Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:56:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Words you can't deliver effectively...

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 21, 2007, 08:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

'wankers'

No matter how long I linger on the 'w', it always fails to obtain the impact I hope for. I'm much better off with the more audibly explosive 'tossers' with my untamed northern mess of a voice.

'hilarious'

If you ever catch me telling you something is hilarious, I'll bet you immediately think "God, I bet it's anything but." I just sound like a boyish Alan Partridge saying 'hilarious'. I haven't quite worked out which words I'd be better off using to convince someone of a things comedic value.

chocky909

I'm pretty good at bending most 'inappropriate' words into my own stylee but I've always had a problem with the word 'ass'. I just can't get the balance right between accents. Maybe because an 'ass' in a British accent is a donkey so you have to put a bit of a US slant and say 'Ah-yes' and I hate Americanism unless I subvert them by saying them in a stupid English accent. Anyway, 'arse' is a massively superior word as I'm sure you'll all agree.

Tokyo Sexwhale

I'm embarrassingly inefficient at dealing with literally millions of words.

That's because I'm a postman!

P Pat, Greendale.

Emma Raducanu

My voice sounds like something created by a collection of objects found in a backstreet, so I deliver every word in a way people prefer not to hear.

Starlit

Quote from: chocky909 on July 21, 2007, 08:50:40 PM
I'm pretty good at bending most 'inappropriate' words into my own stylee but I've always had a problem with the word 'ass'. I just can't get the balance right between accents. Maybe because an 'ass' in a British accent is a donkey so you have to put a bit of a US slant and say 'Ah-yes' and I hate Americanism unless I subvert them by saying them in a stupid English accent. Anyway, 'arse' is a massively superior word as I'm sure you'll all agree.

I really like the insult 'ass hat', but the way that I say it just sounds rubbish. 'Arse hat' just doesn't seem to work.  In every other situation I'd agree that arse shits all over ass.

Sovereign

I cannot, for the love of god, pronounce the word particularly or ridiculous. Partickuly and ridickalus is how I tend to pronounce them. Infact any words with that combination of letters fucks me over. Is it a yorkshire accent thing or am I just a spazz?

buttgammon

My mum can't pronounce "Accessories". She calls them "assessories" and does the same with every other 'cc' sound.

Little Hoover

It's both, Sovereign .

Anyway I think there's lots of them for me but nothing specfic comes to mind at the moment. But I think my voice doesn't suit any of the words I tend to use, I've not listened to it in a few years though, so maybe it doesn't sound as crap, now I've left teenhood.

The thing is, I not only don't pronounce words properly, I think I don't quite deliver things in the tone I think I'm doing it in. because I remember seeing tapes of my performances in g.c.s.e drama, I was just horrified by my performance, I was just so dull, monotonous and whiny, nothing like how I thought I was sounding.

Robot Devil

Until I was 19, I pronounced the word "available" as "avaidable" and thought I was correct. Nowaays, I pronounce the word "available" as "avaidable", because I physically find it very difficult to pronounce right, but with added feelings of inadequacy and shame.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I spent most of my childhood saying 'Cadburys' 'Cavvries' and 'Stereo' 'stare-io'. Those wankstains taught me, I inherited their flaws!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: buttgammon on July 22, 2007, 12:59:56 AM
My mum can't pronounce "Accessories". She calls them "assessories" and does the same with every other 'cc' sound.
Is your mum Super Nanny?

Stop changing the thread. It's supposed to be about ineffective delivery not bad pronounciation. Don't you understand? No more 'chimleys' or 'skellingtons' please. Neil, tell them.

Example. Someone mentioned a while ago on another thread that they avoid using the word 'hi' as a greeting because (they imagine) it makes them sound like "a plummy English schoolgirl". I, on the other hand, enjoy using that word for that very same reason.

buttgammon

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 22, 2007, 02:10:52 AM
Is your mum Super Nanny?

The funny thing about is that my mum watches Supernanny and mentions how weird her pronounciations are. I don't think she quite realises how bad her pronounciation is.

chocky909

Quote from: chocky909s dad on July 22, 2007, 02:14:07 AM
Stop changing the thread. It's supposed to be about ineffective delivery not bad pronounciation. Don't you understand? No more 'chimleys' or 'skellingtons' please. Neil, tell them.

Example. Someone mentioned a while ago on another thread that they avoid using the word 'hi' as a greeting because (they imagine) it makes them sound like "a plummy English schoolgirl". I, on the other hand, enjoy using that word for that very same reason.

I agree.

