Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:58:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Floody floods

Started by Marvin, July 20, 2007, 05:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marvin

The village I live in is really badly flooded, at the moment our house is ok but the garden is a raging torrent of water so it's a close call, and we've just been out and about helping some neighbours, 18 houses flooded nearby.

My sister's nearby in Cheltenham and has been watching cars floating down her road in the centre of town.

And it's still bloody raining! So it's just getting worse.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Nice and sunny where I live. Just rubbing it in.

Emma Raducanu

Yep, we're in the midst of a hosepipe ban here.

Marvin

A local main road earlier:

I'm having trouble uploading my photos but will try and show you some a bit later.

Marvin

Quote from: DolphinFace on July 20, 2007, 06:30:24 PM
Yep, we're in the midst of a hosepipe ban here.

Oh so are we actually, luckily our plants are quite well watered today though. Most of them are also halfway down the road, but nicely watered nonetheless.

SOTS

It is seldom the case, but at the moment, Scotland is one of the more pleasant places to be in the UK. Weather-wise, at least.

Dusty Gozongas

Looks like a chaotic night/week/month/year ahead there Marvin.  I don't envy you :(

Paaaaul

I live in Cheltenham and work in Gloucester. It took me 4 hours to get home this evening, instead of the usual 15 minutes. I went through at least 8x foot deep lakes to get home.
Roads are littered with abandoned cars
So many people are acting like cunts and ignoring roundabouts and traffic lights, and are bombing through the deep water at 40mph endangering everyone around them. One twat caused a "wave" to hit my windscreen, not just spray, a fucking wave.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI live in Cheltenham and work in Gloucester

I work at Cheltenham & Gloucester.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 20, 2007, 08:51:50 PM
I work at Cheltenham & Gloucester.

Fucking Satanic company.

(me too)

Marvin

I used to, is that in Barnwood then Paul? I worked in Barnwood 2 for awhile.

Fuck, just heard from my sister that the water has started coming through her floor (she owns a basement flat). I couldn't get to Cheltenham to help if I wanted to at the moment, but it's worry, especially as she has 6 kittens at the moment and 4 cats.

John Self

I did a really, really, really big wee today.

Say what you like, but it's hardly helping matters, is it?

I almost feel guilty now.

Marvin

You bastard! That's why it smells so much as well.

(that cats are being safely evacuated for any girls who may be reading and concerned)

Paaaaul

Quote from: Marvin on July 20, 2007, 09:37:33 PM
I used to, is that in Barnwood then Paul? I worked in Barnwood 2 for awhile.

Fuck, just heard from my sister that the water has started coming through her floor (she owns a basement flat). I couldn't get to Cheltenham to help if I wanted to at the moment, but it's worry, especially as she has 6 kittens at the moment and 4 cats.

I'm in BW1.With the big boys.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/content/image_galleries/july_floods_gallery.shtml?13

Loads of photos there, the first one you see is the extreme in Cheltenham (yes, Swindon village is in Cheltenham, not Swindon)

weekender

"Aye, I've put me fuckin shoes in me fuckin bag.  You gorra lerrus into this club or wha?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/content/images/2007/07/20/cheltsteve2_470x300.jpg

THAT'S NOT FLOODING, THAT'S JUST A BIT WET!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/content/images/2007/07/20/july_floods_5_250x300.jpg

God help them if the watermonsters from the underworld attack.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/content/images/2007/07/20/quay4_470x300.jpg

Oh come on, I have sympathy, why don't you get some perspective.  It's not *my* fault.

Marvin

Quote from: Paaaaul on July 20, 2007, 10:53:38 PM
I'm in BW1.With the big boys.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/content/image_galleries/july_floods_gallery.shtml?13

Loads of photos there, the first one you see is the extreme in Cheltenham (yes, Swindon village is in Cheltenham, not Swindon)

A friend of mine works in BW1 now. Well, not now. During the day.

We should have a mini-meet in Cheltenham, Timmay are you still in these parts?

