just a really private person.

23 Daves

Quote from: sparklewhore on June 13, 2007, 09:24:28 AM
people who send out quasi religous powerpoint presentation attachments to me full of the most sickening wisdom and pictures of sunsets and waterfalls, and then ask you to inflict it on another ten innocent buggers.  Especially if they are the mean, mean c*nt who made your worklife a misery for 3 years by being a terrible bully.

These are the chain emails that threaten you with "terrible fortune" if you don't forward them on to at least X amount of people, aren't they?  I had a female friend who kept on and on sending me these bloody things, and in the end I replied to her saying "I'm sorry, but you could you please keep me off your mailing list for this stuff?  They all insist that I forward them on to at least ten people or I'll suffer appalling luck.  You and I both know that I don't actually even have ten proper friends*, and on that basis alone this is very unfair and discriminatory.  Life's difficult enough as it is, and I don't see any reason why it should be made harder by Ghandi or whoever is putting a curse on me for being socially inadequate today".

She completely ignored me and carried on sending them, the cow.

This does link up with something more on-topic, though.  I'm afraid to say I do think a lot less of people if they're especially superstitious, or take horoscopes very seriously.  You're talking to someone and having a perfectly nice time, and you believe they're quite intelligent, then all of a sudden they say "Of course, as a Pisces the new year should be placed much more in my favour..."  Then you sigh, and realise that they're quite deluded.

(*Of course, I do have more than ten proper friends now.  But I possibly didn't at the time, being stuck in a post-graduation, casual employment, know-nobody-in-London funk).

Clinton Morgan

Quote from: Emergency Lalla Ward Ten on June 12, 2007, 11:51:15 PM
No, I think so-called 'negative' people are arguably motivated by a thirst for joy. They want things to be better.

Hmmm. What about negative people who say things like, " This country is a shitehole and the reason is because we are a nanny state who are letting in too many foreigners in. I mean, you can't say anything because of this bloody political correctness and this global warming is a load of bollocks concocted by do-gooders some are probably Jewish anyway. I mean, they moan but you must remember they were the rich ones whilst the Germans were very very poor. It's Blair's Britain, that's what it is, Blair's Britain! You may not like what I'm saying but I least I speak my mind. I'd get on television and say this but because I'm not the son and daughter of Keith Allen and Sheryl Osbourne I'd probably won't. Gypsies are moving into my village, I can't stand the thieving bastards. Probably the Irish in them, bloody pikeys, explains why all Scousers are burglars. Though if I said that the human rights brigade would be up in arms and I'd be thrown in jail with Jade Goody and Robert Kilroy-Silk. You can't say anything these days. They still haven't done anything about my bloody bins, what are they doing? I'll tell you what they're doing they're developing film from speed cameras and flogging the prints at the taxpayer's expense. Blair's Britain! I'm going to move to France and escape all these foreigners. We don't look after our own. I guarantee you if you go to a toll bridge it'll be some foreigner who can't speak a word of English. It's a conspiracy of the Israelis I tell you and I bet you they started 9/11 because they don't want us to like the Arabs. Bloody nimby do-gooders letting the asylum seekers in. You can say what you like about Christians but nothing about Muslims. They have bloody carte blanche. Send them back to Yurgoanistan or whatever it is called these days, I don't care about their human rights what about my dustbins? The Jews lived in palaces carved out in gold whilst the German's lived in muddy puddles don't you forget. It's all Blair's fault I say. The Welsh have free prescription too. What next? Children to adopt bisexual paedophile parents? Too many bloody Africans asking for our money. Put the pill in the soup! Put the pill in the soup! Also castrate those Africans who have A.I.D.S. You can't say anything these days because of political correctness. Why should I care about Keira Knightley? She's just a bitch. Probably related to people in the business just like Kate Winslet who is a bitch and I can say that because I am a woman. Walk down any street and there's a bloody mosque-cum-synagogue for homosexual paedophiles. Where's this global warming? I'm fucking freezing and besides there was no industrial revolution before the ice age. I'm going to France, at least they don't like foreigners." Are they motivated by a thirst for joy? Do they want things to be better? Or are some people never satisfied.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Emergency Lalla Ward Ten on June 12, 2007, 11:51:15 PM
No, I think so-called 'negative' people are arguably motivated by a thirst for joy. They want things to be better. They resent the idea that we should bloodymindedly 'find the good' in something or 'decide' not to be cynical.

