Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:23:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you wear rubber gloves when washing up?

Started by ccab, July 09, 2007, 07:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you wear rubber gloves when washing up?

Yes
No, it spoils the sensation
I don't know, I have a dishwasher/slave/bitch/wife
I'm posh and only eat in restaurants

ccab

Since being junked by my cold-blooded ex-girlfriend, I've found myself having to do my own washing up for the first time in nearly 10 years - and I don't like it. I hate the smell of the ~ ~ steaming dishwater ~ ~ and I hate cleaning the fiddly shapes of the cutlery. Plates are OK. And so are breakfast bowls. But the biggest difficulty is the water. Its useless if it's luke-warm, so the only way is to have it scalding hot. This means my fingertips get burnt and by the time I've finished my hands are crinkled and have veins sticking out. So I've taken to using rubber gloves, and although it's a fairly poncey choice I think it's paying off well. (And, no I'm not doing it to keep my hands soft for other purposes.)

But what about you? Do you wear the rubber gloves when you do the washing up? Do you even do the washing up at all?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I literally throw all my crockery outside when it's finished with. This allows the boy I pay to come around with the digger once a month and shovel all my fat corpulent shittings and shellings on to some housing estate or other so it can be rummaged through by scavengers.

Small Man Big Horse

Of course not, I'm a real man!

In all seriousness, I don't. I had a job when I was about 14 in a restaurant where I had to take steaming hot plates out of the dish washer, make sure they were clean, and then place them with all the other clean plates. For the first day it was agony, but after that my hands got used to it, and washing up in hot water has never hurt since.

I should be a bit concerned about the way I don't feel pain that much actually, whilst having my hair cut a few weeks back the hairdresser sliced off a mole on the back of my neck and I didn't even notice until she saw blood and wondered why I hadn't mentioned it to her.

Little Hoover

I like the feeling of the hot water, maybe I'm just into very mild masochism.

El Unicornio, mang

I don't think I've ever seen anyone outside of a Fairy Liquid commercial using rubber gloves to do the dishes.

Fairy being the operative word there.

chocky909

Have you tried 'quite hot' water, or as hot as is comfortable for your bare hands? It works for me. I think most people who wear rubber gloves do it because of a reaction to detergent, not to protect them from the heat of the water. I've washed many, many dishes and never understood people wearing rubber gloves. I don't get sore hands or anything, it's just hot soapy water. Especially if you use mild, green Fairy liquid.

wherearethespoons

I often wear rubber gloves and think, 'fuck it, seeing as I've got them on I might as well do some washing up.'

MissInformed

Nah, not me. I have heatproof hands. Or something.

VeedeePlexagon

rubber gloves normally make my hands stink, and it's worse when a little bit of water gets in a glove rather than getting the whole hand wet.

23 Daves

Your girlfriend did the washing up for you?  I bloody have to do the washing up in this house, otherwise it would never get touched.

Anyway, no, I don't use gloves.  There again, I don't use gloves for paint stripper or white spirits either, so I'm probably just really fucking stupid.  It would certainly explain why my fingers are always covered with flaky skin.

MissInformed

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 09, 2007, 07:29:17 PM
I don't think I've ever seen anyone outside of a Fairy Liquid commercial using rubber gloves to do the dishes.

They don't wear rubber gloves in the Fairy Liquid adverts..."now hands that do dishes can feel soft as your face, with mild green Fairy Liquid" an' all that.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang
Fairy being the operative word there.

Fucking hell, this place really is going down and not in the good way.

El Unicornio, mang

MissInformed

People are getting a bit free and easy with the Seventies style gay insults. It's just not necessary. We're better than that. Aren't we?

Captain Crunch

Y'know if you cut a finger off a rubber glove and roll it over the top of a broom or mop handle, you can prop it up against a wall without it slipping.  Alternatively, cut the fingers into strips and save money on pricey elastic bands.

If there's one thing guaranteed to make me feel like there's a war on it's washing crockery by hand.

El Unicornio, mang

I wasn't insulting any gay people, just a jokey insult of men wearing rubber gloves to do the washing up.

MissInformed

Quote from: Captain Crunch on July 09, 2007, 08:23:46 PM
Y'know if you cut a finger off a rubber glove and roll it over the top of a broom or mop handle, you can prop it up against a wall without it slipping.  Alternatively, cut the fingers into strips and save money on pricey elastic bands.

Ha, I see that Housewives' Choice music has been getting to you again!

MissInformed

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 09, 2007, 08:25:26 PM
I wasn't insulting any gay people, just a jokey insult of men wearing rubber gloves to do the washing up.

OK, my mistake, sorry.  I'm just a bit sensitive about that kind of shit ever since that "backs to the wall" stuff on the other thread, which I thought was bang out of order.

Real men do wear rubber gloves, at least they do when the water's as hot as it is in this house.

SetToStun

I used to but more because I was fast running out of plates rather than because of water temperature. It turns out I was using twice as much washing-up liquid as necessary, meaning the plates were coated in the stuff and I ended up doing a Jack Douglas at least once per washing-up session. Reduced the quantity of WUL and problem solved, so now I don't need to faff about with gloves.

SOTS

We have a dishwasher.

But if I have to wash pans or whatever, I don't wear the gloves.

Lady Beaner

Quote from: MissInformed on July 09, 2007, 08:55:36 PM
Real men do wear rubber...

Hurrr...

Rubber gloves for washing?! Don't be such a fanny. And yes, they make your hands stink. Why don't 'they' make rubber gloves in more interesting colours?

ccab

I quite appreciate the bright yellow - it makes them easy to find.

And it's true, they do make your hands smell, but it is possible to wash your hands afterwards. You'd wash them after wiping your arse wouldn't you?

Go With The Flow

I should really wear rubber gloves, as I have quite bad eczema on my hands*. However, we have a dishwasher so I don't have to do that much washing up (generally just large pans and the like) - and generally our family rule is "If you cook, you don't have to do the dishes" and I enjoy cooking.

*and plus, the temptation to pretend to be a superhero is too much.

Ciarán

My brother in law has this great story, that when he was a kid from the house he he lived in you could see right through to the house opposite them, and the people in that other house never used to draw the curtains over, so you could see everything that went on inside. The only interesting thing that ever did happen was each time the mother of the household would sit down to watch Cornoation St, her husband would go upstairs and have a wank - in full public view - and whilst wearing marigold gloves. He must have got through a lot of gloves...

Vaguely Phallic

If you half-close your eyes, it's easy to imagine a pair of cockerels fighting over the dishes as your drown them. This doesn't work as well if you fully close one eye whilst leaving the other open, strangely. Particularly if you're the PM.

Tamarind Massacre

Gloves every time.  I have a tendency towards Eczema, and I prefer not to have my hands looking like scabby zombie hands.

Has there been a skin conditions thread?

daisy11

Quote from: Tamarind Massacre on July 11, 2007, 10:09:55 PM
Gloves every time.  I have a tendency towards Eczema, and I prefer not to have my hands looking like scabby zombie hands.

Has there been a skin conditions thread?

Not yet, I'm developing some sort of vein-like bruising on my right shoulder, I think it's a pressure thing from carrying my handbag.  Starflower cream in the gloves should help you.  Or keep them scabby to quickly rub the faces of small children who glide past you on scooters.

Santa's Boyfriend

I take my rubber gloves off to do the washing up.

buttgammon

Washing what? I don't wash the dishes with them but I wear them to 'wash' something. Or should that be dirty something up?

I mean my cock you idiots.