Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:18:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rising Prices

Started by Artemis, June 10, 2007, 11:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bilko

Quote from: Artemis on June 10, 2007, 11:38:53 PM
A mega rider weekly bus ticket around Manchester now costs £9.50!
Thats nowt a Goldrider ticket in my area costs £75 for 4 weeks.  Bus price rises really fuck me off.  You pay more money for the exact same service every cunting year.  Its always put down to 'inflation', bollocks.  The rate of inflation is never the same percentage as the increase in prices.  It all goes on the cunting miserable spazzers that drive the buses.  Too fucking thick to ever get a decent education, sitting at the back of the class, cunts. 

purlieu

One of the definite upsides of living in a student-ish area is the beer prices.  If I'm in a pub in town I'll be ok to pay maybe £2.70 for a pint of semi-interesting lager (a Heineken rather than a Carling, for example), but in general I'm used to my prices being around the £2.20 mark, which I think is fairly reasonable.

I remember the day Dairy Milks shot up from 32p to 45p.  Nothing between, just from normal chocolate bar price to ridiculous.  Mars have kept their prices reasonable, thank God.

Artemis

Why have Munchies always been a bit more expensive then all the rest? I've never quite understood that.

phes

they're stylish, silly. and the mint ones are elegant.

very civilised

Pseudopath

Plus they make you spend three months wondering where you remember that biscuit taste from.

It's from Iced Gems, by the way.

Artemis

In terms of prices that are just fucking stupid, how about train fares?! Sometimes they're crazy expensive, but other times, if you play around on thetrainline.com long enough, you can find insanely cheap prices. I've found that when I'm coming back to Manchester from Somerset, if I choose to go through London instead of opting for via Newport which is the default journey they always bring up, I get my tickets for under a tenner instead of over forty quid, and it's quicker!

phucough

Six years ago I burst out laughing because I was told that a half litre bottle of Coke cost 99p in a shop in a train station.

Now in the garage near where I live, a can costs 93p! In fact, they've stopped price marking it to con people.

Artemis

I'm always pissed off by how WH Smith rip people off at train stations. The other week I was charged 65p for a packet of Maltesers.

Suttonpubcrawl

I almost never pay more than £2.50 for a pint, and I consider £2.50 a bit expensive. There are quite a lot of pubs in London, even central London, that sell beer in the £1.70-£2.50 price range. Some of them are even nice!

alexl

Quote from: Artemis on June 11, 2007, 11:42:28 PM
I'm always pissed off by how WH Smith rip people off at train stations. The other week I was charged 65p for a packet of Maltesers.

They always raise prices in the Train Stations - I think the Burger Kings in some stations are more expensive than high street ones as well.  I think WH Smith sometimes do a 3 bars for £1.70(?) though - still expensive.

SOTS

Quote from: Dark Sky on June 11, 2007, 05:12:44 PM
The other month I popped into a little newsagents in Nottingham to buy a can of Tango and then had a brief argument with the shopkeeper about its price of 70p.

SEVENTY PENCE FOR A CAN?!?!

Cans cost forty pence, or maybe fifty pence from a machine.  Seventy pence?! Yargh!!!

It's mostly drinks I notice as well now... ten years ago they sold cans for about 50p and never more, now it's about 70-80p. Bottles are even worse, they were about 80p and not it's not surprising if they are as much as £1.20 for a 500ml bottle.

SetToStun

Talking about train fares, several years ago a former colleague had to book a ticket from London to Birmingham, leaving the next day before 08:00. He 'phoned Virgin (I think it was them, anyway) and was quoted over £130 for the day return. He couldn't believe it, and said as much. The nice lady at the other end of the 'phone said "well, I'm not supposed to tell you about other prices, but if you were to, say, ask me about first class fares for the same train..." So he did. And she said "certainly sir - that would be £39.99"

Apparently, the terms of their franchise meant they had to charge below a certain amount for the average ticket price for the journey, so they slashed first class fares as hardly anyone ever asked about them and then shafted all the commuters and business types.

Garam

Minimum of 40p to use a payphone now. Probably because noone uses them anymore.

explodingvinyl

All you lovely Manchester types can still get a cheap round in Sinclairs. One pint of lager, one of bitter, £3.65 or something stupid. It's wonderful and yet dangerous.

Umm, WH Smith? The last time I went there to buy a bottle of water it was about £3.

edi: oops, WH Smith has been covered already. 

Still Not George

The most wonderful thing about living in Aberystwyth is being able to get a 5-man round in with a tenner, and get change. If you're in the right pub, of course. If you're in a "middle-class student pricks with fucking annoying haircuts" pub, expect 3 quid+, same as everywhere else - and then glass the fuck out of one of them as revenge.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Garam on June 25, 2007, 04:16:48 AM
Minimum of 40p to use a payphone now. Probably because noone uses them anymore.

That's officially. They haven't got around to changing them all yet. Plus on the upside, once you put the money in you can speak for half an hour or something stupid, which almost makes it worth it.