Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:21:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Any breakcore fans?

Started by alan nagsworth, July 17, 2007, 05:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

8-man chalets have sold out so be sure to get in there soon if you're looking to accomodate large numbers. Jackson And His Computer Band and UK beatbox champion 06/07 Beardyman have also confirmed. Everytime I go to the site, I think "There'll be more confirmations but it could not get any better than it already is." Everytime I stand corrected.

boki

I think I probably already mentioned this a whole bunch of times (and I'm veering wildly off the breakcore topic now), but Beardyman totally pwned the shit out of Glade this year, so I shall goad myself into ridiculously unattainable levels of expectation for his BFW set.

dmillburn

Not sure if that's wise as I saw Beardyman last week at Heducation and was really disappointed. I'm a big fan of Beardyman as he's injected a bit of humour into beatboxing and showed tremendous promise but he was still doing the same old routines that I'd seen several times before (Golddigger etc) and he's not moved on since I saw him at the b-boy champs well over a year ago. They were great first time around but completely lose their impact a second or third time. I still think he's fantastic but to be honest I think Faith does that sort of straight vocal over a beat stuff better and Beardyman's d'n'b stuff just isn't as good Shlomo's yet so he's not quite the complete article yet (despite being 2 times champ!)

To be fair he was on with JFB in a UK DMC champ v UK beatboxing champ thing for part of his set which I never like - I should love something combining turntablism and beatboxing but instead it just ends up diluting it as it's heard to tell what Beardyman's doing and what coming from the DJ. Plus it's not for months yet so maybe we'll finally get a new routine

alan nagsworth

How could I have not listened to Ebola for so long? Someone answer me that.

I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that a lot of breakcore is pretty shit, setting out to achieve much more than is included in the finished product. Cardopusher and Sickboy, while having some great standout tracks, are for the most part boring, focusing on nothing but stupid samples and fucked up noise. Stupid samples and fucked up noise are quintessential with breakcore but they have to be used properly, and too many bedroom producers are slinging any old junk into the mix hoping for comical effect. Mostly the product is funny, but not enjoyable, and doesn;t last more than a couple of listens with me.

Ebola is quite different. His tunes can pretty much sum up breakcore and its proper use of the proper sounds: Chopping dramatic orchestral cuts from film scores and dramatic dialogue for intro's and mid-tune interludes, choosing only the meatiest cuts of rhythmic noise and slamming down the ruffest gabba, jungle and dubstep breaks you're ever likely to hear together on one record.

The Amen Break, whilst being the centre of the funky breaks/jungle/breakcore world, can definitely be worn thin, especially when artists like Shitmat use them as the one and only foreground break for whole albums at a time (Killababylonkutz is a load of tiresome bollocks and not in an ironically cool way). The opposite of killing the Amen Break is of course using it to devastating effect, and Ebola does just this on his Cannibal Penis Ballet* LP. He mixes it with other breaks and samples, as well as other styles mashed up instead of one big junglist mash up. Previewing it on Last.fm I expected more Killababylonkuts-style stuff but it really is a lot different, I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

Thank god he's the forerunner of Wrong Music, there's some great stuff on that label. But then there's also some shite... but hey that's breakcore for you!

* not a snide tag, actually the real album title

glitch

Don't suppose anyone's got space in a chalet? Noone my end of London wants to go, certainly not enough to fill a chalet and I'm going to be fucking irate* if I miss this weekender.

* understatement

alan nagsworth

Sup glitchy-boi. I've not got around to buying a ticket yet - surprised it's not totally sold out! I've had some setbacks with mates not being arsed as well, bastards don't love music enough to spend their money on a gig like this.

I still have one friend who really wants to go, and there's only 4- and 6-berth chalets left available. One more person and we're set to buy a chalet but quite which orifice I'm gonna produce the wonga from is another matter entirely. I'm pretty broke at the moment.

glitch

Quote from: nagsworth on February 21, 2008, 08:32:30 AM
Sup glitchy-boi. I've not got around to buying a ticket yet - surprised it's not totally sold out! I've had some setbacks with mates not being arsed as well, bastards don't love music enough to spend their money on a gig like this.

I still have one friend who really wants to go, and there's only 4- and 6-berth chalets left available. One more person and we're set to buy a chalet but quite which orifice I'm gonna produce the wonga from is another matter entirely. I'm pretty broke at the moment.

Keep me informed (I'll also sort out the hosting at the weekend, been a bit busy recently). One of my housemates might be up for it, want me to pressure him tonight?

alan nagsworth

Might be a good idea, but nothing's definite over my end of things yet, so I'll need to talk to my mate about if he's still serious about going. But yeah get your housemate involved, as much as I'm doubting the whole thing, I'd still give an arm and a leg to go.

boki

There's a nice big chalet-share thread here.

alan nagsworth

EEEEEUUUUURRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Mashup de place badman stylee.

BANG FACE WEEKENDER has come to a close although in my head it's still going, the last remnants of breakcore and acid funk dribbling out of my earsand my brain is drained of its vital fluids. What a fucking weekend. Seriously amazing! Stunning performances from Kid606, Squarepusher, Venetian Snares, Bogdan Raczynski, Ceephax Acid Crew, Luke Vibert, Beardyman, Vexkiddy and of course resident verbwhore Robot De Niro and his chum had the crowd in stitches with a fantastic comeback performance as Cassetteboy.

