Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:57:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CD Ring - Who's in?

Started by Make me smile, June 22, 2007, 10:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

So when do you want our address's? I'll put a pot of tea on

Hi there,

I'll be in too if you're still recruiting.

Make me smile

Quote from: Paul's Boutique on July 04, 2007, 09:04:20 AM
Hi there,

I'll be in too if you're still recruiting.

Still recruiting...I reckon I will start sorting addresses out at the weekend.

Murdo

Sign me up as well please.

ziggy starbucks

I've heard a load of good stuff having participated in the past in verbwhore rings that I would never have heard otherwise. This is some of that very brilliant stuff:

my neighbour's having a seizure - summer at shatter creek (one of my favourite songs ever)
I hope that I don't fall in love with you - tom waits
all my hollowness - tall dwarfs
junk shop clothes - the auteurs
oh la la - the faces
at the bus mall - the decemberists
waddlin around - king khan
peacemaker - rosko (I think)

and much much more.

thanks

djtrees

Can I geg in and have a go at this, I've done it before, and it was good. I don't think I was that good at being good, but it was generally nice.

klaatu!

I'll throw my hat in too, if it's not too late.

actwithoutwords

My participation in this is under some jeapordy as I may have killed my laptop, and with it, most of the music I have been listening to recently that I wanted to put on the fucking compilation.
I'm going to leave it to dry for another day or two and then try to switch it on again. I hope that this doesn't mess things up. Though I suppose even in the worst case scenario I could make a compilation from music that I do physically own on CD, it just won't be a) mixed, or b)as good.

ziggy starbucks

well i spent a couple of hours working out the tracks and the track listing, and now I've worked out what my cd is going to sound like. There are a load of small bands without labels that you lot will never have heard off (i.e. the beatles and the rolling stones).

The last third is deliberately downbeat, I want the listener to feel my pain.

Lee Van Cleef

Can I do this too?

I promise to keep any heavy metal to a minimum.

chocky909

I'm going to do mine this weekend hopefully.

Can I suggest if people are ripping stuff off CDs that they do it it losslessly with WAVS rather than encode to mp3s. EAC is the best program to use. Obviously if you only have the mp3 then just use that. A WAV is a big file but once you've burned the CD you can delete from the HD.

Just seems daft the way some people make CD compilations taking CD>mp3>CD-R rather than CD>WAV>CD-R. Some of us have nice sound systems which reveal the weaknesses of a compressed track. Not me mind, I'm thinking of others.

fEDORA

glitch

Quote from: chocky909 on July 10, 2007, 09:35:26 PM
Can I suggest if people are ripping stuff off CDs that they do it it losslessly with WAVS rather than encode to mp3s. EAC is the best program to use. Obviously if you only have the mp3 then just use that. A WAV is a big file but once you've burned the CD you can delete from the HD.

Can I second this? Hell, I'll even post a nice version of EAC with a load of config files and how to set it up nicely.

That said, I'll be making a mix composed of CD-rips and downloaded mp3s, so maybe I'm not the best person to champion this idea.

Go With The Flow

Yeah, mine will mostly be mp3s and the like. I guess no audiophiles will want to be in my ring.

actwithoutwords

And on the fourth day, my laptop rose again. I'm back in the game you cunts. Eat my compression.

chocky909

Quote from: Go With The Flow on July 11, 2007, 09:28:39 AM
Yeah, mine will mostly be mp3s and the like. I guess no audiophiles will want to be in my ring.

I'm not being snooty, personally I can't tell the difference as long as it's a decent bitrate, I just think people shouldn't rip CDs to mp3 and then back if they can help it, something I did for a while before seeing the lossless light.

Make me smile

Right you lot, send me your addresses and I will allow you to enter my database (fnar!) before fiddling with the rings (fnarrr!) and wanking over your sleeping bodies (fnaaaaaaaaaar!).

Do I need to PM Neil to get this thread stickied and unstick the old one?

CaledonianGonzo

Sorry - haven't clicked into this thread for a few days.  Am I too late?

And what are the rules about having to provide inlay cards/tracklistings and the like?  Do people prefer a bit of mystery, or do they want sleevenotes and annotations?

