Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:39:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Any breakcore fans?

Started by alan nagsworth, July 17, 2007, 05:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

The hills are alive with the sound of s*****c ragga-junglist mash-up amen breaks. Breakcore is slowly getting recognized as a serious genre, not a subgenre or an indie-elitist party trick. With artists like Venetian Snares, DJ Scotch Egg and Shitmat holding down the fort, the way has been paved for the next step in electronica.

Just thinking, as this one hasn't properly risen into the ranks of respectability yet, there's lots of artists that are well-known only amongst groups of friends rather than the whole collective of breakcore fans. So what's your poison, fellow fans?

Personal choices would be Sickboy Milkplus, VSnares, Cardopusher, Enduser, Shitmat and Kid606.

See also: Chipcore, which is breakcore but the instrumentation and often the drums are all sampled from old gaming consoles. Sounds retarded, and it really is, bt it has a charm if you're into retro-gaming and ... I'll stop now. Discuss pleeease.

glitch

I absolutely love breakcore, but I've got to head of to work now I'll post more later.

However if you're in London this Thursday, enduser and Venetian Snares are doing a pre-Glade warm-up at Elektrowerkz in Angel.

no_offenc

Germlin's rather good.  If quite frightening live.

Go With The Flow

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=14619.0 Is about Chip Music, which is sort-of related. I'm a massive fan of Sabrepulse, "Chipbreak Wars" is my driving album at the moment.

dmillburn

I became a convert a while back after seeing Shitmat and Venetian Snares live - Shitmat is incredible live and most of my favourite nights out in the last couple of years have been Wrong Music related, they've curated some amazing nights at Supersonic and Drop Beats Not Bombs

For people that want a cheap taster then you can't grumble at the Wrong Music Etc compilation, 30 tracks (not all breakcore by any stretch, it's a varied mix) compiled by Henry Shitmat including Scotch Egg, Ebola, Teppop etc for a fiver delivered from Cargo here http://www.cargorecords.co.uk/release_zoom.php?item=3465

The new Proboscus Records compilation Vomit is pretty tasty too, more of a straight breakcore compilation with a harder edge to it, £5 plus post gets you tracks from Ladyscraper, Shitmat, Judith Priest, Cardopusher etc plus a fantastic Toe Cutter track http://www.proboscus.co.uk/

Anyone know if Wrongstock is still going ahead? No news on it and it's only a month away which isn't looking good.

Oh and not breakcore but related as the album is out on Wrong, if you get the chance to check out TWOCSINAK and DJ Sarah Wilson live then do so

I'm a massive fan of the Hungarian album by VSnares, but alot of other stuff I've heard slides on the side of unlistenable too often. I suppose I'm too big a fan of more conventional dnb. Which artists do the least fucked up stuff? (yes I'm a pussy)

hencole

I do hope all the breakcore massive are coming to Glade?

I quite like breakcore, but only in small doses otherwise my ears start bleading.

dmillburn

No Wrong Music afternoon on the Saturday at Glade this year unfortunately so it's a bit lacking although there's still a fair bit of breakcore with Scotch Egg band, Venetian Snares but no Ebola, Shitmat, Mully etc.

dmillburn

Quote from: Regular Chicken on July 17, 2007, 12:35:48 PM
Which artists do the least fucked up stuff? (yes I'm a pussy)

Well the V Snares Rossz album doesn't really sound much like anything else from the genre so it's a tricky starting point but if you are coming from conventional d'n'b then the new Shitmat album Grooverider sounds like it's going to be the ideal intro for you- from the 3 clips you can listen to on boomkat it's sounding pretty much trad dnb although I'm sure there will be plenty of nasty horribleness on it too!

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=42941

Not for a couple of weeks though

Pie Pie Eater

Dammit I really want to go to Glade but I shot my festival load early this year going to ATPs.

I miss breakcore - there used to be quite a good little scene here in Edinburgh but it seems to have died out. Any of you whores make any yourselves?

dmillburn

Forgot to mention there's a free Ladyscraper album for download here that some of you might be interested in:

http://www.cockrockdisco.com/CRD2/albumpages/Crockp3-003.html

Not bad at all for free, some of the hardest stuff I've heard from him

boki

I'm a massive fan of the Hungarian album by VSnares, but alot of other stuff I've heard slides on the side of unlistenable too often. I suppose I'm too big a fan of more conventional dnb. Which artists do the least fucked up stuff? (yes I'm a pussy)

Enduser's stuff tends to be not-so-fucked.  I think a lot of breakcore suffers from sounding fucked-up-for-fucked-up's-sake.  I like  quite a lot of Snares' stuff (but by no means all of it) and some Shitmat.  Snares is my most-listened artist on last.fm, but that's mainly 'cos he puts so much out and a lot of it's on eMusic, so I can get hold of it nice and cheap.

