Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:38:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who Uses a Graphics Tablet?

Started by @ssmaster, April 01, 2004, 06:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

@ssmaster

Cos I have bought one from Aldi for £30 and gonna give it a try out when I get home.

What I would like to know is are they difficult to use? Because I have used a mouse for graphicsstuff up until now and I'm hoping this isn't going to be another one of those items that I'm going to dump into the bottom of my wardrobe after a couple of tries. Are they really as good as people say they are?

mr rou-rou

edit to move to correct colour background :/

mr rou-rou

yes, they are awkward twats of things, the wobbly hover to shimmy the cursor around, zoom is your friend but who sketches in zoom mode? you don't write or draw by not looking at the piece of paper you are working with, but with the tablet you have invisibility on your lap and the creation on the screen, plus the small ones are rubbish. I've an A5 Graphire2, gathering dust.

Fireworks doesnt support pressure settings so no fancy strokes to be had there, Adobe as expected, does.

I just do my doodles in flash, I can't draw so this is the curse of my style.

I like going over the edges

mook

@ssmaster for an extra tenner you can get a bog standard Wacom. THIS ONE in fact.

If you are going to use photoshop, adobe have done all kinds of stuff to implement Wacoms into their  programs,  so it really is just plug the bugger in and away you go. I've got a Graphire 3 and found it a piece of piss to get used to, it's only a pen after all. I must admit I still use the mouse when using the pen tool , but for everything else I use the wacom. If you haven't ripped the box open on your Aldi one take it back and get a refund. After a bit of practice you won't regret it.

All I need now is some monging inspiration.

@ssmaster

Yeah i heard those WACOM's were pretty good. That one looks a bit small though this Medion one I have got has a drawing area of 12" x 9" all I need to do now is find space on my desk to fit the bugger on.

Rats

I've been thinking about getting one of them for ages cos I can't draw with the mouse. I shake a lot and I was wondering if the slippery surface would be any good, is their any friction on the pen or will I be all over the shop?

Rubbish Monkey

I want one toooooo, but my computer is shite so it put me off. I didnt think they were as cheap as that tho. My birthday is in 2 weeks, who wants to buy me one?

MarmiteCarpenter

Quote from: "@ssmaster"Yeah i heard those WACOM's were pretty good. That one looks a bit small though this Medion one I have got has a drawing area of 12" x 9" all I need to do now is find space on my desk to fit the bugger on.

I bought a WACOM Graphire a couple years ago and it was ace, but haven't used it in ages, I really should. Mine came with a funky little mouse too, with scrollwheels and everything. It didn't have any wires or electronics though, it must have used voodoo or something.

Cerys

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"zoom is your friend but who sketches in zoom mode?

<blush>

SNG's been suggesting that I get a graphics tablet soon, but I'm not sure.  My hands tend to be too wobbly for ordinary pencil-use, so sometimes the stability of the mouse is my best(ish) friend.  Can't hurt to give it a go, though.

ccab

I've got a wacom cintiq - but since it's on my yacht in Barbados I only get to use it once a fortnight & then only for 5 minutes once the supermodels are worn out.

fanny splendid

ccab

Quote from: "fanny splendid"18"?

actually the first part (the bit about the cintiq) was slightly a lie.

Lt Plonker

I have one, but I can't connect it to my laptop. It's great for iSketch too.

Rats

Answer my fucking question you snotty nosed cunts.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "ccab"
Quote from: "fanny splendid"18"?

actually the first part (the bit about the cintiq) was slightly a lie.

Fuck, and there was me thinking that that there was a successful verbwhore!

Quote from: "Rats"I've been thinking about getting one of them for ages cos I can't draw with the mouse. I shake a lot and I was wondering if the slippery surface would be any good, is their any friction on the pen or will I be all over the shop?

Just cover the wacom with that sticky backed sandpaper you get for skateboards, and everything will be fine.

Quote from: "Rats"I can't draw

Try a mail order course?

Rats

Is it dead slippery then you fat shit house? or is it not that fucking bad?

fanny splendid

Quote from: "Rats"Is it dead slippery then you fat shit house? or is it not that fucking bad?

Well that depends upon just how much of a podgy fingered mong you are? Judging by your eyes, you would be better off with a large crayon, and a wall.

Rats

fanny splendid

Santa's Boyfriend

I use a wacom pad, and they are indeed the greatest thing ever invented IMHO.  Especially for doing mongs.

Almost Yearly

A designer with a headache?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAinfinityplusone

Jaffa The Cake

Quote from: "@ssmaster"Cos I have bought one from Aldi for £30 and gonna give it a try out when I get home.
I got one of these at Christmas (I'm assuming it's A4 and made by Medion). Excellent thing, use it for all my photoshop stuff.

epileptic doggy style

i have an " active" XP-PEN i got from argos,i think it cost me £26.00
loads of pressure settings,easy to use,loads of settings around the tablet centre.
if youre willing to lash out a few quid,get one with a graphics "PUCK".. GRAPHIC DESIGNERS USE THEM LOADS,AND THEYRE FANTASTIC TOYS TO HAVE.

fanny splendid

Yeah? But they make you shout...

glitch

I too use a Wacom tablet. I'd recommend them, but try and go for A4 if you can afford it. I've got an A6 one and it's really not big enough for what I want to use it for.

They're good for tracing, and airbrushing is whole new experience compared to the mouse - you can even get stylus' weighted perfectly to mimic an airbrush if you wish.  It can be a bit disorientating using them at first, and I swap between it and the  mouse loads for different tools in Photoshop.

The best bit about it is that you can turn the pen upside down and use it like a rubber.

Well, it made me smile anyway

Rats - there's less friction than paper. I guess it glides l ike a fineliner . It's not as if there's a problem with it slipping about a lot.

Rats

Ah cheers, I might get round to having myself one then.

Johnny Yesno

£40 for a Wacom? Fucking hell! I was put off buying a tablet cos the computer shop near us only does £150 jobbies. Bastards. I think I'll get one. Hopefully there'll be less swearing when I'm trying to draw selections.