Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:59:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Respected comedians bombing on stage (including Simon Munnery)

Started by 23 Daves, April 01, 2004, 04:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 24, 2013, 05:55:40 PM
Not entirely sure what the 10 posts from 2004 will add to this debate, but never mind.

Yep, for the record I'd completely forgotten I started this thread nine years ago, but:

1. Simon Munnery is back to his full health these days so far as I'm aware, and
2. I've since seen him do some incredibly good gigs, so my past criticisms shouldn't be taken as any kind of reflection on his present standards of performance.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 24, 2013, 05:55:40 PM
Not entirely sure what the 10 posts from 2004 will add to this debate, but never mind.

I opened C&B this afternoon, and for some reason had threads from 2004 at the start of the list.  I saw this thread and, apropos of it, recalled and posted on the Stewart Lee gig.  Hence the resurrection from moribund dormancy after a decade's hiatus.

prwc

I saw Munnery in Leeds a few months ago (for only £2!) and he was terrific. I did get the impression it was a "best of" kind of set with nothing too experimental, but as someone relatively new to him who had not seen him live before that worked just fine for me.

There's a video on youtube from this year's fest of Simon Munnery and Phil Kay doing a rap battle. Munnery really ought to have bombed but the crowd stay with him as they realise that rap battles are quite difficult to master and it seems a friendly night. He ends up stepping from side to side. Obviously it's not his natural environment and he's an excellent comedian where he's more comfortable. Some of the more malicious verbwhores might want to seek that out though. I wonder how much you get paid for those extra gigs at the fringe.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I saw Munnery in Leeds as well, but it was a bit rubbish to be honest, he just appearred to be walking down Brigate going into the occasional shop. Didn't even tell any jokes, what a cunt.

Artemis

Once upon a time, somebody thought "Elton John takes a bit long to get ready sometimes, we need somebody who can fill..."

Never again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35M8l7nf9mg

Johnny Townmouse

He does ok though doesn't he? He's put on the spot with no material in front of fucking Wembly. His mistake here is that he's too nice and agrees to fill. I can't believe that he didn't just walk off.

hummingofevil

I've never actually seen that before. Was he mocked for it at the time? I kind of like him a bit now. Elton Prick.

Artemis

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on September 03, 2013, 12:02:36 AM
He does ok though doesn't he?

Not really. He was supposed to be a great entertainer (I believe he described himself as such numerous times). If you can't do better with five minutes than churn out the stuff you did years ago, it's pretty desperate. It's like Les Dennis at a light entertainment concert ad-libbing by standing there doing the wrong answer noise in Family Fortunes for half an hour.

Johnny Townmouse

I would like to see a quote of him unironically saying that he is a "great entertainer".

It's quite toe-curling, particularly when he launches into "funny little fat man" out of the blue. But you can see he had NOTHING and was gamely soldiering on. I'm not being devil's advocate, it's quite tragic in many ways that he even thinks he can do the job of filling, but I admire his fortitude in the face of adversity.

I imagine if he had kept the guitar he could have knocked out his Diana song.