The 'Crimson' compilation put out by Terminal Dusk is well worth checking out - not all of it's breakcore either, so there's plenty of variety.

We need to sort out a CaB Glade meet, don't we?  Free sip of not-quite-ice-cold lager to anyone who locates me in the campsite on Thrusday night and asks if I'm a 'whore (while stocks last).

Maximash

I used to be a fan until I realised it was dog shit.

glitch

Quote from: Maximash on July 17, 2007, 11:17:34 PM
I used to be a fan until I realised it was dog shit.

Well hark at you, threadshitter.

As for the rest of it - if you love Snares' Rossz Csillag Alatt Szuletett then I recommend listening to more-gabba-but-still-a-breakcore-stalwart Bong-Ra's remixes of it. More jazzy than anything else, but absolutely sublime. 4 great takes on some excellent tracks.

My current favourite breakcore release is 2% - a split EP from endusuer, edgey and Subsektor. 2 tracks by each artist, with one track remixed by the others, if that makes sense. 6 exclusive tracks with 6 exclusive remixes. The production lets it down a bit, which is a shame, as it's one of the better releases of the genre. In fact edgey is one of my favourite breakcore artists, after I heard him on last year's Maschinenfest compilation. Well worth checking out.

In fact, you could do worse than looking up Ad Noiseam records. I dropped about 300 Euros (got to love that exchange rate) on some CDs and vinyl a few months back and although that was split between breakcore, noise and glitch, I've not regretted a penny.

Since I found out UNKLE were playing Glade I wished I'd bought a ticket, but the breakcore/glitch/whatever contigent wasn't enough to drag me up there initially so I'm not too bothered.

I'll look out for those Bong-Ra remixes, sound interesting.

If anyone wants to find me at Glade I'll be wearing a comically oversized cowboy hat which I just purchased. Woop woop

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Go With The Flow on July 17, 2007, 11:33:48 AM
http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=14619.0 Is about Chip Music, which is sort-of related. I'm a massive fan of Sabrepulse, "Chipbreak Wars" is my driving album at the moment.

yes mate, spot on. i found out the other day a friend of mine knows him and his brother, who makes mash-up music under the name of Smile For The Cameraman Honey. glasgow is music heaven, the amount of good gigs/random artists walkin about in the city is mad

alan nagsworth

if youre into the creativity of that album but want something a little more conventional, try Chocolate Wheelchair. a lot of the songs border on accessible for the most part and there's heavy influence from jungle/drum n bass rhythms and samples, and also a cover of the Coronation Street theme song.

as other people have already said, shitmat and enduser are also pretty safe bets. kid606 is great but he tends to stick to a certain genre per album, so the only decent breakcore stuff by him would by the Kill Sound Before Sound Kills You (six-oh-six's best album by far) or the not-as-good-but-still-in-the-raggajunglist-themed Who Still Kill Sound?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Pie Pie Eater on July 17, 2007, 03:07:16 PM
Dammit I really want to go to Glade but I shot my festival load early this year going to ATPs.

I miss breakcore - there used to be quite a good little scene here in Edinburgh but it seems to have died out. Any of you whores make any yourselves?

ATP vs The Fans festival by any chance? if so, who'd you go see? me and a few mates went up, had an amazing time

Funcrusher

Quote from: nagsworth on July 19, 2007, 12:11:05 AM
if youre into the creativity of that album but want something a little more conventional, try Chocolate Wheelchair. a lot of the songs border on accessible for the most part and there's heavy influence from jungle/drum n bass rhythms and samples, and also a cover of the Coronation Street theme song.
Quote from: dmillburn on July 17, 2007, 12:34:46 PM
The new Proboscus Records compilation Vomit is pretty tasty too, more of a straight breakcore compilation with a harder edge to it, £5 plus post gets you tracks from Ladyscraper, Shitmat, Judith Priest, Cardopusher etc plus a fantastic Toe Cutter track http://www.proboscus.co.uk/

Okay, predictable maybe, but there has to come a point where someone says Nathan Barley. So guess it's going to be me.

alan nagsworth

many breakcore artists, if not all of them, refuse to take their music seriously. song titles, samples and even artist names are mostly a big joke. if you've heard shitmat you'll know what i mean.  ...if that's what you mean by "Nathan Barley"

People who say things are Nathan Barley are so Nathan Barley.

Well I'm off to Glade, see you sonsabitches later.

Pie Pie Eater

Quote from: nagsworth
ATP vs The Fans festival by any chance? if so, who'd you go see? me and a few mates went up, had an amazing time

I actually went to both, but the fans one was way better musically. My highlights were Cornelius (amazing visuals), Slint (just like the record but louder, i'm fine with that), and Les Savy Fav (hair cut / insane). You?