Also - can I volunteer for the low-bitrate ring.  As well as being a haphazard gallimaufry of oddments that'll make you think my media player's shat the bed, its going to come presented in a wide mix of different qualities and file-formats, faithful to its acquisition from a wide variety ofdifferent sources...

(*rubs hands* - OK - expectations sufficiently lowered - its time to blow their tiny minds....!)

Lanky

Is it bad form to re-use a song that I used last time we did this? It's a very good song...

Make me smile

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 15, 2007, 07:17:28 PM
Sorry - haven't clicked into this thread for a few days.  Am I too late?

And what are the rules about having to provide inlay cards/tracklistings and the like?  Do people prefer a bit of mystery, or do they want sleevenotes and annotations?

Also - can I volunteer for the low-bitrate ring.  As well as being a haphazard gallimaufry of oddments that'll make you think my media player's shat the bed, its going to come presented in a wide mix of different qualities and file-formats, faithful to its acquisition from a wide variety ofdifferent sources...

Nope, not too late to send me your addresses...

As for inlays/artwork etc...it's really up to the individual, I know some people prefer not to send tracklistings but I'm not really bothered. Please feel free to make your artwork/packaging as simple or complex as you like.

Finally, there won't be a low-bitrate ring, it will be mongrels and pure-breeds thrown together into an orgy of music that would make an audio eugenicist cry.
Posted on: July 16, 2007, 11:40:56 AM

I haven't got a fucking clue what I just did there, I was diddling with the 'double post' button and it's welded these posts together...ah well...a new post begins here...

Just sorting addresses and such for this...I have PMd everyone who has shown an interest but not sent me their address yet. If anyone else wants to get involved then let me know asap.

First posting week starts on Monday, so get your skates on and make those CDs.

Last time round the idea was that people would write reviews of the CDs if they wanted to, but that seemed to tail off pretty quickly. This time round feel free to write reviews, but I thought it would also be good if people could choose their favourite track from each CD (whether you just like it, or it was surprising, or opened your eyes to a new type of music or whatever) and PM the name of it to me (a couple of lines about it would be good too) when you send the CD on. The idea is that I will compile a best-of compilation (a Lord of the Rings if you will) that I will send out to everyone should we ever get to the end of this.

Jaffit

Thats a great idea. Im really looking forward to hearing some great new music through this.

Make me smile

Righto, I have PMd everyone who has sent me their address. Send me a PM if you haven't received anything or I have done something stupid like sending you your own address to post to.

actwithoutwords

Can you publish who's in what ring in the thread? Or is that part of the surprise? Are we meant to let the person we send stuff to know who we are?

Make me smile

Quote from: actwithoutwords on July 23, 2007, 12:59:11 AM
Can you publish who's in what ring in the thread? Or is that part of the surprise? Are we meant to let the person we send stuff to know who we are?

You can find the breakdown of each ring at the end of the PM I sent out...the posting order is as listed so people can work it out from that. I don't have a copy of the list here at work so I will pop it in this thread when I get home.

Marvin

I'm not going to send a tracklisting out with mine but I will PM a tracklisting to you as soon as you let me know you've got the CD. It's just personally I like that suprise-factor listening to someone's compilation tape for the first time and not knowing what's coming up.

Make me smile

Here be the rings..I am only in 1 now as Famour Mortimer has joined in:

Ring 1

Marvin
Paul's Boutique
Toad in the Hole
Dr Berbatov
Glitch
Make me Smile

Ring 2

Ziggy Starbucks
Jaffit
Murdo
Go with the flow
djtrees
actwithoutwords

Ring 3

Famous Mortimer
Dolphinface
Lee van cleef
Beck
Ciaran
caledoniangonzo

Ring 4

Sparklewhore
Falafel
Aniasg
Chocky909
Lanky
Klaatu

I have only had 1 PM to say a CD has been posted so far...I know I have given you a two week posting period, but shift your arses!

ziggy starbucks

you should have another pm from me.

ziggy starbucks

Has anybody actually sent or received anything?

djtrees

Just about to send mine out after my dinner and neighbours.

Hope that's OK ringwatcher!

ziggy starbucks

yes, but I've only been watching your ring for research purposes only