Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:50:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Getting used to your own version of things

Started by El Unicornio, mang, July 20, 2007, 12:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Or, those times when you've had something that's copied in such a way that when you eventually hear or see the real thing it seems odd (tv shows, music, films, etc)

Some examples:

For years I had a copy of The Beatles red album taped off a scratched record. I since got the CD but whenever I hear 'Norweigan Wood' it sounds weird when it doesn't go:

"She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere
So I looked around and I no..[scratch].. chair"

I also had a copy of The Charlatans 'Up To Our Hips' which my friend copied onto a tape, but had to take off 'Feel Flows' to fit it onto 45 minutes. I only recently heard the album fully.

Similarly, I was surprised when I heard that The Stone Roses doesn't abruptly end halfway through a guitar solo

Also, I can't watch Trainspotting without expecting the scene before the night club to be rudely interrupted by a commercial for IKEA, and Jam isn't the same without the "THIS PROGRAMME FEATURES SCENES WHICH WILL DISTURB YOU" warning

[Edited to include other stuff]

Marvin

When I was a kid I used to tape a lot of stuff off Mary Ann Hobbs' shows and as such there are loads of tracks I still expect to hear Mary talking over the end of and saying 'awesome'.

buttgammon

When I imported 'Entertainment' by Gang of Four on my MP3 player from CD, it made a mess of ''Anthrax' and missed off the last 2 minutes of it meaning it ended really abruptly. I always thought it was meant to sound like that and I'm still slightly startled to hear it continue after a certain point.

Angst in my Pants

Another Beatles one - after many years of listening to my vinyl version of Sergeant Pepper, the CD now sounds peculiar as it doesn't include the line:

"It's wonderful to be [click] a thrill."

Ambient Sheep

First King Crimson album:

"I talk to the wind...my words [click] all carried away."

Also, on my original copy of Pink Floyd's Ummagumma, "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" had a major skip (two or three "grooves"?) in it during the slow build-up to the scream, so that suddenly it all got much louder with a jump.  The cool thing is that it was perfectly in time with the music, so it didn't really sound unnatural, just unnerving.  When I finally got myself a decent turntable / cartridge that managed to properly track through the scratch, it was weird hearing all this extra music I'd been missing for a few years.

pk1yen

I had a buggered up copy of Deloused in the Comatorium by the Mars Volta for a while, and all the tracks were in the wrong order, with some actually attached together. Which made the real album sound wrong when I bought it.

The downside of piracy, that.

Maybe there is some truth to all those adverts at the cinema ... maybe I am a 'Knock off Nigel' ... oh God, I'm going to lose all my friends and my girlfriend's going to leave. Shit.

petula dusty

I taped The Comic Strip 'Dirty Movie' off the TV but only got the second half and got so used to watching it like that I forgot that there was a first half missing. I watched the missing half a few weeks ago cue lots of 'I didn't know she was his wife!' and 'Ohh, so that's where the lobster came from' type stuff.

My sister did me a tape of Tea For The Tillerman many years ago and for some reason stuck Stairway To Heaven on the end so for a good few years and because I'm crap I thought STH was by Cat Stevens. I know, I know.

duckorange

I used to record stuff off the radio to save me having to spend my hard-earned paper-round money. Thanks to Tony Blackburn talking all over the ends of the songs, I still think a bunch of over-the-hill Brummies are known as "Durran Durran"

Famous Mortimer

I watched and taped "This Is Spinal Tap" one New Year's Eve as a youngster, so I'm always a bit surprised when I rewatch the DVD these days that "welcome to 1992!!" doesn't flash across the bottom of the screen when Nigel Tufnell is displaying his guitars.

Jemble Fred

I was disgusted that the DVD version of Trading Places contained Eddie Murphy yelling 'Get The Fuck Out!' when his part goes wrong, rather than 'Get –––––– out!' I was similarly shocked that the Beaks character told a woman to 'Fuck off' as opposed to just turning to her and saying 'off'. Doesn't seem right, I prefer my 'taped off ITV circa 1990' version.

Also, thanks to my brother's casette-construction, I thought for years that some of Kevin Bloody Wilson's best work was Dudley Moore doing an Australian accent for some reason – the other side of the tape being 'Come Again'.

duckorange

Quote from: Jemble Fred on July 20, 2007, 01:31:56 PM
I was disgusted that the DVD version of Trading Places contained Eddie Murphy yelling 'Get The Fuck Out!' when his part goes wrong, rather than 'Get –––––– out!' I was similarly shocked that the Beaks character told a woman to 'Fuck off' as opposed to just turning to her and saying 'off'. Doesn't seem right, I prefer my 'taped off ITV circa 1990' version.

I have the same problem with other films in Eddie Murphy's fine body of work. Frankly, I cannot watch any version of "Coming to America" which doesn't contain the wonderfully bowlderised insult "Forget you!"

