Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:26:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

And We Don't Care About The Young Folks...

Started by SOTS, July 20, 2007, 06:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: P K Duck on July 20, 2007, 09:40:07 PM
Hmm... okay, so it's not a subtle game after all... *ahem*

Sorry, I guess my comments must have seemed, like, toetally RANDUMB!  Especially to an old pissbag-wearing codger like you, Grandad.  The thread title is referencing this song by Peter, Bjorn and John:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51V1VMkuyx0[/youtube]

Will check that Lost thing out in a bit, thanks!

Godzilla Bankrolls

A side point:

I'm always amazed by people of various ages (although I find it unforgivable in those 16) who find the idea of walking for more than 20 minutes at a time such a hardship. Those magnificent things you've got thanks to millions of years of evolution can sustain you over many many miles - use them!

People in rural areas are going to be a bit fucked if these proposals come in, aren't they? Good old the free markets, closing down post offices and banks.

John Self

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on July 21, 2007, 07:51:38 PM
Those magnificent things you've got thanks to millions of years of evolution can sustain you over many many miles - use them!

You're talking about Oystercards, aren't you? Well I use mine, my conscience is clear.

Cack Hen

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on July 21, 2007, 07:51:38 PM
A side point:

I'm always amazed by people of various ages (although I find it unforgivable in those 16) who find the idea of walking for more than 20 minutes at a time such a hardship. Those magnificent things you've got thanks to millions of years of evolution can sustain you over many many miles - use them!

That bugs me too. If I'm ging somewhere and it's about 45 minutes away (for example) and I say that I'm walking, the person will inevetibaly say "oh, really? oh dear" or "oh don't be silly, I can give you a lift!" which is nice and all, but it does seem odd that it's almost universally seen as an ordeal that you've got to go through. Walking for ages is tiring, but I like walking because I can listen to music as I go and there's just something quite satsifying about taking yourself to your destination and back again. Another one is walking for no reason, just to wander about. There's a whole world out there, is it so crazy to want to just walk about it?! Not that I go anywhere that interesting, but still!

P K Duck

Well... yeah... but driving is cool, always has been, always will be, a bit like smoking. And if they take it away from young people, it'll stop being cool, as everyone knows you stop being cool after about the age of 23...

Good song btw, but don't let that stop it being cool for anyone else.

Still Not George

It's just a legal pretext for arresting boy racers, isn't it? I would have thought that was obvious.

Small Man Big Horse

From that BBC web page:

QuoteLauren Coles, 18, from Spalding in Lincolnshire, told the BBC News website: "This is stupid. I've been driving over a year now and I need my driving licence because I live in the middle of nowhere.

"I've lost two friends in accidents but I wouldn't change the law on the driving age."

Such a mercenary reaction...and how many other friends will she "lose" before her licence is taken away?!