Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:42:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mobile Phones, Sim Card interchangability and me

Started by buntyman, June 15, 2007, 09:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buntyman

I intended to go for a few quiet drinks last night but ended up getting blazing drunk and losing my mobile phone. I'm Pay and then Go and it was a cheapo phone so not too angry about it but I need to get another one now.
My Mum is due a phone upgrade and kindly offered to donate it to me so I was wondering if it's possible to pick a phone out of the 02 shop, put a Tesco Mobile SIM in it and get it to work? If it only works on certain models does anyone know which? I don't give a shit what my phone looks like as long as it texts and phones (and is fairly durable - I have a habit of throwing them up and catching them on my foot).
Any advice?

Blumf

You'll probably need to get the phone 'unlocked' which most independent (i.e. bit shifty) phone shops can do for you for about 10-20 quid.

Suttonpubcrawl

I got my phone unlocked about a year and a half ago in an extraordinary shop. It seemed to basically be set up in a corner under a staircase in a derelict building, on a side street round the back of Upton Park station. I don't think there's anything I can say to make the place sound more dodgy, is there?

Tamarind Massacre

I couple of weeks ago, I lost my phone on a train.

(I dozed off on the train at about at about 11pm, and woke up with the train at my station.  I jumped up and dashed to the doors, but the by the time I got there the train was pulling away.  Swearing ensued.  I got off at the next stop and realized minutes later that my phone was gone, probably when I was running for the doors.  More swearing ensued.  Yes, it was in the evening after a couple of beers.  But my excuse is that it was the day after I got back from a very enjoyable but exhausting holiday.)

Fortunately, the train was one that terminates at the station after the one where I got off.  So when I made it home 30 minutes later, I called my phone, and had it answered by the station employee who had found it when he was checking the train.  He told me I could pick it up from the station the next day.  And I did.  Three cheers for our honest, hard working train station employees!

gazzyk1ns

If it's a Nokia then you can unlock it yourself by using the free code generators at places like the nokiafree.org forums. I've not been there in literally a year though, they might have changed. Assuming they haven't, get a Nokia from the O2 shop, then unlock it via them and stick your sim in there.

hundred

If it's an upgrade on a contract handset, it should already be unlocked on every network, so your sim should work.

Ron Seal

If the handset's over a year old, Tesco might unlock it for you.  O2 did mine when I inherited it from my mum.

Dr_Gloryhole

All the O2 phones I have owned, and friends/family owned, having never been locked to the network, meaning any sim card will work.
Three on the other hand, dont get me started

Pseudopath

http://www.unlockme.co.uk/unlockme.html

For all your phone unlocking needs (although it's a bit Nokia-centric).

Labian Quest

Quote from: gazzyk1ns on June 16, 2007, 03:31:34 AM
If it's a Nokia then you can unlock it yourself by using the free code generators at places like the nokiafree.org forums.

Cheers, Gaz, I've just tried that program with my phones IMEI etc, I will get a few SIMS today and try that out.

Blumf

Quote from: Suttonpubcrawl on June 15, 2007, 10:30:35 PM
I got my phone unlocked about a year and a half ago in an extraordinary shop. It seemed to basically be set up in a corner under a staircase in a derelict building, on a side street round the back of Upton Park station. I don't think there's anything I can say to make the place sound more dodgy, is there?

You could say Peter Lorre worked behind the counter.

"Might I remind you Mr. Pubcrawl that you may have the Nokia, but we certainly have you."