Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:14:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Death of the Internet?

Started by Pinball, June 10, 2007, 02:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccab

I agree, glitch. A generation has grown up with the habit of downloading films & music and this can't be stopped now. And why should it? The music industry in particular has been ripping off consumers for years, I find it very difficult to feel any sympathy for it now it has to undergo a complete reversal of its fortunes - or for the musicians and artists affected. More people are listening to your work? boohoo - what rotters!

I think everyone should copy music on principle.

I don't agree torrent or other p2p sites will be driven underground. I think they'll be as busy & visible as ever. Torrentspy is one site - & only vulnerable because it once operated from the USA.

glitch

Quote from: ccab on June 11, 2007, 05:27:11 PM
I don't agree torrent or other p2p sites will be driven underground. I think they'll be as busy & visible as ever. Torrentspy is one site - & only vulnerable because it once operated from the USA.

Yes, but I've seen sites come and go (remember when suprnova was the cream of the crop?) and the larger sites will constantly be taken down and the remainder vye for their turn in the spotlight until they get DMCAed. It's been like this in the warez scene before torrents and even mp3s came about and it will stay this way until something forces a massive change. Is this current bout of legislation and litigation going to spark that change? Who knows, it might be time - P2P networks came about only a few years ago and rather quickly changed the face of the warez scene, killing off the established methods of 0-day and ratio FTPs, as well as the voting networks and "a copy of Photoshop 5 split over 8 Geocities sites" tactic, almost instantly.

Smaller, community-based sites have already been driven underground. They keep their "integrity" (properly tagged releases, no malware, high quality rips, requests etc.) and keep on going simply because they're not the high-traffic sites everyone elses uses and so slip completely under the radar. It's for this very reason that services like Direct Connect and IRC channels still thrive, even though there are more efficient means of distribution.

Ironically, I get much higher transfer rates from smaller trackers than I do huge public ones - 800 kb/s compared to half that if I'm lucky.

P K Duck

My favourite page on torrents: the legal threats page of piratebay.org

The White Stripes/Websherif one is very funny, and the level-headed response from Andrew Rabbitt meant that if I was ever inclined to torrent his stuff, I wouldn't do so ever again.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The carefree response to these cockwaving power-enforcers is extremely amusing.

QuoteHello and thank you for contacting us. We have shut down the website in
question.

Oh wait, just kidding. We haven't, since the site in question is fully
legal. Unlike certain other countries, such as the one you're in, we have
sane copyright laws here. But we also have polar bears roaming the
streets and attacking people :-(.
Awesome.

Pinball

Nice :-)

I agree that we will be able to bypass the censorship and anonymise etc., but it does frustrate me when the 'free world' seems to be going all Chinese dictatorship on our ass.

Hank_Kingsley

Quote from: P K Duck on June 12, 2007, 03:28:38 PM
My favourite page on torrents: the legal threats page of piratebay.org

The White Stripes/Websherif one is very funny, and the level-headed response from Andrew Rabbitt meant that if I was ever inclined to torrent his stuff, I wouldn't do so ever again.

I wouldn't be tempted either, on further investigation he seems to run a furry site.

Sicko.