Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:11:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Those People That Obsess Over Their Weight...

Started by SOTS, July 18, 2007, 11:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Fuck that, get a wrecking ball and do everyone a favour.

</Jimmy Carr>

chumfatty

I'm a bit chubby, about 2-3 stone more than I should be. I'm 33 now and should be trying to lose it, I have a very demanding Job working long and unsociable hours at times and if I want a good pension I need to be doing this until I'm at the very least 60 years old.

Problem is I like my food, I exercise regularly and recently did a Half Marathon (i'm eating the other half later ha ha ha), but running all the time makes me ravenous. I know that a change in my diet would help the weight loss, but I'll have zero will power to follow any set diet so it has to be a gradual change. I have been 16st 4lbs for almost the last year barely ever shifting and I basically eat whatever I want, I know that a concerted effort on my part would work wonders.

But I'm happy, I have a girlfriend who adores me, Last proper health check I had (about 10 months ago) I was as fit as fiddle and I don't have a serious hang up about the way I look. But I do get jibes, even from people I run rings around on a 5-a-side pitch and they do get to you. I feel I need to lose weight in order fit in with some ideal image we should all aspire too, it's shit really, I have plenty of other qualities.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, just because someones a bit on the fat side doesn't mean they are couch potatoes who wheeze after getting to the top of their own doorstep. But I do need to reduce the weight before it becomes more difficult as I get older, as I'm sure it will soon start contributing to my health.

Small Man Big Horse

I was huge from a young age and always horribly unfit. I did get really thin around my early twenties, and managed to stay slim for about five years, but then I slowly put it all back on again. Part of it is comfort eating, but another part is that I have a serious chocolate addiction, I just don't feel right if I don't eat at least a little a day, and more often than not it's too much. The fact that I smoke weed makes it even worse, as self control goes out of the window around 2am. I've never made any excuses though, I blame myself completely for not having enough will power to get and stay healthy. Everything changed for a bit last year though, when I kept on getting chest pains. I changed my diet completely, began exercising regularly, and began losing weight to an extent I was quite happy with.

But I'm fucked now, after having the metal plate put in my leg I've been told I shouldn't do any exercise bar walking, my anti-depressants cause me to gain weight, and I've spent the last six months recovering in bed and eating a lot. The best I can hope for now is to get so fat they'll make a BBC documentary about me if I agree to undergo some horrifically dangerous surgery.

Little Hoover

Thing is, I'm quite skinny and I don't really watch my weight, I do try to have fairly balanced diet because it's healthy too, but I still snack quite a lot, there's quite a bit of crisps & chocolate and coke in my diet. but the thing is, I just generally don't have a very big appetite. So I find it quite hard to understand how people develop such mammoth appetites. I mean a small portion of chips, from my local shop seems as almost twice as much as I can manage.

Small Man Big Horse

It's just a cruel irony in that the more you eat, the bigger your appetite gets. Though I imagine it's partially due to your stomach expanding, and so the craving to fill it grows too. Or something like that.

Edit: My Aunt once said to me during my thin stage that she'd never hire a fat person as she sees obesity as a mental illness. I found that quite offensive, but due to family politics never said anything. But I think now that that obviously applies with certain overweight individuals, though I'm not sure whether to include myself in that category just yet, personally I see my own situation as a simple lack of will power, as mentioned above.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: ccab on July 18, 2007, 04:48:09 PM
fatness is certainly a choice in the majority of cases. It isn't a bystander, or a congential medical condition, or religious belief, or government agency, or the situation in Iraq, or the northern lights which orders them to swallow the entire trifle or breakfast on chips.

It's none of those things for a heroin addict either.  Do you say "it's their own fault, fuck 'em" to them too?

micanio

I've always been a bit porky but I joined Slimming World in March and I've lost nearly 2 stone. I've fallen off the bandwagon somewhat recently due to various shit but I'm still a bout a stone and half lighter than I was 4 months ago.

I still think its all a big con and I don;t think I'll be going back. I didn;t follow the plan for about a month and just was more careful about what I ate and I still managed to lose more than most of the other members. But some people need that kick up the arse and the help of a group (sounds shit, but it's so true) to be able to kickstart their weight loss.

MissInformed

Quote from: SOTS on July 18, 2007, 11:17:19 AM
Isn't it just tiresome listening to them?

A friend of mine, collecting her kids at the school gates got thoroughly sick of another mother's constant whinging. Despite the fact that she was clearly a size 10, without an ounce of spare fat on her, every day it would be "oh God, I'm getting so FAT. Just look at me! My bum is so big I'll not fit through the door!"

Of course, she was just attention seeking and invariably, someone would accommodate her with a remark such as "oh, don't be silly, you're lovely" etc.

Eventually, my friend, who by the way was a bit on the chubby side herself could take no more. When said woman started up with "oooh, I'm putting on SO much weight", my friend snapped "yeah, you are actually - you wanna watch yourself, you'll end up with an arse like mine!"

That put paid to the obssessing!

daisy11

On Monday, an obese woman lost her balance on the escalator up to Old Street station, and would have caused a disastrous domino effect but thankfully, there was this lovely strong 6 foot male (great biceps and gluteal muscles) who stopped her fall.  Since I was two down from her and would have been squashed (have a fear of this since a pile-up in a school corridor aged 6 when I had to bite the tummy of the boy on top of me very hard to get him off), I've developed rampant fattist feelings.

ccab

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on July 18, 2007, 11:59:22 PM
It's none of those things for a heroin addict either.  Do you say "it's their own fault, fuck 'em" to them too?

There's similarities, sure - using their wretchedness as a cautionary example etc. But other than that, being addicted to a powerful drug isn't really comparable to being a greedy slob.

Anyway, you're largely mistaking me. I'm saying "scoff at 'em", not "fuck 'em" - 'em being the fat greedy bastards.