Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:20:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I want to get into .... But I don't know where to start

Started by Al Tha Funkee Homosapien, June 15, 2007, 04:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orias

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 16, 2007, 06:50:40 PM
I was at Madame JoJo's in Soho recently and the DJs were playing 50s rockabilly for most of the night, most of which sounded utterly fantastic. I know a few tracks here and there from the genre (mostly from John Waters soundtracks), but I'd love to get a couple of good compilations. Anyone have any recommendations?

If this is the DJ Andy Smith / Keb Darge Lost and Found night, I can recommend it highly.  Go to DJ Andy Smith's website for some free downloads, the more recent ones featuring a little rockabilly and a lot of boogaloo.
http://www.djandysmith.com/downloads.php

sparklewhore

Quote from: Cack Hen on June 16, 2007, 12:59:33 PM
I'd like to get into soul. I've had Sam Cooke Live at Harlem Square Club on loop for days, it's so good. I haven't heard much else besides this.

I'm really enjoying the 'Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures' compilations at the moment.  I'd pick volume 4 if I had to pick one as it has The Webs 'It's so Hard to Break a Habit' which is simply bloody thrilling.

Marginal & Troublesome

Quote from: samadriel on June 16, 2007, 03:25:33 PM
So: To where should I turn, should I decide to delve into the catalogues of Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music?
I'd second the advice you've already had on Roxy Music - 1,2,3,4 and 5 if you have to.  Later albums pall in comparison.  Ferry was a fine lyricist before he wrote himself out in the early 1980's, though there have been occasional glimmers in later work.  Stranded is my favourite, has been since 1973. 

Solo Ferry - These Foolish Things is a camp classic, but the best is 1978's The Bride Stripped Bare, especially side one.  The album of classic covers, As Time Goes By, is probably the last good album he'll ever make, though I haven't yet been able to bring myself to hear the recent Dylan album. 

M&T

Marty McFly

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 16, 2007, 06:50:40 PM
I was at Madame JoJo's in Soho recently and the DJs were playing 50s rockabilly for most of the night, most of which sounded utterly fantastic. I know a few tracks here and there from the genre (mostly from John Waters soundtracks), but I'd love to get a couple of good compilations. Anyone have any recommendations?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everybodys-Rockin-Tonight-Rockabilly-Classics/dp/B0007ODLCI/ref=sr_1_7/202-0965550-1704634?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1182298523&sr=1-7

that's a good starting point just from one label.. there's tons of rockabilly out there! any tracks/artists you know already that you enjoyed?

Quote from: buttgammon on June 16, 2007, 12:35:30 AM
What I thought, really. I wonder how the rumour came about, though. MES making it up himself? An April Fools joke or something like that? I can't even remember where I heard that. I guess Motown wouldn't have really been that interested in a Mancuian band with a highly unconvential singer with an accent few can understand, two drummers playing at once who do really long songs with cheap electric organs in them. I think Just Step S'ways and Mere Pseud Mag Ed were actually quite accessible, though. So they released singles like I'm Into CB instead!

It's a largely forgotten fact that in the early 80s Motown formed a side-label, where the plan was to sign non-souly acts.  The only album I remember coming out on this Motown offshoot was the Kidd Glove album, which sank like a brick.  So, with that in mind, it's possible that someone connected with Motown may have been interested.  Legend has it that the line 'Where are the obligatory n**gers' was the deal-breaker there...

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 16, 2007, 03:29:57 PMI can't really help you with Ferry's solo albums, though. Anyone else have some recommendations?

For my money, they're all a bit lightweight and made up of tutty cover versions.  My advice is to avoid them* and stick with the first three Roxy albums instead.

*although if you really, really, really must, 1974's 'These Foolish Things' has his versions of 'Sympathy For The Devil' and 'A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall' on it.  But generally, no.

Ray Le Otter

I'd say for entry level Roxy Music & Ferry, go for the "More Than This" compilation, which has most of the best singles by Roxy & Ferry in a weird alternate chronological order (Roxy track one , Ferry track 2, Roxy track 3 etc), and has a good mixture of early Glam stuff, the pop disco years and the overproduced lush later years.

The Plaque Goblin

Do these bands rawk! or not?:

Converge
Isis
Coalesce
Cursive
Botch
These Arms Are Snakes
Watch Them Die
Fear Before The March of Flames
The Fall of Troy

I've only heard bits of Isis while listening to lastFM's 'Music similar to the MELVINS' channel, but I think I might like them. I have a suspicion that this board's very own Captain Crunch may be able to tell you more.