Most amusing sight of the evening: a small shoal of fish swimming down the main road between Tewkesbury and Evesham.

Marvin

The main annoyance is it was my bloody day/night off and I'm supposed to have been at three seperate pub-based social occasions. All were a total washout.

I had to take a raincheck.

Hobes

For anyone that needs them, the relevant District Council should have a supply of sand bags (although you might have to buy the actual sand) get on the phone now, before they run out!

Oh, and phone the County Council to get the Gulley jetter out to blast the gulleys (drains) as they'll all be silted up now. There'll be a huge back-log, but you may as well get your street in the queue.

rudi

How goes it now Marvin?

It was supposed to hurl down all day here, but we've appeared to have dodged the bullet.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Grumbegrumble, we got flooded way before you, we were there in the early days, you band-wagon jumping scenesters.

Starlit

Quote from: John Self on July 20, 2007, 09:39:22 PM
I did a really, really, really big wee today.

Say what you like, but it's hardly helping matters, is it?

I almost feel guilty now.

This made me laugh out loud, and because I was wearing headphones I think I may have laughed a bit too loud.

The Widow of Brid

We had to travel to Leicestershire* (from Bristol) today and we were going past partially submerged trees at one point. Trees!
They were about two thirds or so underwater, we were impressed.

*still there, in fact, if anyone fancies an opportunistic burglary.

Marvin

I'm temporarily working as bar manager at the moment, and managed to get into work, by driving 15 miles to a pub/hotel a mile away. Some great stories from people there. 50 people slept in the bar last night, one of the regulars had to rescue a bride and her family trapped in a church with his tractor, out the front of the pub yesterday they saw 20 odd caravans float past on the main road.

Tewkesbury, a town in Gloucestershire, is literally an island and the moment, absolutely no way in or out, and two of the bridges have literally been entirely swept away.

I feel insensitve saying it, but really, it's great fun.

Tried to get to Reading yesterday which was some experience.  Had to try four different routes before being able to find a road which wasn't closed.

It is completely dry here, I live on a one in four hill so all the rain just washes down the hill in a minature river, down into the swollen River Wey.  Crossing the road is a bit of a job though, get your measurements wrong and you get very wet.

Anyone actually suffered from water getting into the house?  One local pub's floorboards have warped due to the water.  One of my mates came home to a house with two inches of water covering the ground floor.  The basement at my work flooded.  Instead of getting flooded, I'm sure my house is more likely to be washed down the hill!

daisy11

Quote from: Marvin on July 22, 2007, 02:31:01 AM

Tewkesbury, a town in Gloucestershire, is literally an island and the moment, absolutely no way in or out, and two of the bridges have literally been entirely swept away.

And there'll be no drinking water soon which is clearly laughable news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/6910559.stm

For all you living in London - you must admit that it really is refreshing to come out of the suffocating, crammed Underground to a lovely hard downpour.

rudi

It's been glorious here today.

We even took a drive into the countryside to drink outdoors.

Funny old world innit?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Avon and the Severn are really shit rivers aren't they? Very unruly. No other country would standby and allow their channels to be so wayward and loose, they'd close the rivers down and privatise their water cycle. Blair's Britain.

Abbie

We have no water here in Cheltenham today - i've got some saucepans full and a bit in the bath but that's it. I didn't bother to shop for bottled water yesterday...my friend tells me fights were breaking out in Tesco and the shelves were empty by the afternoon. Sounds like power may be off soon too.

On the plus side, I don't have to go to work (Gloucester) until this is all sorted out. The Severn has burst it's banks there and as I work at the docks it's a no go area.

Oh, and it's raining.

duckorange

I was inconvenienced in a minor way on Friday - it took me three hours to get out of Reading, and once I did, I accidentally left my car window down going through a flooded bit just outside Basingstoke.

Result: tidal wave from a passing lorry, and four inches of water in the footwell of my car.

Yesterday, I went to the beach at Weymouth and got sunburned. Funny old etc etc etc