Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:51:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs/Albums which make the world a better place for you

Started by aaaaaaaaaargh!, July 21, 2007, 09:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I really don't want to bore all the people here with my personal life, but I'll do it anyway...

My ex moved out of our house at the start of this month.  We'd been going out for nearly six years, and been living together for over three, by the time we'd broken up.  I've hit a wall, I really have, and I'm finding it fairly hard to cope with things, which brings me to this thread.

A fair proportion of music in my collection is now unlistenable because it reminds me of her.  Out goes swathes of The Smiths, The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Hope Sandoval, Richard Thompson, and many many more (heh, typing it out like that makes it sound like some sort of MOR collection).  I can't even listen to the stuff she complained about when I put it on the stereo!  I just can't bring myself to listen to them anymore, they remind me of her and bring back so many memories of happy and sad times and how I managed to fuck up a great relationship with a lovely person.

I've been trying to listen to music to bring me out of the dark place in which I'm currently residing, trying to take me back to when I felt invincible and could take on the world.  I've been finding this hard though and have relying on the following two records to get me through this:

I don't want to listen to just two records from now until I die!  Please help folks, I need bringing back to where I was before.  Any suggestions would be greatly received, as well as pointers at any previous threads which may have been created on this sort of topic.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quite a lot of lyrics remind you of people when you can't get them out of your head. Perhaps you're listening to those two because the lyrics on the whole don't really say that much.

Utter Shit

Those same songs that you can't listen to right now, you'll look back on in a few years and will only associate the good times with them, they'll be enjoyable for you again eventually.

If I ever need cheering up, "Look What Happened" by Less Than Jake, the second version, does the trick for me. It's just relentlessly, gleefully, unpretentiously happy. I imagine it would annoy the shit out of a lot of people but I love it to bits. What's weird is the original is fairly low-key, a little sombre in tone...the remixed version is the same in lyrics and tune, but rejigged and is somehow far more upbeat.

I have a whole ton of songs which remind me of certain times and places, or simply certain moods...for example I have a few similarly upbeat tunes that I love to stick on my mp3 player when I'm on the move in summer. "Wonderful" by Everclear, "Gramercy Park Hotel" by Edwin McCain and "Bubbly" by Colbie Caillat are all great fun - fantastic sing-along tracks.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Put on some corpse paint and listen to some Kvlt Black Metal. Then go and set fire to a church and piss on someone's grave, whilst making a Black Metal face. GRRRRR!!

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on July 21, 2007, 10:14:45 PM
Put on some corpse paint and listen to some Kvlt Black Metal. Then go and set fire to a church and piss on someone's grave, whilst making a Black Metal face. GRRRRR!!

Been there, done that.

Cheers for the suggestions Simon

Cack Hen

Although I'm far from knowledgeable on the genre, ska is a great choice for a musical pick-me-up.

Anything that's new to your ears, give a load of different stuff a shot, not only with music but in as many aspects of your life as possible. New people, new routine. I suggest the bounciest song ever, 'Rip It Up' by Orange Juice as you start the next stage of your life.

Jemble Fred

It is odd how immediately after a heartbreak certain songs become unlistenable, but then before long the old association just makes them all the more rich to you. Well, okay for 'before long' read 'a few years', but it does eventually happen.

If you're generally touchy about heartbreak, all music can be a cunt. A friend of mine was dumped by his fiancee the other week and asked me round to give him a ukulele lesson. Every song I started to play was in some way about love being shit etc. It's unavoidable.

Listen to some Disney tunes or something.

TC Raymond

Pepotamo1985

Why would anyone? Tapestry is a lovely record, refulgent with exceedingly honest, heartfelt songs; I defy anyone to not feel positively uplifted by 'I Feel The Earth Move'.

TC Raymond

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on July 24, 2007, 11:32:41 AM
Why would anyone? Tapestry is a lovely record, refulgent with exceedingly honest, heartfelt songs; I defy anyone to not feel positively uplifted by 'I Feel The Earth Move'.

And that's just the first track!

Spinal Tap's flower-power period drummer 'Peter James Bond' is on that album, well, the drummer who plays that part anyway. His real name escapes me...something Kunkel? Kunkle?

