Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:38:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Over an hour since [banned troll] started a new thread...getting worried here guys..

Started by Neil, July 24, 2007, 03:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: [banned troll] on July 25, 2007, 04:02:58 PM
Fuck the ginger-haired big-nosed arseconker. I've shat better songs than he's ever managed.

You are Rats and I claim my £5.

Tokyo Sexwhale

He's no Rats.  Rats could be genuinely and spontaneously funny.  [banned troll] is unfortunately all too predictable.

Suttonpubcrawl

Yeah, he's nothing like Rats, trotsky. I'm not sure why you'd make that comparison except for the fact that you love referring to Rats as a sort of bogeyman figure.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Not even the hint of a Cramlington accent, how could he draw such a comparison?

Generally, he's no rodent one.  I was merely latching onto the fact he thought his songs were so great. 

[shrugs]

Sorry.

Oscar

Ignore them Trotsky, they're just cranky because they haven't had their cocoa.
Your five pounds is in the post

Is it one of those old white ones?  I'm a grandad now and I miss my pounds, shillings and pence, dammit.  (Fully intended with a giant fuck-off smiley wink)

TC Raymond

CaledonianGonzo

Famous Mortimer

I think he may be a bot programmed with having to drag every comedy discussion to the Goodies, pointless meaningless shit about students, "chavs" and the working classes in general, and one-sentence replies that totally ignore everything that's been said before. Actually, I'd rather interact with a bot.

Catalogue Trousers

Hmmmm. Well I mean, who among us doesn't honestly enjoy a nice bit of botting?

/schoolboy

Clinton Morgan

I have been thinking, something which is lethal for me to do as it brings me out in brain aches and gives me that light headed feeling that leads to nausea and vomit less vomiting. Anyway even though TC has posted some stuff that has offended me and has taken some stances that has had the same affect (the comment that all his classmates were of inferior intelligence to him being one example. Now I cannot comment on his persona or on those of his classmates but I will say that I was picked for many reasons and one of them was because I was considered of inferior intelligence. I don't see myself as a victim and I don't have any hostility towards my former bullies as I would cross the road to greet them with a friendly word and smile. Besides I'm not so pure myself, I will confess into joining in some junior school arseholy cuntiness on the minibus because it made me feel like being part of something as opposed to being lonely. What a cunt. I still feel bad even though I did say sorry.) I must say that he isn't the only one. In this forum and especially "General Bullshit/Discussion" I have witnessed a lot of condescending "that's not true" and "I don't understand" (when they do) replies to other people's posts. Now I don't want to take an "Awwww! Leave 'im alone. He once asked if he could use my gags (oh what a give away!), so 'e cannot be dat bad" stance but I will write this, I am finding an insy-winsy-spider-bit of hypocrisy in our annoyance with [banned troll]'s emotional rants and at times outbursts. He does take the moral high-ground in his own way but don't we all?

Without searching through the forum's history I can remember a handful of my own personal rants and the replies they got. I once referred to the pop music of one Robbie Williams as clever music for stupid people and (more judgemental) as music for hairdressers. Written in the modern sense of the word as opposed to the homophobic sense of the word. This prompted one Sam and Janet Evening (I think) to tell me that perhaps I was being a little too harsh and that I shouldn't have a go at the public at large because they haven't heard of Captain Beefheart. During one thread about modern television I replied to one poster who said that today's television was better in terms of the movies and animation that it shows with something that could only be described as vitriolic spiel about how the poster was wrong in what he had just written. The original poster (whose moniker escapes me) replied with something like "I may be [insert insulting term here. Goodness did I directly insult you? Apologies. I'm such a dunderhead] but at least my argument doesn't wander all about the place." The Mumbler also asked me if I had written any books as he'd love to read them. Bloody Nora! (That's a cocktail consisting of black pudding, fags, soapy water squirted from a sponge, stout and bread and jam by the way) When I described those who liked Charlie Brooker's 'How To Watch Television' as "some fuckers" I was called a cunt. The only time it has happened and despite hurting my feelings in all honesty it is probably fair comment. In fact I am more upset when my life long pre-internet friends are referred to in the possibly-perceived-negative by those who have never met them as in "is he a dick?"(N.B.: The whole, "I've never met Boris Johnson does that mean I cannot call him a cunt?" doesn't wash with me. Incidentally I had a nice letter from Boris in words that run totally counter to his manicured public persona. I wrote to protest against the Iraq war by the way). I also did a rant about ITV3 on Bank Holiday and nobody answered which is probably the wisest thing to do. Ignore the silly, arms waving emotionalist and he or she will hopefully disappear. Anyway those are just a few examples of my mad ranting (with judgement calls) and the responses they got. Ranting can be glorious and inspirational if they are informed but they can also be comical (sometimes offensive) if they are based on nothing more than ignorance and emotion which mine are unfortunately. However it would be a shame if the art of the rant disappeared from this site.