More inflatable objects than ravers, glowsticks literally in every nook and cranny you looked, fucking loud horns (and the security ambush that took place wherein the horns were CONFISCATED), pumping gabba hardcore/techno/dub blasting from every chalet, chemical suits and gas masks aplenty, fackin' MENTAL.

Another mad element was most of the artists were staying onsite so I was buying a Solero from the shop and Venetian Snares and Bong-Ra were stood behind me stocking up on commodities, Ceephax Acid Crew drinking beers in the sun.

This weekend was also a chance for me to finally meet some other verbwhores, namely sirs boki, Suttonpubcrawl and Analrapist. Good to see boki kneeling on the floor saying he was "LOOKING FOR HIS CONTACT LENSES SO HE COULD READ A BOOK", SPC hoovering discarded subtances off the floor and Analrapist... raping his poor mind with drugs probably.

Here's some pics and vids! ENJOY!

Cassetteboy performing their hilarious set.

Bucket & Spade Rave.

Squarepusher the six-string bass acid IDM titan.

This photo is the essense of Bang Face.

CHALET OF THE BEAST

Ceephax Acid Crew

Kid606

DEAR LORD, THE EYES!

boki during happier times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPNRAm4uyaM

Sunshine and good times - the view from our chalet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-nNSSI3ePA&feature=user

Amusement from Cassetteboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZbRsA_jcko&feature=user

Kid606 lays it down with some seriously dutty acid breaks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq9YgJtva5Q&feature=user

Venetian Snares, who played from about 3:30am till 5:00am... fucking insane, quite obviously one of the best sets of the weekend.

By the way, glitch and hencole, did you two attend aswell? The others said you were there but I thought surely not, as if you were you'd be a bit less ignorant and come drop us a line, say hello, come for a boogie, anything fer christ's sakes! Yous guys are a disgrace to the Bang Face Hard Crew.

Robot DeNiro

Ha, congratulations Nagsworth, you're the first person to leak any of our new material (I don't mind really).  You must have been right at the front to take that picture, I don't remember spotting you, but visibility in those masks isn't great.  It was a good gig from our point of view, although blimey those skin-tight polyester suits are hot.  It was certainly a much better gig than the one we had in Leeds on Friday night.  We didn't exactly get booed off, but that's only because we refused to leave the stage.  We had a few plastic glasses chucked at us, and a fairly constant chant of 'Off! Off! Off!' throughout the set.  Still, can't win 'em all.

It's a shame I didn't manage to meet up with any fellow 'whores at Bangface, but we didn't arrive until Saturday evening.  Still managed to have a great time though, I enjoyed Ceephax's pub set, and judging by that I can't say it's entirely surprising that you saw him drinking beers in the sun...

alan nagsworth

Aye, I was maybe 2 rows back from the front, only caught the last half hour, if that. I was watching Jackson And His Computer Band because I'd heard the Queen Vic schedule was running an hour late, but ventured down halfway through Jackson and lo and behold, dancing apemen. During Jackson my phone somehow raved its way out of my pocket but someone was kind enough to fix it (think it cracked open on the floor) and go into my 'recent calls' list, call the guy saved as 'Suttonpubcrawl' and inform him, so I had to go pick my phone up, meaning I missed even more Cassetteboy! But nevertheless what I saw I enjoyed a lot.

Ceephax's pub set was indeed good, but not in the conventional sense of the word. It was shit, in other words. Cheesy 80s crap mixed badly with Ceephax laughing like an idiot the whole way through, but typical Bang Face crowd takes nothing too seriously and ended up loving it.

I would've looked out for you Robot but obviously I don't know what you look like, haha. Would you have had to wore the mask if you met us, so we didn't call the police and report you for all your audio wrongdoings?

glitch

No, I couldn't make it. In the end when I had finally managed to get 4 people together for a chalet, they'd all gone. So I then start trying to grab people for forums, find an extra 2 and they'd all gone. I'm really, really pissed that I didn't go, as this was easily the best line-up of any festival (so far announced*) this year.

I'm so fucking jealous :(

The missus has demanded we go to the next Bangface though, so maybe see you there?

* I'm still holding out hope that Maschinenfest will come through with the goods

alan nagsworth

Oi hard crew?!?!

Bang Face Weekender 2009 is now looking rather fantastic once again, with part of the line-up now publically available and extra accommodation up for grabs. I didn't think I'd be able to afford it but I decided the cash I was saving up for crucial dental surgery/eye tests/glasses has been dusted off and is soon to be pumped into eBANG in order to reserve a chalet for me and my chumleys.

So, any other 'Whores going this time around? Any 'veterans' of the first year's fallout ready to get their tits blown off for a second time?

Confirmed acts so far include 808 State, Altern-8, Luke Vibert, Noisia, Venetian Snares, Bong-Ra, Caspa, Shitmat's last ever show under that name, Alec Empire, Wisp, Otto Von Schirach, Ceephax Acid Crew plus a lot more, and more still to be announced.

You know it's gonna be just as immense this time around, if not moreso now they know the tolerance of the venue and how to appease the staff and the ravers alike. Come on!!