I say 'they' - I do of course just mean me.

So-called 'positive' people are arguably just as squeamish of so-called 'negativity', of course. 'I don't mean to sound cynical, but...' - all that stuff.

It's interesting that you would choose to reply to such a post. I didn't have you in mind, in case you were wondering. The content of the post was discussing cynicism, and happened to contain the word negativity in, rather than the other way around.

El Unicornio, mang

On a bus-related note, I can't stand the people who will ring for their stop, then it stops and they go "Oh sorry, next one", even though the next stop is only 2 minutes walk away. Lazy cunts.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

1. Unnecessary rules.
2. Those who have no interest in questioning said unnecessary rules.

'Apparently there's a new rule in the office - we're not allowed to go to the toilet on Wednedays.'
'What? Why?!'
(Shrugs) 'It's a new rule.'

And yes, I can't understand myfellow humans' ease with public mobile-phone conversations either. Be more embarrassed, you bastards! I'm with sick as a pike - I never answer my phone if it goes off in a crowded place like a bus. I let it go to voicemail and call them back when I get home. God, I hate mobiles. Every conversation involves at least one party having to SHOUT stupidly.

El Unicornio, mang

I think that can apply to general talking though. I don't get how people can sit on public transport, or some other quiet place with lots of people, and talk really loudly to someone. I hate the idea of someone else hearing what I'm saying to a friend.

Artemis

Hearing somebody quoting from something I really like in a 'catchphrase-y' way, instantly devaluing the source of my prior enjoyment.

Anyone younger then 30 with really forthright political opinions. No no, you're too young. This is the part of your life you're supposed to be learning not correcting the rest of us.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Andrew Marr's Chronologically Dubious History of Modern Britain.

Artemis

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: Artemis on June 14, 2007, 12:29:38 AM
What's the problem with the chronology?

The 80s one was particularly bad: footage of Michael Heseltine in Liverpool in 1984, followed by 'Meanwhile, the nation watched Charles and Diana get married' (cue Prince Charming by Adam Ant).

Mister Six

Quote from: buttgammon on June 09, 2007, 06:24:37 PM
People who eat noisily should be sent to a fucking concentration camp. Bastards. Why does anyone feel the need to chomp so loudly on their food that I have to hear it? I know they're eating and I know they must bloody like the pigswill in front of them, and I don't need any audio cue to tell me that.

I'm with you on that one. I was on a business trip and forced to sit next to the head of a rather large company who, for reasons unknown, would move the chewed up food fragments to the middle of his mouth and then compress them into the roof of his mouth with his tongue, then draw them back down as his jaw opened. The resulting noise of food mush and air being sucked between the cavities above and below his tongue was so loud and so offputting I wanted to stab him in the face with my fork. But I would've been fired and arrested, so I sat there and endured it.

People who chew with their mouths open piss me off, too. Even if you've got a blocked nose, just hold your breath or something. I don't want to see or hear your food once it enters your fat gob.

Artemis

I know this is quite specific, but Liverpudlians who sit next to you while you're next to the window on a long haul flight and spend half the time leaning over you and referring to the ocean as the "floor". "Hey, look at the floor!!".

surreal

Quote from: Mister Six on June 14, 2007, 11:58:53 AM
I'm with you on that one. I was on a business trip and forced to sit next to the head of a rather large company who, for reasons unknown, would move the chewed up food fragments to the middle of his mouth and then compress them into the roof of his mouth with his tongue, then draw them back down as his jaw opened. The resulting noise of food mush and air being sucked between the cavities above and below his tongue was so loud and so offputting I wanted to stab him in the face with my fork. But I would've been fired and arrested, so I sat there and endured it.

That's very specific - were you sitting there studying him?

