Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:36:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"THE WATCHMEN" MOVIE - FINALLY?

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, July 26, 2007, 11:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

gatchamandave

Quote from: Deadman97 on March 06, 2008, 08:29:15 PM
Huge news- my contact inside the production (who is real and actually exists) also just mailed me the first actual production still of Ozymandias' genetically-manipulated pet, Bubastis:

More news as it comes in.

Man, that cat looks so pissed off..

olafr

Quote from: gatchamandave on March 06, 2008, 11:18:32 PM
Man, that cat looks so pissed off..

Of course he looks pissed-off. He's read the script and he knows Veidt pushes the button on him and Dr. Manhattan at the end. No sequel for that feline.

Catalogue Trousers

Nik Drou wrote:

QuoteI...don't know.  I can see what they tried to do, and it could've looked so much worse, but it just feels...wrong.

Especially agree with you there on Silk Spectre. Sorry to piss on the chips of those who seem to love it, but she just looks like an Elektra clone. Just the sort of crummy, hard-case fetishist look that we're supposed to feel sad that she seems to be contemplating adopting at the end of the original.

samadriel

Can't say I follow you there, Cat'; it's the Comedian-echoing vaguely fascist fetishism of her planned costume that's meant to raise hackles, and I wouldn't describe her current uniform that way.

I dunno whether to be confident or not of this one; they appear to be putting in loads of thoroughly deserved effort, but adaptation's such a difficult thing, especially for something like Watchmen; stray too far, and you fail; stay too close, and you may well fail (all that 'purple' talk regarding the jail; IIRC, a purple tint is what they favour over grey in comics colouring, at least back in the day, so I hope they're not going all 'Batman Forever'/'Dick Tracy' in their slavishness to the colour scheme...).

terminallyrelaxed

Snyhder introduces the youtube video contest to make the adverts for the TV in the film. Cheaper than making them I suppose.

Glebe

Dave Gibbon's has a book of concept art for the graphic novel coming out sometime, some of it has been revealed:

WatchMenComciMovie.com - Watchmen Concept Art Revealed.

Xander

Can anybody else see the picture of The Minutemen here? I just get a lovely red X.

http://aintitcool.com/node/36885

Nik Drou

Here it is...

Spoiler alert
[close]

The more I see of this, the more it just doesn't look like a good idea.

Xander

Ah. I would say 'cheers' but I think I'd have preferred to stay in the dark with that one. In my best Kevin McCloud voice "I appreciate what they're trying to do here, but..."

CaledonianGonzo

I quite like it, and think it bodes well for attention to detail on the project.  Sure, there are a couple of minor tweaks to the costumes of what are (for the most part) minor characters - surely done in the case of people like the Comedian to provide continuity to the 80s incarnations without having to rely on extraneous exposition - but the fact that they're including a '40s Minutemen back-story at all is a sign that someone cares.

As always with this project, though, its the sheer volume of plot that they have to either cram in or leave out that's going to hobble them.  They're in a very real damned if the do, damned if they don't situation...

Nik Drou

Well, again, it could indeed have been a lot worse and I should be happy that they bothered with this level of faithfulness to the source material to start with (most other adaptations would've probably ignored or changed these characters massively). 

Silk Spectre does look lovely, though, I am starting to warm a little to it.  I think what bothers me the most is Hooded Justice.  Even for the time, he should be a somewhat more intimidating figure, but here he just looks like another silly person in a silly costume. 

Xander

Totally agree on Hooded Justice. As one commentator noted "He's suspected to be a weightlifter. The only thing it looks like he's been lifting is buckets of chicken."

Also, don't know how many know this, but Snyder confirmed that the film is running close to three hours. There are bits and bobs in a New York Times article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/26/business/media/26retail.html?_r=4&pagewanted=1&oref=slogin

CaledonianGonzo

Would it make people feel any better if they discover that his appearance in the background of this photo (which may itself be only glimpsed in the movie for a second) may well be his only appearance in the movie?

Plus, they all look faintly ridiculous anyway.  I assumed that was partly the point.

MojoJojo

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 27, 2008, 11:20:30 AM
Plus, they all look faintly ridiculous anyway.  I assumed that was partly the point.

Yeah, I was going to say something similar. The costumed heroes are all playing games, except for Ozymandias and Rorscharche.

terminallyrelaxed

Awesome wallpaper on that watchmencomicmovie site, my office is now a world of yellow and black.

mothman

There IS something "off" about that photo - they don't look convincing. Ridiculous they may well have looked, but they were also (in the comic, and albeit briefly) regarded as formidable crime-fighters. That doesn't come over in the film's re-creation of the photo. It just looks like they got a random bunch of people (and got them to make their own costumes!). I suppose we should be grateful they made that much effort at all, given only two of the characters in it are alive in the "present day" reality of the comic/film, and likely played by different, older actors. Of course, I'm not including the Comedian in those two since he dies right at the start. Do we know if the actor playing the older Comedian is also playing his younger self? Because it looks like he's much older (or badly made up to look younger) in this photo.

wheatgod

It looks like a shit fancy dress party.

I don't see what the problem is- it looks exactly like the comic book, to my eyes anyway!

Nik Drou

Quote from: mothman on May 27, 2008, 03:09:09 PM
Do we know if the actor playing the older Comedian is also playing his younger self? Because it looks like he's much older (or badly made up to look younger) in this photo.

I believe all of them play both their younger and older selves.  It was partly why they went with a young(ish) cast, as it's generally easier to make someone up to seem older than the other way round.

Xander

Quote from: Nik Drou on May 27, 2008, 05:46:33 PM
I believe all of them play both their younger and older selves.  It was partly why they went with a young(ish) cast, as it's generally easier to make someone up to seem older than the other way round.

Note the scary, scary CG/photoshop work on Xavier and Magneto in X-Men: The Last Stand for further proof...brrr....

Nik Drou

Really? I thought that bit was done quite well.  Maybe I need to watch it again.....on second thoughts, no.....I won't.

Xander

Quote from: Nik Drou on May 27, 2008, 06:13:45 PM
Really? I thought that bit was done quite well.  Maybe I need to watch it again.....on second thoughts, no.....I won't.

It was done very well - in a misty eyed, rose tinted, heavily make-uped homoerotic sort of way.

To be fair, that scene was probably one of the best in the film, but whatever had been done to Magneto and Xavier to make them look younger was terrible. I've been looking for a screencap but I think people would fear it'd break the internet.

Deadman97

What's this all about then?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jeslfkbmcE[/youtube]

Are they going all viral on us, Dark Knight-style or something?

The Deadman on that comments page isn't me, by the way. Cuh, the cheek.

no_offenc

Quote from: Deadman97 on June 22, 2008, 05:17:11 PM
What's this all about then?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jeslfkbmcE[/youtube]

Are they going all viral on us, Dark Knight-style or something?

The Deadman on that comments page isn't me, by the way. Cuh, the cheek.

It's one of the entries in a "make your own Veidt ad" competition that Snyder ran on Youtube.  The winning entry/entries will be put into the film in the background, I think.