It was really great, but it was a shame (to bring it back to the thread topic-ish) that there wasn't as much variety as in the earlier ones - no electronica for example, and very little hip-hop. Considering most great Warp artists have played at it at some point, you'd have thought 'the fans' would have picked some, or that Barry would have tried to redress the balance a bit.

My flatmate is just leaving for Glade now, grrr....

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Pie Pie Eater on July 19, 2007, 10:00:38 AM
(to bring it back to the thread topic-ish)

it's my thread you can swing the subject if you want, i'll allow it :P

it was an awesome festival (though sometimes i agree it could have been more varied musically, i was distracted by the whole "shit we're at a fully-functional butlins resort!!" thing) and my highlights were definitely Battles, Do Make Say Think, The Go! Team and meeting 65DaysOfStatic in Crazy Horse after their set.
biggest joke of a band was Brightblack Morning Light.

it might have a been a bit more varied if everyone wasn't bumming off droney post-rock so much i reckon, to an extent it's good live, but so fucking boring on record.

glitch

Ok, for all you who missed the pre-Glade warm-up and like breakcore - I pity you. On top of awesome sets by enduser and venetian snares, I witnessed a guy make an entire set from a console, v-drums and beatboxing. And it was sublime.

P.S. DJ Assault was rubbish.

Uncle Gripper

It has to be Snares, his live sets are ferocious, but in a good way.  The detail and the depth are amazing, 5 minutes of Snares live could equate to a thousand T in the Parks.....popular music today makes me weep, it really is so fucking vapid.

Glade sounds great, as it does every year, but at least i'll have http://www.dubcamp.com

glitch

Quote from: Uncle Gripper on July 22, 2007, 12:22:39 AM
It has to be Snares, his live sets are ferocious, but in a good way.  The detail and the depth are amazing, 5 minutes of Snares live could equate to a thousand T in the Parks.....popular music today makes me weep, it really is so fucking vapid.

He can really be hit or miss though - I've seen him before where it's almost as if he's phoned in the performance (I'm looking at you, thisisourpunkrock) and then the other night where his set was fucking epic.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: glitch on July 22, 2007, 04:38:09 AM
He can really be hit or miss though - I've seen him before where it's almost as if he's phoned in the performance (I'm looking at you, thisisourpunkrock) and then the other night where his set was fucking epic.

good to hear from someone else who went to this is our punk rock. what do you mean by "phoned in?" i thought other than the fact that he got ushered off stage by some stupid techno dj halfway through, what he played was a great set.

you might have seen me there - the fool in the glasses and camo jacket skanking like a maniac to husikam rave dojo. also i jumped about at some point and all my change flew out of my pockets... daaamn

Analrapist

Wayhey, breakcore. Now we're talking! I'd say Venetian Snares is probably a good point for a beginner. I've been hammering the Pink + Green EP for ages now, and I'd say it's probably my favourite thing that he's done. Didn't bother with him at Glade though because the tent was horribly rammed. Apparently the sound was shit anyway.

However though for me it's all about stuff like Shitmat and the rest of the Wrong Music artists. I absolutely love the humour in their music, and it's a nice antidote to a lot of the dreary po-facedness you get with electronic music. I saw him play at Glastonbury and he was probably the best thing I saw all weekend. If you want to listen to him I'd recommend Killababyloncutz or Hang the DJ. Ohhhh yes.

So, any Bang Facers in 'ere then?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Analrapist on July 24, 2007, 02:52:38 AM
However though for me it's all about stuff like Shitmat and the rest of the Wrong Music artists. I absolutely love the humour in their music, and it's a nice antidote to a lot of the dreary po-facedness you get with electronic music.

The comedy is awesome. Prime cuts are Shitmat sampling 'Walking In The Air' and 'There's No Business Like [DUBPLATE!] Business'... and Sickboy sampling Back To The Future in McFly Ain't Chicken. Also any samples Snares uses are usually inadvertently funny.
"This is a machine for making clouds."
"We make friends with childkiller."
"It's... just a pigeon."

Not to mention every single breakcore song/album title, ever.

Quote from: Analrapist on July 24, 2007, 02:52:38 AMDidn't bother with him at Glade though because the tent was horribly rammed. Apparently the sound was shit anyway.

I heard the whole Glade experience was rammed and shit.

hencole

Quote from: nagsworth on July 24, 2007, 04:08:32 AM

I heard the whole Glade experience was rammed and shit.

You heard from pussy people who probably left at the first drop of rain. That said the Glade organisers have still not realised that Overkill needs a much bigger tent. Soundwise I thought the festival got it spot on, though I realise I'm in a minority. I like to be able to talk to the people I'm dancing with and it was perfectly balanced.