Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:28:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

When people get names of things wrong in real life

Started by lipsink, July 16, 2007, 05:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lipsink

I must say I do find it really funny when people say the wrong name of something. The most recent example was when I heard an old lady talking complain about "the awful language in that comedy programme 'The Thick and the Thin'.

A mate also told me about one time at the cinema when 'Meet Joe Black' was on, two old ladies were talking and one said to the other "Have you seen that Brad Pitt film 'See Jimmy Brown'?"

My favourite however was when a mate of mine (who constantly made out he knew everything about music when he actually knew fuck all and would constantly make mistakes) saw a poster of mine of The Smiths. He smirked and I said "What, do you not like The Smiths?" He replied "Nah, they're music's alright. Neil Morrisey's a wanker though."

Anyone got any other good ones?

lipsink

Oops! I just realised I put this in the wrong forum!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Robot Devil

Doesn't really count, but my mate misheard "Spiderman 3" as "Smiley Murphy", which amused us, perhaps inordinately, for hours.

John Self

I was once introduced to this guy, a friend of a friend, an effete Italian interior decorator called Mario Futtibucca. Only, through some stupid childish Freudian slip of my brain, I couldn't help but refer to him, for years, as "Marco". Well, you can only imagine my embarrassment when I was finally set straight on the matter!

EDIT: Oh no hold on, he was called Marco.  ^^PLZ IGNORE^^

My friend's mum once referred to the fast food outlet Kentucky Fried Chicken as 'Kenfucky Tried Chicken'!!! Stupid bitch.

Love the story as ever, John.

chocky909

For those who don't know the story about Diana Dors.

Quote from: wikipedia"They asked me to change my name. I suppose they were afraid that if my real name, Diana Fluck, was in lights, and one of the lights blew..."

According to Dors` autobiography, she was once asked and readily agreed to open a fete in her home town of Swindon, England. Prior to the festivities, Dors lunched with the local Vicar, during which she informed him that her real name was Diana Fluck. The Vicar became somewhat worried about his planned speech. After lunch, they arrived at the fete at the appointed time. The Vicar, totally unnerved about mispronouncing "Fluck", introduced Diana with these immortal words:

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I introduce to you our star guest. We all love her, especially as she is our local girl. I therefore feel it right to introduce her by her real name; Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome the very lovely Miss Diana Clunt."

Doctor Stamen

I get great enjoyment out of saying "Richard Branston" to people, as it really winds them up.

"IT'S BRANSON!  BRAN-SON!!!"

"No it isn't, you're thinking of Branson Pickle"

Starlit

Quote from: Doctor Stamen on July 18, 2007, 10:42:10 PM
I get great enjoyment out of saying "Richard Branston" to people, as it really winds them up.

Do you mind if I appropriate that for myself?
If enough people do it, Richard Branston start to wonder if he's pronouncing his own name wrong.

Beck

My all-time favourite case of people mixing people's names up is when a friend of mine referred to Haley Joel Osment as 'Lee Harvey Oswald.'

NoSleep

Quote from: Doctor Stamen on July 18, 2007, 10:42:10 PM

That reminds me that my brother painted the word "Fagile" onto the flightcase of his keyboard. It worked... everytime he took it out to gigs, someone would point out the spelling error. "Yeah, but at least you've now read it."

drberbatov

Always makes me think of this

http://www.tony-hawks.com/skatemail.php

Mothers are especially good for this, mine especially. With Queens of the Stone Age becoming Queens of the Realm and apparently Ozzy Osbourne was part of the group Black Salad

Some funny shit in this thread (just pointing it out guv, honest, wasn't suggesting that it should have been bumped).  The Quarantino one is without peer

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=15235.0

Bad Cabin

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on July 19, 2007, 08:30:35 PMThe Quarantino one is without peer

God, that just... didn't register with me for several minutes. I opened the thread thinking "ooh, I'll have to keep an eye out for that story -- did someone get two different Quarantino films mixed up or something?"

ziggy starbucks

after those people drove into glasgow airport and tried to set themselves on fire, I told my mum what had happened. I said that an eye witness reported that one had poured petrol over himself and set himself on fire whilst shouting "Allah Allah".

My mum later repeated the story to my sister, but instead of "allah allah", my mum said that the bloke shouted "Aled Aled"

Giving something of a welsh twist to the story. Does Aled Jones inspire welsh suicide attacks on scottish airports?

abighat

A friend called the drummer from the Jimi Hendrix Experience 'Mitch Mitchellmore'.

My wife thought Mohammed Ali's original name was 'Casio Clay' (possibly Cassy O'Clay, it's hard to tell).