Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:19:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor things that make you like people less

Started by Utter Shit, June 09, 2007, 06:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudi

What the hell is up with you people?

You'll be far more annoyed when you can't pay your mortgage, or you're made redundant, or your dad dies of cancer.

People who talk in cinemas??

For fuck's sake.

chocky909

Minor things that make you like people less

Artemis

People who miss the point of threads that are quite easy to understand and post mildly self-righteous messages to condemn those who contribute.

;-)

rudi

Mm, I guess, but the amount of bile vs the examples cited is mind-boggling.

Don't you just think "meh - that could be irritating if I had no sense of perspective"?

"HE TOLD ME HOW TO USE THE PIN MACHINE, THE PRICK!!!"

He's on £5.50 and hour and barely even notices you're a different person to the last punter whose produce he slid over the scanner. Get a grip.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Here's another:

CUSTOMER: Can I use one of the pool tables, please?

ME: Sure - it's five pound deposit for the cues though.

CUSTOMER: Right. So I get it back?

ME: Do you want me to explain the point of a monetary deposit to you?

rudi

(I can't believe I'm still persevering - I realise I'm alone here)

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on June 11, 2007, 01:45:41 AM
Here's another:

CUSTOMER: Can I use one of the pool tables, please?

ME: Sure - it's five pound deposit for the cues though.

CUSTOMER: Right. So I get it back?

ME: Do you want me to explain the point of a monetary deposit to you?

Rather than just replying "Mm" it actaully makes you like them less? If it was the same person repeatedly I could understand, but these people are probably just making sure. Of course it's obvious to you - you work there, but they're just people, trying to get by, who don't want a confrontation later when they try to get their money back. Is it obvious to you and I? Well yes; but then not everyone is as devastatingly intelligent as us, dear...

Godzilla Bankrolls

No, I don't like them *less*. It's just a little thing that people do that I find a bit stupid. And often I do say the "would you like me to explain" thing in a jocular fashion, we laugh and the cheeky barman gets no tip.

What genuinely makes me think less of people is when they seem to pretend they're less clever than they actually are, by misinterpreting things in order to try and score points/appear superior.

Oh, and if you're old enough to drink on licensed premises, you should be old enough to understand the whole 'deposit' concept.

Twibbie

Quote from: rudiI can't believe I'm still persevering - I realise I'm alone here
I think what you're saying is right - a lot of people seem to be talking about general inter-personal irritations rather than things which, however irrational, actually make you think, "I am encountering a member of the species inferior in every respect".
Quote from: Godzilla BankrollsNo, I don't like them *less*. It's just a little thing that people do that I find a bit stupid. And often I do say the "would you like me to explain" thing in a jocular fashion, we laugh and the cheeky barman gets no tip.

What genuinely makes me think less of people is when they seem to pretend they're less clever than they actually are, by misinterpreting things in order to try and score points/appear superior.
Fair enough, but as you admit, you don't like these people less, which I think is what this thread is about as opposed to general irritations.

Artemis

I'm sure none of us are actually making judgment calls on the value of these people, and when I say I like them less because, for example, they've asked me to put my PIN number in despite the machine not being ready to accept it and leaving me standing there for a two second period of appearing to be spectacularly thick (which they know full well, and is why they asked me to do it, and they're obviously enjoying it), they do irritate me.

I don't like them less because I don't know them so I didn't like them to begin with, but I'll reserve the right to have my perception of someone altered negatively for whatever reason I see fit, however neurotic it may appear to you.

I think the thread would be more accurately titled: "minor things people do or say that irritate you"

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: Twibbie on June 11, 2007, 01:59:25 AM
I think what you're saying is right - a lot of people seem to be talking about general inter-personal irritations rather than things which, however irrational, actually make you think, "I am encountering a member of the species inferior in every respect".Fair enough, but as you admit, you don't like these people less, which I think is what this thread is about as opposed to general irritations.

Well, the first post really seems to be about general irritations. And it evolved into general irritations, with people being generally irritated about the thread itself.

Twibbie

Quote from: ArtemisI'm sure none of us are actually making judgment calls on the value of these people
It's not worth getting into an argument about, but that's what I thought the point of the thread was - making judgement calls on the value of people based on pure irrationalities.
Quote from: Godzilla BankrollsWell, the first post really seems to be about general irritations. And it evolved into general irritations, with people being generally irritated about the thread itself.
I thought it was about genuinely seeing people in a lesser light, having your perception of them ruined a little, by silly pointless things - but most people seem to be reading it the same way as you, so I'm probably wrong on that call.

dredd

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on June 10, 2007, 03:20:03 PM
Over-politeness at bus stops:

"After you".  "No, you were here first mate, after you".  "No, after you", etc.  One of you just get on, for God's sake!  If I were the driver I'd just set off, leaving them there. 

Yeah, the impenetrable world of bus stop etiquette:
  1. People who stand in queues at bus stops, leading you to believe that they are waiting to get onto the bus, when in actual fact they aren't, thus causing you to miss the bus.
  2. Bus drivers who close the doors and drive away as you are about to step aboard (especially after no.1).

The solution here is to simply charge the doors like a lunatic as soon as they open, elbows flailing. Also: screeching.

rudi

QuoteWhat genuinely makes me think less of people is when they seem to pretend they're less clever than they actually are, by misinterpreting things in order to try and score points/appear superior.

Well, Twibble got there first, and put it far more neatly than I could have managed.

I wasn't misinterpreting - I merely read the thread title and laterally referred that to the posts therein.

Sorry if that was too literal for you, but it's no point saying "well - OBVIOUSLY I didn't like them "less"" when that's in the bloody title, surely?