Ciarán

If you're talking about records which got you through a bad time in your life type of thing, then I'd go for Joni Mitchell's 'Blue' from 1971. Definitely my favourite of her albums.

Thanks for suggestions once again folks.  Unfortunately, I can't listen to any Joni Mitchell - "Blue" was one of her favourite albums and it was on in the car all the time.

This feeling rubbish is painfully enduring.  Have been listening to lots of QOTSA at the moment, nice shouty stuff to get it all out.

Go With The Flow

Oddly enough, I would nominate "Songs For The Deaf" as my album to cheer me up - I always smile when I hear the opening track's radio bit. "I need a saga, what's the saga?"

Why I Hate Tables

Rock and Roll by The Velvet Underground I heard when particularly down and it did the trick, and repeatedly does so. Same with The Manic Street Preachers Faster and the entire Generation Terrorists album, The Loung's debut and (cliche ahead) Faith by The Cure.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Listen to some stupidly OTT gangsta rap whilst driving around in your car. The more bitches and hoes the better.

Geto Boys - Damn it feels Good to be a Gangsta'
TIM DOGG - Fuck Compton
DJ Quik - CPT
Mobb Depp - Shook Ones Pt II
Ice Cube - It Was A Good Day
Dr Dre - Bitches Ain't Shit

Quote from: Why I Hate Tables on July 26, 2007, 01:52:07 PM
Rock and Roll by The Velvet Underground I heard when particularly down and it did the trick, and repeatedly does so. Same with The Manic Street Preachers Faster and the entire Generation Terrorists album, The Loung's debut and (cliche ahead) Faith by The Cure.

Yeah, put on Faster in the pub the other day, that went down well!  Not really listened to much by The Cure, but what I have heard I like a lot, so I'll probably check them out a bit more.  Maybe The Cure might be the cure for me.

Gah, this is terrible.  It took seven weeks of feeling awful for me to even bring myself to creating this thread and expanding on how I feel.  I'm still feeling so incredibly fucked up inside, this has to pass soon, surely?

Cheers for the gangsta rap tip.  I don't have a car, but I could probably rig up a small stereo system to the handlebars of my bike though!

Captain Crunch

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on July 26, 2007, 02:11:57 PMI'm still feeling so incredibly fucked up inside, this has to pass soon, surely?

Yes it will.  It might get worse before it gets better but you will get through it ok, I promise.

Meanwhile, listen to lots of Free.  Any album will do but if you've a spare few quid treat yourself to the 'Song of Yesterday' Boxset. 

Famous Mortimer

The untitled 10" / CD from Slint. Never failed / fails to pick my spirits up.

buttgammon

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on July 26, 2007, 01:59:13 PM
Listen to some stupidly OTT gangsta rap whilst driving around in your car. The more bitches and hoes the better.

Ice Cube - It Was A Good Day

You got that shit right mother fucker! Cool Isley Brothers sample (Footsteps In The Dark) and shit and some bad ass beats, y'all.

And failing that, Rudie Can't Fail by The Clash is really life-affirming.

Angus Podgorny

This would have to be the one for me, no question about it. A beautiful, shimmering, underrated classic and one which means as much to me as any record I've ever owned.

noise667

Quote from: Cack Hen on July 22, 2007, 01:28:31 AM
Although I'm far from knowledgeable on the genre, ska is a great choice for a musical pick-me-up.

Quite agree, the new album by The Big is really good and some of the lyrics are funny ( a sweary Ska band is such a novelty). Also The second? Queens Of The Stone Age album R Rated is a good un. Tim Armstrongs new solo album is good as well. As is anything by The Cardiacs

Canted_Angle

I'm new to this forum. I didn't know where to put my first post so I decided to gleam an idea from high fidelity that 'It's not what you're, its what you like that matters'.

So here's a few albums that make the world a better place for me:

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

LCD Soundsystem - (self titled)

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of silver

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile

The Doors - Strange Days

Tom Waits - Bone Machine

Tool - Lateralus

Coil - Loves secret domain

Queens of the stone age - (self titled)

Anyway, hello to all.

sookmafarter

Cripple Crow by Devendra Banhart always cheers me up - it's impossible to listen to 'I feel like a child' without at least a glimmer of a smile forcing it's way through . . .

thugler