I would argue that each and everyone on this forum and on NotBBC and the original SOTCAA forum has just been as judgemental on those-who-are-not-them as [banned troll] has been. For example there is a thread somewhere about most people being idiots and another titled 'The Customer Is Always Shite'. I don't think Alexei Sayle's decision to put the general public in Room 101 was tut-tutted by the "that's not true" brigade (Oh Christ! Stupidity is contagious. I thought I was already immune by being thick) and Emergency Lalla Ward Ten (a respected poster on this forum) criticized the Great British television viewing public for ignoring such a good programme as 'The Dame Edna Treatment'. One of the noticeable things about SOTCAA was their use of the word pleb and variants of. "Plebgasm of a show" as a description of 'Don't Forget Your Toothbrush' was one favourite of mine. Mike once suggested sticking a NO PLEBS sign outside the Yorkshire Grey for the first ever SOTCAA Meet. When somebody on the SOTCAA forum took offense about their use of the word pleb, TJ Worthington replied with the phrase "be careful" as most likely as much of the contingent of SOTCAA come from pleb backgrounds. You may scoff (Gwan! Eat that lemon pie!) but isn't that similar to the [banned troll] defence of "I come from that background!"? Quite recently one poster described a person in a photograph in these terms, "Looks to me more like someone who'd be appearing in newspapers with the caption "LONER: Neighbours said he rarely spoke."." The 'Bleakest Conversation' thread is also quite judgemental on certain members of our society as well. [banned troll] may be the loudest on this forum but he is not the only one judging other people as idiots. Incidentally just because I'm typing a whole bunch of words here it doesn't make me right. Anyway, I think my opinions and viewpoints should be ignored. Actually what are opinions and viewpoints for? Are they there to help us guide how we conduct ourselves in our lives and should only be spoken in terms of proper argument to see if they hold any weight or do they exist merely to vomit out of our mouths damning all and sundry who don't share our own? One can either be a mighty river or a pond which inevitably turns into a swamp. My turn to speak now.

Do we find [banned troll]'s views on the working class offensive because they are about the working class or because they are tar-brushing judgement calls? Haven't we all made judgement calls in the past in this forum? There's probably a lot on the 'Little Britain/Mild Cheddar' thread and Roy 'Chubby' Brown's audience was criticized too for cheering when he had a go at asylum seekers. Out of interest what would the response be had [banned troll] wrote and drawn a vitriolic and acidic comic strip about the class he came from if it was the equivalent of and as good as 'Abigail's Party'? Now I don't use terms like chav and pikey because I find them negative-judgemental words. One is making a value judgement when using such words. In fact I think words like 'chav' came out of fear. Despite John Major's wish of a classless society, Tony Blair's people's class and the misconception that somehow we are all middle class the awareness of so-called Vicki Pollards and the like are a reminder that there are people who don't fit in our Working Title produced Richard Curtis written nation. The fact that we have used insulting terms such as chav and pikey are probably due to our fear of those who don't fit into Ignorant Middle England. Great googly moogly, who's being hypocritical now in terms of judging others? Yes, me. Tar brushing is an activity I find offensive but are we really so pure and without that plank in the eye that Jesus mentioned to tut those with the brush currently in their hand? I think we have all tarred with the same brush on this forum at various times.