It's lucky The Yellow Pages is actually full of yellow pages - I'd be fucking homicidal otherwise.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Maybe you could have read the very first sentence of this thread, and then all the subsequent ones.

rudi

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on June 11, 2007, 02:18:02 AM
Maybe you could have read the very first sentence of this thread, and then all the subsequent ones.

To which I'd reply:

"You get angry when people stand aside for others to get on the bus? Are you in that much of a hurry? Have you heard of taxis?"

and so on.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Yup - they do get irrationally bothered by these things somehow. Humans - complex or what?

rudi

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on June 11, 2007, 02:22:47 AM
Yup - they do get irrationally bothered by these things somehow. Humans - complex or what?

You say complex, I say keep it to yourself - it's nothing to be proud of and is one step away from writing to the Daily Mail, you intolerant children.

Superior? Easy accusation. I don't claim to be better than the poor schmucks just trying to get by without your scorn.

Sorry about the 'only child syndrome' jibe but I meet a lot of arrogant people who can't see that others pursuing their own needs will occasionally inconvenience them. Many turn out to be Little Emperors.

Also, Rudi, sorry for the tag, just kidding.

rudi

Naturally enough, I found your post (not the most recent, obv) most entertaining and mostly pretty spot on, so your subsequent tag has been the equivalent of a sneaky kidney punch; not fatal, but unexpected and all the more painful and distressing. I'll leave it to you to decide if it's worth removing.

The rest of you are cunts (this is, I wearily point out) a joke.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: rudi on June 11, 2007, 02:25:50 AM
You say complex, I say keep it to yourself - it's nothing to be proud of and is one step away from writing to the Daily Mail, you intolerant children.

Superior? Easy accusation. I don't claim to be better than the poor schmucks just trying to get by without your scorn.

We don't pour scorn on them openly. We do keep it to ourselves. It just so happens that this a thread where we are granted amnesty, and can share our minor irritations with each other. Hey, guess what - I do some of the irritating things that people have described here. I'm not offended that they're annoyed, though. They are, after all, minor and irrational.

rudi

Yet you appear to be offended that I find flying your flags of intolerance intriguing (or at least worth highlighting)?

23 Daves

Quote from: Artemis on June 11, 2007, 01:27:45 AMPeople who get up the second a movie has finished at the cinema. Like they just have to get up the nano-second the first credit appears because their lives are so busy and important they have things they need to rush and do.

Ha!  I watched the Scott Walker film "30 Century Man" in the cinema a couple of weekends ago, and because most people wanted to listen to the song over the end credits, only one person got up to go when they began to roll.  The cinema staff seemed to be hinting that everyone might like to leave, and were holding the doors open and making noise, but nobody would move.  It's the only time I've ever seen that happen.  Mind you, in fairness the place wasn't exactly packed to begin with.

If there's any particular person I think less of in the cinema, it's the kind of ignorant dick who turns up two seconds just before the film is about to begin and then insists on climbing all over you to get to their favoured seat in the middle of the row.  Just fuck off and take the nearest available chair and be more punctual next time. 

neveragain

Given the new 'Things'-ish state of this thread, I will agree with the vitriol already exhibited towards those who work in the service industry but for some reason don't wish to serve and extend this classification of disgust to include everybody who works in any capacity for the railway system. Well, alright, just the men. I've never seen a woman misbehave on a train but the men involved are cocky beyond belief, often showing no wish at all to help unless they can chat you up in the process (which, for me personally, would take some doing).

SetToStun

Quote from: Artemis on June 11, 2007, 01:27:45 AMPeople who get up the second a movie has finished at the cinema. Like they just have to get up the nano-second the first credit appears because their lives are so busy and important they have things they need to rush and do.

Conversely, people who think the credits and all that crap are important. I've seen what I came to see, I don't care who made the fucking wigs. I'm off home now. [winkeysmileyface]

You see, most of the complaints in this thread are just people's opinions dressed up as righteous anger. OK, common courtesy seems less than common right now, but seriously, do all of you actually get properly irate with all this stuff? Why?

fanny splendid

Artemis

Quote from: SetToStun on June 11, 2007, 11:53:37 AM
seriously, do all of you actually get properly irate with all this stuff? Why?

No - what gives you cause to believe that? Given that this is a thread where people share the minor things that irritate them, the fact that there are lots of things that irritate people being posted one after another shouldn't be a surprise to you. Nor should it give you a cause to believe that any of this is all consuming - the clue is in the title.

Waking Life

You can't really control what irritates you and what doesn't though, it's just one of those things and I'm sure no one is going to be apologising for that.  If people think some of things here are silly, then that's fine.  Everyone gets annoyed by different things and I don't see what's wrong about comparing some of them.  It's fairly inane and it's not as if anyone is going to start a hate campaign based on these annoyances.

chand

Quote from: SetToStun on June 11, 2007, 11:53:37 AM
Conversely, people who think the credits and all that crap are important. I've seen what I came to see, I don't care who made the fucking wigs. I'm off home now. [winkeysmileyface]

Besides, these people might be going straight home to stare at the credits on IMDB and take them in more fully.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteOh, and if you're old enough to drink on licensed premises, you should be old enough to understand the whole 'deposit' concept

Yes, and also old enough not to get drunk, get into fights and be sick everywhere, but age is no reliable indicator of intelligence.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 11, 2007, 01:42:30 PM
Yes, and also old enough not to get drunk, get into fights and be sick everywhere, but age is no reliable indicator of intelligence.

Mmmm. Although if pubs are doing what they should be in order to keep their licences and not have fines coming out their cask pumps, they shouldn't be serving drunk people and should be quick to deal with any potential outbursts.