JesusAndYourBush

Another Beatles one which I think I've mentioned before.

When I was a young kid listening to my parents records, one of them was the single of The Beatles - I Feel Fine and the needle jumped halfway through, and whenever I hear the song it always sounds wrong, and if I'm singing the song in my head or whatever I always hear the needle-jump version.

"Baby says she's mine, you know,
She tells me all the / said so."

Beil

I still expect my DVD of ALIEN to go to adverts, just after Ash gets his stupid synthetic head melted in.

I also downloaded a leaked version of Morrissey's latest album that someone had recorded, in-line from their PC media player - and at one point in one of the songs, the Windows Messenger sound rings, and after listening to it a few times I became quite used to, and even fond of it.  So it was quite disappointing when the album actually came out that it wasn't on there.

Go With The Flow

When my friend made me a CD-R of RHCP's By The Way the end of Can't Stop had a repeated line;

"This life is more than just a read through [buzz] read through"

It doesn't sound as good when I play the song on the CD I bought eventually.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Someone's already alluded to it in the tags there, but the censored version of Robocop on ITV was legendary, and it was genuinely (although only mildly) shocking when I finally saw the uncut version, particularly the bit where the baddy gets doused in toxic waste.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I used to own the Sex Pistols' Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle soundtrack on cassette. The tape was twisted at one point, meaning that halfway through Malcolm McLaren's spoken intro you heard a backwards burst of him singing You Need Hands. And of course vice versa.

It worked really brilliantly, and for a while I thought it was a genuine/clever effect. Hearing it on CD, I'm always a bit annoyed that it isn't there.

Go With The Flow

Beck

Heh, what was the second one? Something about 'grappled eggs'...?

Paaaaul

Quote from: Beck on July 22, 2007, 02:02:56 AM
Heh, what was the second one? Something about 'grappled eggs'...?

"when you feed your children scrambled eggs"

Goldentony

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 21, 2007, 08:26:11 PM
Someone's already alluded to it in the tags there, but the censored version of Robocop on ITV was legendary, and it was genuinely (although only mildly) shocking when I finally saw the uncut version, particularly the bit where the baddy gets doused in toxic waste.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1wwzDP9rd5c

That's some of the edits, doesn't look like all of them though, or the ITV version because i'm certain ITV had the scene with the armerd robber screaming "Fun me!! ohhh Fun Me!!"

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Nah, he definitely shouted "Why me!" in the ITV version.

Goldentony

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 22, 2007, 03:31:32 PM
Nah, he definitely shouted "Why me!" in the ITV version.

Ahh balls, wonder where the fuck i got "Fun Me!!" from.

I wish the new Robocop 20th anniversary thing would take a few notes from the guys behind the Scarface's DVD release and stick a feature on the TV versions of the film on there. The Scarface one is so absurd it's incredible.

mcbpete

I had a crappy realplayer downloaded version of Orb's Orbus Terrarum which had a version of Slug Dub which went on for about 5 minutes longer than the CD version I eventually got (which just fades out about half way through the story).

I've also got a downloaded version of a DJ set type thing from Farmer's Manual, the version must have been recorded on the lowest quality tape but added so much to the atmosphere of the set. Like some lost archive recording discovered thousands of years in the future.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: mcbpete on July 22, 2007, 05:01:10 PM
I had a crappy realplayer downloaded version of Orb's Orbus Terrarum which had a version of Slug Dub which went on for about 5 minutes longer than the CD version I eventually got (which just fades out about half way through the story).

It pissed me off that the CD is truncated as you never hear what happens at the end of the story, where little Tim's friend eats all the slugs. That's not the only track that's been slimmed down by a few minutes to fit it onto the CD either.

Clinton Morgan

I have a VHS copy of Howard Hawks' 'His Girl Friday' (the one with the old yellow movie poster on the cover) and the print quality is so screwed up with a white line down the side and the black and white cinematography is so grey and murky it looks like it has been projected onto a puddle. When the same film (with crystal clear quality) was shown on television I went into denial. "No! This isn't 'His Girl Friday'. They've made it look new! The version when it was looking old was better." Same when I see 'Frankenstien' (1931) if it doesn't have the missing frames after 'He's alive! He's alive!' and before Dr Frankenstien is grabbed I feel quite odd.

Last night I was watching this
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3VI0KTROt4[/youtube]
The CD does not have Hilary Sturt saying in a dopey voice, "Nu-perfect America".

Speaking of chewed up tapes my brother had 'Gosh It's Bad Manners' on tape which I listened to constantly and as a result the tape twisted. I would listen to 'Gerkin' backwards and thought it was more brilliant than the forward version as it became more weird and unsettling.

niat

My tape of Prince's The Black Album was a copy of a copy of etc. etc. and somewhere along the line it had sped up quite a bit. When they eventually released it on CD, I was shocked to hear how slow it sounded, and how Prince's falsetto wasn't quite as high pitched as I'd previously thought.