Marvin

Quote from: chocky909 on July 21, 2007, 08:50:40 PM

Yeah, I literally cannot say ass, but it's a shite word anyway and any Englishman using it is cleary and inutterable arse.

I have a weird and complete inability to pronounce a soft 'th' sound. Three is 'free' etc, the worst being other which I can only pronounce 'uzzer'. I literally CANNOT change this though, god knows I've tried. As a teenager I did actually, somewhat embarrassingly, have 'speech' lessons as I used to perform monologue readings and things in the Cheltenham Festival of Speech and Drama, and my teacher just couldn't change it and eventually just gave up and called me a freak.

Dark Sky

I've been told I use the word "actually" too much, but I guess I'm quite good at saying it so that's irrelevant to this thread.

I tried to use the word "dissing" earlier today and it felt really out of place.  I've started saying "cool" and am getting used to it, but I've never plucked up the courage to say "cheers" or "mate".  I doubt I'll ever manage those ones.

buttgammon

OK. I always end up saying "Good afternoon" in an inappropriate voice which makes me sound either sarcastic or insane so I never say it.

I'm another heavy user of the word 'cool' as well.

Saygone

"indicative" I just don't know how to say it.  In-dick-ative or inde-cative?  And it comes up more than you would expect.

Uncle Gripper

you are all, or have become, gay as fuck.

who can can pronounce that ?

over and out..

Well, if this is about ineffective delivery rather than pronunciation, then I have to confess that I can't really say my own surname correctly.  Whenever I say my name to people, they think my surname is Mellor.  It isn't.  I just don't know why I can't say my own surname properly, it's not like it's an unusual word or anything like that.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Saygone on July 22, 2007, 04:07:13 AM
"indicative" I just don't know how to say it.  In-dick-ative or inde-cative?  And it comes up more than you would expect.

The former.

While I applaud the patriotism of avoiding the word 'ass', when pronounced with the correct country bumpkin emphasis on the 'aaa', it's easily the equal of 'arse'. Actually, even a short 'aa' sound works, in a northern brogue.

God I'm bored. And it's too early to start work.

NoSleep

Quote from: Marvin on July 22, 2007, 02:19:04 AMI have a weird and complete inability to pronounce a soft 'th' sound. Three is 'free' etc, the worst being other which I can only pronounce 'uzzer'. I literally CANNOT change this though, god knows I've tried. As a teenager I did actually, somewhat embarrassingly, have 'speech' lessons as I used to perform monologue readings and things in the Cheltenham Festival of Speech and Drama, and my teacher just couldn't change it and eventually just gave up and called me a freak.

You can't pronounce it "uvver". bruv?

Little Hoover

My names quite hard to deliver in full, because my first name ends with n and my surname starts with n ( I have no middle name) And so I have to try and make sure if I'm telling people, I make a clear distinction between, but when I try to speak loud and clear, I think it makes me sound quite angry and sarcastic.

mister_enmity

I can't pronounce "specific" without extending the "s" sound at the beginning. So it comes off like "pissss-cific".

All Surrogate

Quote from: Little Hoover on July 22, 2007, 12:13:47 PMMy names quite hard to deliver in full, because my first name ends with n and my surname starts with n ( I have no middle name) And so I have to try and make sure if I'm telling people, I make a clear distinction between, but when I try to speak loud and clear, I think it makes me sound quite angry and sarcastic.
Take a tip from Khosa, and add a click to separate e.g. John !Newton.

chocky909

I hate quite dislike telling people my surname. I think it sounds too posh and I always manage to mumble it resulting in a request for repetition where I overly and angrily pronounce it. This is always followed by, "Ooh! Are you related to the chocolate shop people?".

chocky909

Quote from: Lookalike Mark Chapman on July 22, 2007, 01:24:38 PM
Your surname isn't Wonka, is it?

Dang, rumbled.

EDIT that delivery of 'dang' was pretty poor I reckon.

Starlit

Quote from: Dark Sky on July 22, 2007, 02:19:58 AM

I tried to use the word "dissing" earlier today and it felt really out of place.  I've started saying "cool" and am getting used to it, but I've never plucked up the courage to say "cheers" or "mate".  I doubt I'll ever manage those ones.

I did once spit out the word 'mate' as an insult when it was obvious that I meant anything but. Otherwise 'mate', 'pal', 'dude', 'chum' and the like are words that I steer well clear of because I know that any attempt by me to utter them will reveal me to be a complete and utter fraud.
Also, I can't seem to say 'compromise' without spitting it out like a cyst in a burger.

daisy11

Particularly.  It's the 'larly' part that I find difficult, but an actor friend is helping me overcome this disability, although his methods of tuition are unconventional, ahem.