Sheldon Finklestein

Quote from: Artemis on June 13, 2007, 11:54:28 PM
Anyone younger then 30 with really forthright political opinions. No no, you're too young. This is the part of your life you're supposed to be learning not correcting the rest of us.
Have to disagree with you there! Half of the people at my school couldn't name the PM and the other half don't think it's important. Surely a bit of youthful political stridency is a better alternative to ignorance and apathy?

Personally, I can't bear people who, when you hold the door open for them, make a point of pushing it a bit further open, when there was absolutely enough room for them to get through already. "No, even if you are one of the few surviving gentlemen, I doubt your competence to maintain the openness of a door. Better safe than sorry!"

mister_enmity

People who raise their voice towards people they are arguing with, as if the increased volume of their voice would diminish the other person's argument.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAnyone younger then 30 with really forthright political opinions. No no, you're too young. This is the part of your life you're supposed to be learning not correcting the rest of us.

Well government and local councils are mainly comprised of white men aged between 30-60, so it's not as if youngsters (or rather adults aged 18-30) have a disproportionately large say in political affairs.

The disadvantage of youth in speaking about political matters I find is that it's hard to contextualise events you were too young to remember. For instance, the miners strike and the 3 day week are placed alongside to foot-and-mouth and the fuel crisis in the Blair government on political programmes. It's hard to understand the importance of each event. My parents insist the first two were wildly more significant yet the media make out the latter events were just as significant.
However, I don't think it takes until you're 30 to understand how the political process operates. If you take an almost daily interest in political affairs as I do, you become used to the ongoings. I always find young ardently left-wing or right-wingers hardest to value their views, because they're often clearly the product of their upbringing, overly enticed by the idea of activism belonging to a group, and not got a fucking clue about the economy, or the concept of social equality.
The ideal position to take as a young person interested in politics would to start by being moderate and open-minded and then develop views one way or the other through your experiences rather than nailing your flag to a mast in a rather naive way.

Captain Crunch

I'm going for posture, just on a whim.  So that includes:

- Teenage girls who slouch.  So that's all of them I suppose.
- Tall men who stoop.
- Grown women who ruin a pair of killer heels by wobbling about in them like a speeded-up version of Mrs Overall.
- Business types who think lugging a laptop around makes them look important when it only serves to make them look damn foolish.  Shoulder injury or mugging?  How about both!
- People out running in that screamingly amateur 'forehead forward' Bez way.

I'll stop there because I'm sure you get the point by now.

Jemble Fred

Actually, it's not especially minor, but... people who stick their Vs, or especially their middle fingers, up, in photographs. Why the hell do they do it? Yeah, well done, you've just made sure that you're captured forever more looking like THE COMPLETE AND TOTAL MINDLESS CUNT YOU ARE.

chand

Especially when bands do it. If you were the first band to do it decades ago then fair enough, but you occasionally still see bands doing the finger in photos, presumably to shock the 9 people in Britain who are still offended by it.

buttgammon

Presumably it's Towers of London and their ilk that do this thinking they are all modern day versions of Sid Vicious. If they are then I'd like to see them syringe all of their HIV positive heroin-addled blood up and squirt it all over the ceiling in the flat they are about to leave.

Or is it an urban myth that Sid Vicious did that?

Artemis

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 15, 2007, 02:24:41 PM
The ideal position to take as a young person interested in politics would to start by being moderate and open-minded and then develop views one way or the other through your experiences rather than nailing your flag to a mast in a rather naive way.

Well yes, that was what I was getting at... it may not take until 30 to understand how the political process works but it takes a certain set of experiences (usually although not exclusively formed through age) to be entitled to an opinion on many political points of view. Most low-brow, 'picked it up off the Sun editorial' political opinion is held by people not entitled to it; to be entitled to an opinion takes possession and understanding of the facts, and a reasoned, considered response to them. Younger people will nearly always have quite bold, forthright opinions that aren't worth a damn because they're born out of some vague principle they inherited from mummy and daddy and little if any reasoned reflection has gone into it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Though they are the biggest group of people in terms of activism, even greater than the retired, so they're handy to have on your side.