Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:20:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ugh...searching for a racism-related post.

Started by emo_bliss, July 17, 2007, 03:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emo_bliss

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I stumbled across a message, presumably on General Bullshit, which talked a bit about the differences between racism against black people and racism against white people. I meant to save it in a Notepad document at the time, but totally forgot. What's more, the search function isn't helping me out all that much. Does anyone remember anything more about it, and if so, where can it be located?

Thanks.

Blumf

SetToStun

Quote from: Blumf on July 17, 2007, 04:15:27 PM
Don't know about the post you're after but you might be interested in this:
http://seamonkey.ed.asu.edu/~mcisaac/emc598ge/Unpacking.html

Good gravy: "all men oppress women, ergo all white people oppress 'people of color'. Therefore, even though I don't personally oppress anyone, I'm an oppressor".

Do some people really hate themselves that much? I have had several female bosses - was I oppressing them? As it happens, I think not. Do I oppress 'people of color' simply by being white? Well, no - I don't think so. I can't even say I go out of my way to not oppress women or minorities, simply because I don't ever find myself trying to oppress them in the first place.

And really, if this charming lady wants to post an academic treatise on the "all men/whites/whatever are" riff, she could at least proof read it, or get someone else to.

Blumf

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: Blumf on July 17, 2007, 04:15:27 PM
http://seamonkey.ed.asu.edu/~mcisaac/emc598ge/Unpacking.html

1990 Peggy McIntosh is doin' okay.

Wonder how 2007 Peggy McIntosh is doing... nope, no glass ceiling there by the look of it.

Oscar

Quote from: SetToStun on July 17, 2007, 04:34:32 PM
Good gravy: "all men oppress women, ergo all white people oppress 'people of color'. Therefore, even though I don't personally oppress anyone, I'm an oppressor".

Do some people really hate themselves that much? I have had several female bosses - was I oppressing them?
I bet you were, I bet you squashed them into a corner and flopped them with your man bits until they squeaked "Mr Stun is my hero!"
I know your type.

SetToStun

SetToStun

But seriously, though, is there any credibility at all to the notion that any member of a socially dominant group is automatically personally oppressing anyone who isn't a member of that group?

If I'm walking home from the pub and there's a group of aggressive youngsters hanging around, shouting and swearing at anyone who passes, should I deny that I feel threatened by them if they are largely from a minority group? Can I only criticize people of my own background, age and social status?

Why do people feel the need to cast themselves in the role of subconscious "ists"? Does it satisfy some "more right-on than thou" ("right-onier than thou" just sounded wrong) urge that some otherwise intelligent people seem to have?

And a question for the more academic 'whores here: when did this apparent need for mental sackcloth and ashes arise?