Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:07:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

*** Please get rid of Hotmail from your profiles ***

Started by Neil, July 23, 2007, 02:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on July 24, 2007, 02:49:29 PM
Also, Google offer free POP access over SSL, that might swing it for you Sheepy.

Personally, I'd prefer IMAP, but frankly after losing my Uni e-mail account even POP is welcome. I lost my uni e-mail account recently, and hotmail is a bugger outside of Outlook, so g-mail is far better for me, being someone who uses Linux.

Dark Sky

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2007, 11:39:15 PM
That's why :-)   I get the blasted things bouncing back to the gmail I use for this site, which is very irritating and inconvenient.

Hmm.  But why don't they get delivered when my account is active, and I get lots of lovely junk from lots of other forums, etc, which just goes straight into my junk folder...

ANYHOO I've grumbly set up a googlemail account.  Happy now?

rudi

Predictable, I know, but i really really don't understand what you want me (us?) to do?

greencalx

I had trouble with hotmail silently blocking all mail from my domain for no reason at all.  I wouldn't have minded if the mail had bounced, or gone into users' spam boxes - but it was marked in the logs as having been 'queued for delivery' and never reached the recipients.  Took quite a while to realise this was happening.  Eventually got it fixed, but I seriously recommend anyone who is using hotmail to switch since you could be missing mail and not knowing about it.

Santa's Boyfriend

I've created a new email address at Gmail, but to be honest I'd really like to stick to hotmail if possible, simply because I've got a good email address there.  I'll transfer the profile address, but I doubt I'll ever use the gmail account other than for that - and I don't mind getting spam on my hotmail account as I have it set to exclusive, and all those offers for sex in my junk mail folder make me feel loved, if only for my money...

sunbeam

MojoJojo

Quote from: Steve Lampkins on July 24, 2007, 01:45:47 PM
Gmail really is great. And the built-in chat is really nice.

Why not just delete them? Or set them to be archived with a custom label?

Folders are different to labels. You can still have it archived in 'all mails' with a label.

Interesting articles here and here.

I have a cunning plan... instead of just deleting the emails, you could forward them to another gmail account, and then set that gmail account to vactioning mode (under settings) to tell people to get rid of their hotmail address. This depends on how gmail does it's forwarding... if it sets the reply to address to the account that forwarded it, this won't work.

Neil

Thanks very much Steve, I'll give that a bash and see how it works out.  I've now stopped newbies from signing up with Hotmail and Yahoo, so I'm pretty much happy enough with that.  I can just continue turning off certain options individually where needed.  Thanks folks.