Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:35:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

And We Don't Care About The Young Folks...

Started by SOTS, July 20, 2007, 06:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SOTS

These new driving rules then... no passengers for anyone under twenty five between 11pm and 5am. So much for driving anywhere overnight.

And the whole having to wait until you are eighteen to do the test. That would fuck over a lot of my friends who are starting to learn when they turn seventeen but are planning to go off to uni before they turn eighteen. That as well as the fact that you have to learn for a year.

I know it's meant to be for the safety of the roads but I can't help but feel it's yet another case of the government tarring an entire section of society with the same brush.

What's the general opinion then?

Jemble Fred

Ideally the age should be raised to 35. And of course a license should cost in the region of half a million pounds.

Unless of course you apply to become the driver of one of the new enormous hybrid double-decker coaches that ferry the population around for affordable prices.

Sorry, getting a bit ahead of myself there. That's not going to happen for... years (Daydreaming...)

But yeah – there are already too many cars on the road, so anything that makes it more difficult has to be good. Alternatively, of course, we could just slowly kill the world.

Ooh 'ark at 'im and 'is 'ippy bullshit!

Hank_Kingsley

I think it's a typically silly over reaction which is just going to give the police extra work and curtail even more civil liberties.

However, since I don't drive  I don't really give a monkeys. Plus I already envy the young greatly so sod 'em. But if there's a petition going i'll sign it or something.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm old and the yoofs of today fill me with fear, so I think it's a terrible idea, it means another year of them hanging around shops and parks instead of driving around recklessly and killing families of four.

On a more serious note, it seems pretty stupid to me, like SOTS mentions it'll mean that a lot of people won't be able to afford to learn to drive until they leave university, but even then might struggle what with all the debts that they've accrued by that point.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

It's just totally unworkable. What happens if you set off at 10.30pm on a journey that you think will last 25 minutes but in fact lasts 45 minutes? Do those under 25 have to chuck out any passengers and tell them to make their own way?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThat as well as the fact that you have to learn for a year.

You gotta do what? That's a bollocks rule, people can be ready for their test in months if they have enough lessons and take to driving quickly.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on July 20, 2007, 08:12:46 PM
It's just totally unworkable. What happens if you set off at 10.30pm on a journey that you think will last 25 minutes but in fact lasts 45 minutes? Do those under 25 have to chuck out any passengers and tell them to make their own way?

Yes, it is eccentric to say the least. Something obviously has to be done to drastically cut down the amount of cars on the road, but this is a very silly way to do things. There needs to be a clearer, far more draconian ruling, none of this pissing about.

Then again, until there's a decent, streamlined sexy and affordable public transport alternative, there's little chance of anything decisive happening.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

We could just accept the number of deaths on the road, of course, and carry on the way we are.

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on July 20, 2007, 08:12:46 PM

I imagine on the whole that it would be enforced with some common sense for the most part. Not that I necessarily totally agree with the idea.

Neil

*whistles*

Slight detour, but ever see this, SOTS?  I thought it was sad that there were so many people shouting "VIRAL!!" on the comments, but then found I couldn't decide if it was or not myself.  Some of it was really weird.  I just think it's a real shame that there IS viral marketing, cause this guy could have been suffering very badly with OCD or something, and yet he's just got smart-arses screaming "VIRAL!!" at him instead of trying to help him out.

P K Duck

One of the only fun things about being young and cool is bombing around in your first rubbish car packed full of friends on the way to the pub after A-levels.

This sort of thing won't sort out the road problems, it's just a sign that the government acknowledges the fact that a third of the voting population is over 60 now, so they don't dare suggest mandatory re-tests for dangerous old giffers instead.

See, if you young uns got out and voted... actually, it would make little difference, as the old gits would still outnumber you. So I guess you should all stop helping old grannies across the road, even out the demographics a little.

P K Duck

Umm... speaking of virals, someone on that blog called Amit leads us to something interesting... or was that what you were saying Neil?

Jemble Fred

Quote from: P K Duck on July 20, 2007, 08:57:25 PM
One of the only fun things about being young and cool is bombing around in your first rubbish car packed full of friends on the way to the pub after A-levels.

hehe, this is tongue in cheek, yes? Because otherwise that has to go straight in the 'Bleakest things..' thread. Blood-chilling stuff!

P K Duck

Yes I'm joshing, but still, you know, it was pretty cool that first summer. Now you'll have to wait until Uni and by that time you'll either be broke or too jaded to enjoy the simple pleasures of a gearstick wrenching out of its socket on the M1, and everyone taking the piss instead of praying we don't all die.

Neil

Quote from: P K Duck on July 20, 2007, 09:01:57 PM
Umm... speaking of virals, someone on that blog called Amit leads us to something interesting... or was that what you were saying Neil?