Pie Pie Eater

Quote from: The Plaque Goblin on June 22, 2007, 03:33:24 AM

Converge
Isis
Coalesce
Cursive
Botch
These Arms Are Snakes
Watch Them Die
The Fall of Troy

Converge - Jane Doe is totally totally amazing. It is my (and probably many others') favourite metal albums of all time. It just covers such a range of genres, starting out fast, choppy and technical and ending with two really epic tracks. Converge and Botch are pretty much essential listening if you like your music heavy, mathy and intense.

I'd also put in a good word for Isis, particularly Oceanic. Basically post-rock but with more riffs and heavier. But I prefer Neurosis when they went through their 'post-metal' period - A Sun That Never Sets  and that.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Converge
Isis
Coalesce
Cursive
Botch
These Arms Are Snakes
Watch Them Die
The Fall of Troy

As mentioned Converge are ace. 'Jane Doe' is where it's at although all their albums have their moments. The latest one 'No Heroes' is rather good.

Isis. Went from a totally Neurosis rip off to something more individual. 'Oceanic' is my favourite. I don't really care for the releases after that.

Coalesce. Slowish grinding hardcore with love/hate vocals. A bit mathy maybe. 'Functioning on Impatience' or '0.12: Revolution in Just Listening' are their two better albums. Did a record of Led Zeppelin covers.

Cursive. More indie/emoish that the others mentioned. 'The Ugly Organ' is the one to check out although it is mainly a concept album about the singer's dick.

Botch were amazing. 'We Are the Romans' is one of the most hardcore albums ever. Heavy, technical and spawned lots of shitty bands that ripped their sound off.

These Arms Are Snakes. Band featuring ex-member/s of Botch, Kill Sadie and some others. I'm not a big fan. More melodic but still quite bass heavy and angular. Check out 'Oxeneers or the Lion Sleeps When Its Antelope Go Home'.

Watch Them Die. Never heard of them but I just check out their myspace and seem pretty generic and shit. Metalcore stuff. Probably better off listening to All Out War or At The Gates.

Fear Before The March of Flames. First album total Botch rip off. Shit.

Fall of Troy. Shit.

Anon

Converge
Isis
Coalesce
Cursive
Botch
These Arms Are Snakes
Watch Them Die
The Fall of Troy

Converge are great...not much of a hardcore fan myself, but they're pretty definitve for their style.  All of the last three records have been pretty good, but Jane Doe is (quite rightly in my opinion) held up as their finest effort - Concubine will tear your face off.  And then rub salt in it.  And then punch you while wearing barbed wire gloves.  And then...you probably get the idea.

Isis are pretty good as well - nice atmposheric metal in a Neurosis/Cult Of Luna vein.  Try out ether Oceania or the most recent one,  In The Absence Of Truth.

Out of the other bands there, I've only heard Botch and The Fall of Troy, neither of which impressed me much.  Very loud, angry and technically proficient, but none of their material really seems to be headed anywhere.

Mr. Bleaney

For getting into Scott Walker I'd recommend the "Boy Child" complilation.

thugler

Converge - Personally I can't stand them, the music is good in parts, but the vocals get annoying very quickly.
Isis - Fantastic, Oceanic is a corker.
Coalesce - Shit
Cursive - Shit
Botch - Great
These Arms Are Snakes - I prefered the stuff they released before the oxeneers album they made, since they had 2 guitarists then. Pretty good and an interesting sound
Watch Them Die - Crappy
Fear Before The March of Flames - Similar to Botch, okay.
The Fall of Troy - Ass.

The Plaque Goblin

Neat! Should I add any other bands to my list that do that kind of thing?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Godspeed You Black Emperor....

...bear in mind I like M83 and Mono but am not that keen on Muse or Sigur Ros.

non capisco

I'd like to get into soul. I've had Sam Cooke Live at Harlem Square Club on loop for days, it's so good. I haven't heard much else besides this.

Any of the 'I'm A Good Woman' compilations on Harmless Records, plus the 'New Orleans Funk' and 'Saturday Night Fish Fry' compilations on Soul Jazz records.
And if you like Sam Cooke get yourself any of the many Lee 'Working In A Coalmine' Dorsey 'best of's out there.

fanny splendid

daisy11

Oh Marvin Gaye, he had the voice of an angel, and sadly due to his very own father, could be one now :-/

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 24, 2007, 12:30:35 AM
Godspeed You Black Emperor....

...bear in mind I like M83 and Mono but am not that keen on Muse or Sigur Ros.

