Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,473
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:27:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Words you can't deliver effectively...

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 21, 2007, 08:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

chocky909

Goldentony

I used to pronounce Hyperbole as Hyper Bowl. I've been assured i wasn't the only one but i could have been lied to.

daisy11

Quote from: Jemble Fred on July 22, 2007, 02:40:57 PM
He's not in Les Miserables, is he?

Sshurely you don't need to be an actor to be in that.

Can we have a consensus on subsequently and sub siquently, is the latter an Americanism.

Fry

Whenever I try to sat any word that ends in -ike it comes out a -oike.
And I can't say Pyramids, it sounds like 'Pewrmids'.

But I've got much better, I used to be suh a bad speaker.

NoSleep

Quote from: Starlit on July 22, 2007, 01:46:24 PM
I did once spit out the word 'mate' as an insult when it was obvious that I meant anything but. Otherwise 'mate', 'pal', 'dude', 'chum' and the like are words that I steer well clear of because I know that any attempt by me to utter them will reveal me to be a complete and utter fraud.
Also, I can't seem to say 'compromise' without spitting it out like a cyst in a burger.

Pal & Chum both used to be brands of dog food, so were often used to express disdain towards another.

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: Goldentony on July 22, 2007, 02:53:10 PM
I used to pronounce Hyperbole as Hyper Bowl. I've been assured i wasn't the only one but i could have been lied to.
You are Natasha Beddingfield and I claim my tuppence-ha'penny.

chocky909

Here's one. I always cringe when I have to refer to cannabis. I took about ten seconds to decide what to call it just then. No matter what I call it, I imagine that I appear as if I'm trying to be cool and failing badly. I just can't say any of them nonchalantly. So I have to resort to a silly voice which isn't much better.

Dope, weed, blow, ganga, marjuana, skunk, puff (I never use this), hash. They all sound so naff.

Starlit

Quote from: chocky909 on July 22, 2007, 10:23:34 PM
Here's one. I always cringe when I have to refer to cannabis. I took about ten seconds to decide what to call it just then. No matter what I call it, I imagine that I appear as if I'm trying to be cool and failing badly. I just can't say any of them nonchalantly. So I have to resort to a silly voice which isn't much better.

Dope, weed, blow, ganga, marjuana, skunk, puff (I never use this), hash. They all sound so naff.

I'm with you on that.
I find that weed is the least uncomfortable term to use, but I certainly don't look forward to using it on the rare occasions where I have to.

drberbatov

Sian and Renault are the words which particularly trouble me

Quote from: drberbatov on July 23, 2007, 04:22:26 PM
Sian and Renault are the words which particularly trouble me
Let's hope you never have to talk to the Renault Human Resources office at Rickmansworth.

PAGATRON

You think you lot have got it bad, sometimes people can't understand word that I say.

Dark Sky

Quote from: mister_enmity on July 22, 2007, 12:28:21 PM
I can't pronounce "specific" without extending the "s" sound at the beginning. So it comes off like "pissss-cific".

Ohhhhh no-one can say that!  I was gonna post that I couldn't say that word but realised that it was just a pronunciation thing rather than a "I can't pull off saying this word because my attitude/accent is wrong" thing, which is more what the thread is about.

But yeah, I dread saying the word "specific".  I try to say "particular" instead.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

One of my main problem is my own fucking name. What kind of moron puts a CH just after an X!?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Your name is Exchange? Does that ever make you sad?

Utter Shit

Quote from: Goldentony on July 22, 2007, 02:53:10 PM
On a similar note, it was only after someone noted the correct pronunciation (funnily enough, because THEY had to be explaine they were pronouncing it wrong) of 'awry' that I realised it was 'a-rye', I'd always read it as "awe-ree' for some reason, even though I'd heard the word a thousand times before...it was only when I was both reading it and 'hearing' it at the same time that I realised my mistake.

ziggy starbucks

you know when you're out for a walk in the woods/moors/park and you walk past someone? Well in my neck of the woods there is a common code of conduct which means saying something like "hello" or "alright".

But sometimes I have a bit of a brain fade and just as i'm saying "hello", I get an urge not to and instead say "alright". The consequence is that i say the first bit of "hello" and the last bit of "alright", which comes out as "hellright"