Bugger! I've just realized I've fucked up this thread which was initially quite humorous in intent. Whilst sick of a pike's sketch made me chuckle (my favourite being "stuck in first gear") I do get the feeling that we are not immune. I don't wish to tut what has been written previously by posters upset and offended by [banned troll]'s comments but despite having the feeling that he has brought it on himself I get the slight itchy feeling that it is not only him on this website that have tarred with the same brush those who are about to get tarred. Aren't we painting ourselves as better people by hauling him over hot cyber-coals?

[banned troll] says he is right wing. I am neither right wing nor left wing and neither am I a liberal. I subscribe to the politics of nice and kindism. Try and see the good in people. As Willy Russell once (paraphrasedly by me) said to a writing student, "Try to see the character as more than just a vicar". I hope I can see the good in people but then again I find myself seething "Grrr. Snarl. The general public!" during occasional periods. The good I see in TC is his drawing ability (wish I could draw like that) and the fact that it was him who started the thread about the incidental music used in 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' which led to one poster uploading 'Eye of Horus'. This is an annoying and pointless thread but then again I am being Mr On-The-Other-Hand. In fact Thurman Publishing has already released a book about me.

Anyway ignore all the rubbish I have written up above. It's not worth commenting on as it is wholly worthless. These sillysophical thoughts have been giving me a raging headache. Anyway I think I should leave Cookd and Bombd as it's distracting me from other important internet stuff. You are all lovely scrumptious people from Boing to Neil and back. My postings haven't been worth a dime anyway.

Au Revoir
Love
Lady B
x (Ooh hang on that's somebody else.)

P.S. How ever I will have one last word. I find it shameful that ITV3 have ignored their mother channel's working class based and geared towards situation comedy history. Showing repeats of 'Don't Wait Up' indeed. Shame on you.
P.P.S. 'Hairspray' is a great fun escapist movie that makes you forget you've seen a giant headed Ricky Gervais in an earlier trailer.
P.P.P.S. With lines like "It's like Hogwatts for pikeys" and "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off" I hope 'St Trinian's' bombs.
P.P.P.P.S. Frank Zappa's bloody brilliant.
P.P.P.P.P.S. I wonder what TJ Worthington makes all of this. His uncommon sense is really what is needed.
P.P.P.P.P.P.S. All of us. PUT THAT BLOODY BRUSH DOWN!

Neil

No, fair play, Clinton.  Navel-gazing is an intrinsic part of this forum, after all, and I've been waiting for a similar post as it's clear that some (particularly including that passive-aggressive clique-tagger) have a skewed view of what's been going on.  Perhaps I also do, as I was pretty lit for some of last week, and really enjoyed watching you all reacting.

[banned troll] is a big character.  I like him, I think he could fit in and be a unique forumer.  But, he does do things which piss people off.  You've came up with isolated examples of other people doing similar things, but you're way off the mark; it's really the frequency that's an issue here.  More than that, it's his response to people's irritation which has further stoked the irritation.  I quite like that about him, that he didn't pick option A (meekly fit in) or B (post the 'taking a break' or 'byeeeee' thread), but instead opted for C (fuck you, I'll show you how annoying I can be.)

The thing is, while I enjoyed that (and I reckon [banned troll] did too), it's not a long-term thing.  You have to shift about a bit in order to fit in with a community.  Unless you're completly psychotic like Rats or something.  Anyway, over the last two weeks [banned troll] has been playing up to his new image on here, revelling in it to a degree, and therefore causing more vitriol to be spewed in his direction.  THAT is the main reason why any accusations of "bullying" or such-like are balls.

I'm sure [banned troll] will settle down, stop banging on about his hobby horses as much, turn the compound swearing down to 2, and just generally fit in a bit better.  And that's what some of this has been about; a community needs to regulate itself.

Anyway, all said and done, it's been ace on here the past few weeks, and things are really starting to tick over nicely again.  Now tempers are fraying a bit due to the indian summer, but y'know, just chillax, guy.