Well it's got to be F♯A♯∞ then. They don't sound anything like Muse or Sigur Ros or M83 or that much like Mono for that matter. 'Dead Flag Blues' would be a great soundtrack to 9/11.

Quote from: The Plaque Goblin on June 23, 2007, 11:44:53 PM

Cave In - Until Your Heart Stops
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity
Kiss It Goodbye - She Loves Me, She Love Me Not
Deadguy - Fixation On A Co-Worker
Knut - Challenger

chand

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on June 24, 2007, 12:52:22 PM
Well it's got to be F♯A♯∞ then. They don't sound anything like Muse or Sigur Ros or M83 or that much like Mono for that matter. 'Dead Flag Blues' would be a great soundtrack to 9/11.

That is a great record. I personally love 'Lift your Skinny Fists...' slightly more though; plus you get two CDs with it. You really can't go wrong with them though.

Now, someone on here must know a bit about Boredoms. I'm listening to 'Seadrum/House Of Sun' right now, and I already own 'Vision Creation Newsun', and they're both great. What else is worth getting?

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: chand on June 24, 2007, 03:52:47 PM

Now, someone on here must know a bit about Boredoms. I'm listening to 'Seadrum/House Of Sun' right now, and I already own 'Vision Creation Newsun', and they're both great. What else is worth getting?

I love their earlier albums Pop Tatari and Chocolate Synthesiser, but be warned, they really are nothing like the recent albums. I would maybe check a few tracks out ('Cheeba' and 'Cory & The Mandara Suicide Pyramid' from Pop Tatari or 'Acid Police' from Chocolate Synthesiser are recommended) before buying anything. The early stuff is thrashy, incomprehensible and very funny, but they really are an acquired taste.

Super AE is a safer buy if you like the recent albums. I'd also recommend the Ichi The Killer soundtrack Koroshiya Ichi, by Karera Musication, which is The Boredoms minus Yamataka Eye. It's not easy to track down, but I picked it up off Soulseek a few years back.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Marty McFly on June 20, 2007, 01:22:55 AM
there's tons of rockabilly out there! any tracks/artists you know already that you enjoyed?

I don't have much to go on, really. I have some stuff on old tapes that I love, but I don't have any artist/track information for them, sadly. Thanks for the tip, though.

monkhouse terror

non capisco

Quote from: monkhouse terror on June 25, 2007, 05:21:19 PM
I want to get into Tom Waits.

I got into Tom Waits by buying 'Closing Time' and 'Rain Dogs' from a charity shop on the same day. Listen to the former first, it's one of his boozy lovelorn barhound albums and has beautiful songs like 'I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love' and the title track on it. Then if you like that, and I'm sure you will, give 'Rain Dogs' and its beat poetry/found percussion/sleazy voodoo vibe a go. It's the one with 'Jockey Full Of Bourbon' on it, which you might recognise from Down By Law or 'Black Books' completely ripping it off for a theme song. Then get 'Swordfishtrombones', after which you'll probably be a fan and can investigate further to your hearts content.

monkhouse terror

Thanks muchly non capisco! I was hoping to get me hands on the one which was from Down By Law - cracking stuff

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

The first Waits album I got into was Bone Machine. I don't know how it's ranked in the pecking order by people who are into Tom Waits a bit more than me, but I think it's pretty good.

Pseudopath

Quote from: daisy11 on June 24, 2007, 09:54:11 AM
Oh Marvin Gaye, he had the voice of an angel, and sadly due to his very own father, could be one now :-/

To quote the Churchill dog, "Oh yes".

My pathway into soul was Stevie Wonder (Innervisions, Music Of My Mind, Talking Book), Marvin Gaye (What's Going On, Live at the London Palladium), then every Motown record I could get my hands on. They're all gods, but no-one comes close to Marvin. I defy anyone to watch this video without a grin as wide as the moon:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-UvQYAmbg[/youtube]

And before you ask, they apparently never did, although I find that extremely hard to believe.

boki

Quote from: The Plaque Goblin on June 23, 2007, 11:44:53 PM

Sloooow:  Jesu
Punky: Refused

Sam

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on June 25, 2007, 06:22:49 PM
The first Waits album I got into was Bone Machine. I don't know how it's ranked in the pecking order by people who are into Tom Waits a bit more than me, but I think it's pretty good.

Bone Machine is generally regarded as one of his best albums. It certainly one of my favourites and you won't find a Waits fan more rabid than me.

[b[Monkhouse[/b]: I highly recommend getting hold of "Blue Valentine" (for his early period stuff) and "Bone Machine" and/or "Alice" for his later stuff. But I agree you can't go wrong with "Rain Dogs".