What does it lead you to?  I've tried to work it out, but can't, I eventually just found some link that didn't work. 

A lof of the commenters thought the blog itself was a reverse-psychology viral, meant to raise awareness of the band and suchlike.  The bit I found most odd was when this guy - who was trying to stop them playing in America - made a public appeal for one of their guitars to be returned when it was nicked at a show. 

P K Duck

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvkeK6_Yu0[/youtube]

Re: the viral within the viral... maybe I was mistaken...

Neil

Ah ok...odd coincidence.  Not a fan of Lee & Herring, but it's a pretty good bit that.

P K Duck

Hmm... okay, so it's not a subtle game after all... *ahem*

petula dusty

So how come young'ns can afford to learn to drive when they are 17 but wouldn't be able to afford it when they go to Uni?

SOTS

A lot of my friends got lessons as a present from the family. I'll be able to do lessons because my granny gave me a bulk sum to put towards them.

George Oscar Bluth II

No passengers after 11pm? What what what?

Blumf

Quote from: petula dusty on July 21, 2007, 02:09:15 PM
So how come young'ns can afford to learn to drive when they are 17 but wouldn't be able to afford it when they go to Uni?

When you're at uni the chances are you're renting as opposed to mooching off the parents, tends to add a strain on your bank account.

Stupid idea anyway, it's just delaying the problem (lack of experience) rather than fixing it.

fanny splendid

This kind of law just stops the idiots from killing themselves.

Bad law.

Little Hoover

Hang on, maybe I'm just being really thick here, but if anything won't this law, make the roads busier, if under 25's aren't allowed passengers, they'll just try to get there own car and all drive around seperatley to the same location, and just have to risk driving under the influence, because they won't be allowed to be driven around by a friend who doesn't drink.

chocky909

Quote from: Little Hoover on July 21, 2007, 03:22:51 PM
Hang on, maybe I'm just being really thick here, but if anything won't this law, make the roads busier, if under 25's aren't allowed passengers, they'll just try to get there own car and all drive around seperatley to the same location, and just have to risk driving under the influence, because they won't be allowed to be driven around by a friend who doesn't drink.

Great point. So much for the car pool concept.

hands cold, liver warm

more road safety = less deaths = more people = over stretch of global resources = less pizza pie for me

Jemble Fred

I still don't see why anybody feels it's their God-given right to steer a tonne of fucking metal filled with highly inflammable liquid around the country at high speeds, no matter what their age is. Automobiles have only been around a century or so, and look at the damage they've done. Isn't it desirable that the world starts to wake up to just how much change is needed in our attitude to transport?

You know that scene that begins The Comic Strip's 'GLC', in which Keith Allen announces that cars have been made illegal? That's the dream. I realise that too little is being done to provide a realistic alternative right now, but it pisses me off that people feel they need a car, a driver's licence, a place on the world's motorways. Young people especially should be dissuaded from adding to the multitude of cars on the road.

Not that I'm giving the thumbs up to this one mad piece of legislation, mind.

Fielding

For the record these are the propasals here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6904821.stm

As you can see the carrying passengers bit would only apply to passengers aged between 10 and 20. So young drivers needn't worry: you can still pick up your best mate's red hot MILF of a mum up for the date in your '96 Corsa.

I don't think raising the age will have much affect. Inexperience can only be over come by gaining experience. The passenger bit, I can see the logic behind it: trying to stop those idiot boys who wank over 2fast 2furious from taking out another few with them when they crash. But it's still going to inconvenience other people.

petula dusty

Quote from: SOTS on July 21, 2007, 02:29:06 PM
A lot of my friends got lessons as a present from the family. I'll be able to do lessons because my granny gave me a bulk sum to put towards them.
Quote from: Blumf on July 21, 2007, 02:34:18 PM
When you're at uni the chances are you're renting as opposed to mooching off the parents, tends to add a strain on your bank account.

If the lessons were going to be paid for by family anyway why can't they just give you the money a year later?

I paid for my lessons myself at 17 and I was only earning £35 a week (lessons were £10) but I didn't pay any board so I suppose my Mum was paying for them indirectly. I didn't take my test anyway and I only got round to taking my theory test last year. Now I can't afford to take lessons and a test and if I don't do it by next April I'll have to pay for another theory test.

I get by ok on public transport but it's a pain if I want to visit family or take the children on holiday or even just do 'a big shop'. 

Anyway delaying it by a year isn't going to make much difference to those bad idiots being targetted. They'll just be wankers who are a year older.

lactating man nips

I pretty much agree with Jemble Fred about cars. The way things are at the moment is totally unsustainable. Unfortunately if you don't live in a big city the public transport on offer is often unsatisfactory. I hope I don't need to move away from London in the future as I may then be forced to get a car.